Canada Post Underpaid Shipping Charges

Has anybody had any luck dealing with Canada Post on underpaid shipping charges that are being charged both on Paypal and Shippo labels?  I get these charges quite regularly, but my packages are correctly weighed and measured.  In fact, if you compare your measurements to what Canada Post is claiming the package measures, some of them are WAY off the mark.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Canada Post Underpaid Shipping Charges

Happens all the time. The good thing about it is that you know that you are not overpaying and it is really not much trouble to top it up.

Last month I weighed a package and did not notice that my scale was set to lbs and not kilos. So using the numbers (can't remember exactly what they were) on the scale I printed the label. After I printed the label I noticed the error. I had over paid by $12.00 - so I had already printed the label and it was a pricey item, so I let it go into the mail.

BIG SURPRISE - guess what?  I did not receive a refund for the over payment - not that I really expected to.

Hypocritical SOB's - so they can just come after me for the extra nickles and dimes.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 21 of 32
latest reply

@rosscd57 

There was a short time last month I believe where they may have been doing some upgrades in Shippo. When you logged in the weight was in lbs but measurements were cms by default. It happened on a weekend. Curious to know if many got incorrectly billed?

-Lotz

PS. Your refund cheque is in the mail. Nottttt!!!

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

I quit using Shippo before New Years - here is my last post on it and why:

"I stopped using Shippo about three weeks ago. Had trouble with their system handling two items in one box and I never have liked the way information handled. Plus there screens stink. Specially did not like the fact that they make their withdrawals from my PayPal account in lump sums. They added three or four sales label charges and did not itemized the funds for the labels and made them hard to find so I had trouble checking their work.

And the worst - if Shippo makes a mistake - good luck. You are on your own.

So! I went back to PayPal just for a change. Exceptionally easy and unlike Shippo you can review and check all the information before you hit the purchase button. Plus their fee structure and label withdrawals are transparent and easy to find.

Plus it was a bit cheaper.

Plus with PayPal there is fairly good support by phone.

I cancelled my Shippo account the next day and deleted it from Ebay's third party link."

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 23 of 32
latest reply

@fatdane wrote:

It has been a few years, but my feeble old memory recalls that Lee Valley Tools sued Canada Post Post for being overcharged on parcels shipped by Lee Valley. In 2013 Canada Post agreed to pay $5 million plus legal fees to settle the lawsuit but did not "admit" any guilt.  

To add my feeble memory on this issue. As I recall the Lee Valley thing was about packages that were NOT square or rectangular. Packages sent in triangular packaging (think mailing tube alternatives) were being calculated for DIMM weight as if they were rectangular.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 24 of 32
latest reply

I've been having this happen quite a bit over the last year. I got nailed with I don't know how many of these over the Christmas season and I just got another today. This is despite the fact that I use standard sized boxes that are the same every time. Paypal shipping does not allow dimensional decimal points so I guess if I am .2 cm off they can nail me.

This is getting sufficiently irritating that I'm considering closing my store.  Given that our economy is in shambles you would think that they would ease up a bit.

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

Using Standard size boxes means nothing.. .

Have been purchasing standard size boxes for the past 20 years from various sources and in recent years the manufacturing of said boxes has resulted in many not so uniform sizing... many of the boxes aren't even put together uniformly...each and every box has to be physically measured in several places, prior to preparing the shipping labels. I use metric for measuring and always round up if there is any doubt.

It is extremely important to have accurate measurements...I have tested various measurements for price quoting purposes and in many cases rounding up, rounding down will make a difference in the postage cost. Measuring accurately takes a little extra time but it is worth it...

It may also be noted I DO NOT use Shippo; never have...I use PayPal shipping.

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Are you physically measuring the packages each time? If you are using the dimensions written on the box, those are inside dimensions.

It is a good idea to  put your measurement to the next number so if it is 15.2cm, enter 16 cm.

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

It may also be noted I DO NOT use Shippo; never have...I use PayPal shipping.

Which has nothing to do with it. Canada Post measures the packages and will charge the seller back if the dimensions were under regardless of the site used to print the label.

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

The last couple of months I have been measuring each box. It has not made much difference.
Message 29 of 32
latest reply

I usually round up. Does not seem to matter.
Message 30 of 32
latest reply

Yes, I realize that, was only mentioning Shippo as there have been issues with Shippo labels

Message 31 of 32
latest reply

do you measure the box in several different places on each side?

Message 32 of 32
latest reply