Canada Post Small Business registration question

All I use ebay for is to sell my personal belongings as an individual, and I don't have a business name or registered officially or anything. If I put down a business name on Canadapost to register for the Small Business account and get the discounts, what are the implications?

Does it matter to any official agencies? Is it a legally declared name? Is this tied to taxes? Or can you put down joke names like "sending my old junks to my bro" and no one will care? What if you wrote down existing company name like "Burger King" for giggles?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

You should use your real name as it appears on your bank account.

If Canada Post ever issues you a refund they will send you a cheque with the account name on it. I have been refunded twice for expresspost that were delivered late and they sent me cheques both times. If you call your self a factitious name you would have trouble cashing that cheque. 

Also using the name of an existing business such as "Burger King" without authorization from that business could be considered fraud.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

@pansophic.innovator wrote:

... If I put down a business name on Canadapost to register for the Small Business account and get the discounts, what are the implications?

Does it matter to any official agencies? Is it a legally declared name? Is this tied to taxes? ...

It is not tied to the tax department. It only matters to Canada Post.

I use my ebay handle.  I would not recommend getting too fanciful with what you use.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply