Canada Post - what to do?

I shipped an item to Germany - with tracking - expensive. The item's tracking stated that the delivery agent couldn't locate the place to deliver. The buyer has completed several transactions on eBay with no issues. The tracking says the item is being returned to me. I opened a dispute with Canada post for non delivery and they said it is being returned to me and therefore closed the dispute. I have yet to receive the item back, the buyer wants a full refund, and if I do get the item back I'm out the expensive shipping/ insurance costs and Canada Post keeps their money. What can be done?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Canada Post - what to do?

Just be happy IF you actually get it back.

Be warned, it could take a couple of months for the return to actually happen.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Returns are not a high priority for any shipping service, so it may take some time to get your item back.

Unfortunately, since you cannot prove delivery, you do owe your customer that refund and should issue it promptly.

When anyone mentions Germany  and delivery problems, my mind goes to a scam common enough with Germans where the buyer claims non-delivery, then when the refund is issued, goes to the post office, pays the duty which was why it was being Held, and gets his now much cheaper stolen item. It's not common but it happens and it always seems to be Germany.

However, this customer has good feedback , the tracking sounds plausible, and the return is underway.  So ... except for looking on Google Maps to see what the address looks like, I'm afraid this is an expensive loss. At least, small comfort, it is only the shipping charges you will be out.

When you do get it back and relist it, you may decide to refuse shipping outside of North America for this particular item.

This is where Cookie Jar Insurance (self-insurance) comes in. The money you have made on over 100 successful transactions partly offsets your loss on this one.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Did you check the tracking update on Canada Post or on the German post office?

I ask because I've several times had things "translated" on Canada Post into return to sender which in fact weren't.

If you haven't already, I suggest also checking the tracking on the Germany post office that might also answer some questions...

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

So it looks like I will be out the shipping costs.

This is what Canada Post stated:

Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting Canada Post about the item identified below.

Our records show that the item is being returned to you. Typically, it may take from 30 to 60 days for you to receive the item if it was mailed to the USA or an international destination.

Now that our investigation is complete, we will proceed with closing the file. Thank you, once again, for bringing this matter to our attention.

Don't they have an obligation to deliver. If unable to deliver I at least should get a shipping refund?

p.s. the buyer wants to purchase the item again...we need to wait for it to be returned to me first though...who pays shipping? This is silly.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

He pays the shipping again.

And he must provide a usable address.

Can either of you work out the reason why Deutsche Poste could not deliver the guitar?

Oh.

Some guitars use rare woods. We have seen reports from US transactions where this has caught a CERTES blockage, and even the destruction of the instrument.

I agree that Canada Post owes you the shipping cost. You still have the Canada Post receipt for your shipment right? What insurance or guarantees are available for that service?

Message 6 of 6
latest reply