Dealing with DAMAGED large and heavy items during shipping

During our two week eBay restriction we took a hard look at the items that were received damaged (at the customer end) and our methods of packaging and shipping. As consumers ourselves we know what it's like to expect something new but not recieve it in the condition that was promised. As sellers we also know the pressure and burden that customers place on us when items received don't arrive in the condition that they expect. 

An example of items that we ship out on a regular basis:

Weight: 40-50 lbs

Width: 25-30"

Length: 35 - 40"

Height: 3-5"

The suppliers original packaging are flimsy and they use single wall cardboard construction all around. Leaning the package on something sharp or curved for a few minutes will leave indents in the cardboard and on the products inside. So our intial approach was to double box it to protect it from getting dented during shipping. Finding a box this large for shipping was another problem. The few results we got were TV and mirror moving boxes that were single wall construction. These one-time use moving boxes were too flimsy and expensive for our budget, instead we went ahead and got double wall (AB flute) carboard sheets to protect our packages.

flute.jpg

Using some of the carboard development templates online we scored and cut out cardboard boxes and sized them to our package. We even left enough room to add cardboard bumpers and spacers to edges that were prone to damage. We hope this method will help us improve our customer end experience with us.

We'll post here and update on the feedback we get.

idea

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The B flute I'm used to was single wall and gummed. I would make a sort of sandwich/cornish pasty/empanada of it with the book in plastic to protect from both water and that gum.

But my books are very different from your products.
I've since switched to simple poly envelopes for paperbacks, which are less labour and much cheaper. No complaints and a few compliments on packaging.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

hlmacdon
Community Member

The experienced prepack furniture brands that target the dropship sector will usually design their own foam packaging for at least the ends with heavier corrugated sheets for the tops and bottom surfaces. Something like Ikea packaging on the other hand isn't designed for reshipping,  just designed to survive overseas in a cargo container sitting on a pallet. Trying to brace just the corners can often lead to puncture damage as unless you are paying for entire palllet height of volume in a truck stuff is going to get stacked on top of it.  One of the worst categories of products to ship but that is why the markups are in the hundreds of percent. The guys who have done well in this space never touch the product, it all goes brand direct to the consumer. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

If the cardboard bumpers don't provide the protection sought try pool noodles.   They have just about a perfect cushioning factor in the, firm but give just a bit and can be bent around corners.    I use them for heavy or large shipments.  Noodles can also be easily, and cleanly cut in half or to size.   

I have attached a picture of one shipment with full noodles wrapped around the outside and ones cut in half on the top and bottom.   I have also just used them to make 4 corner buffers vs the full wrap around.  

The regular ones are $1.25 at the dollar store, but I look for them at yard sales which is really cheap.  I also got a number of jumbo ones last fall in clearance for $1 each. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply