Does MP ever withdraw from your CDN bank acct?

I'm just about to sign up for MP.

I sell on .com.

I have a $USD acct at my Canadian bank. This account charges a fee for every withdrawl.  Are there times when MP takes money out of your bank acct?  For those of you who've been on MP for a while, how often/many times has MP taken from your acct?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I've been on MP since mid April and chose weekly payouts. To date, I've not had ebay withdraw any funds at all, but I've not run into any unexpected fees or refunds nor do I use ebay labels ... all of those can easily put available funds into negative territory and trigger a bank account withdrawal. There are steps that can be taken to minimize that from happening though.

The most obvious solution would be to use a $USD credit card to backup the funds available in MP, that way your credit card would be charged instead of having MP withdrawing willy nilly from your bank account.

Again, I'm not an ebay labels user but one would think those purchases can be charged to a credit card, or at the very least backup available funds if they prove to be insufficient. The downside of buying lables with a USD card on DOTca would be the currency conversion involved in doing that.

The point is to have it setup so that MP bills your USD credit card whenever backup funding is required, then at months end just pay the balance off from your USD bank account. To my way of thinking an arrangement along those lines would be very simple to maintain.

The key point is to avoid setting your bank account as the backup funding source to eliminate unwanted withdrawals. Somewhere along the line I remember MP asking what method I wanted to use as my backup funding source, now I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out where exactly that choice can be edited. Looking around various places on the MP Payments page there's an option to add a payment source in My eBay/Account which lists bank account, credit card or PayPal, I'm thinking that's probably where the change can be made.  For most people the default is probably Paypal when MP is first activated.

How much is the withdrawal fee?

I know it's more difficult to find banks offering low fee or no fee USD chequing accounts but I have to believe they're probably available from some of the online only banks.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:

I've been on MP since mid April and chose weekly payouts. To date, I've not had ebay withdraw any funds at all, but I've not run into any unexpected fees or refunds nor do I use ebay labels ... all of those can easily put available funds into negative territory and trigger a bank account withdrawal. There are steps that can be taken to minimize that from happening though.

The most obvious solution would be to use a $USD credit card to backup the funds available in MP, that way your credit card would be charged instead of having MP withdrawing willy nilly from your bank account.

Again, I'm not an ebay labels user but one would think those purchases can be charged to a credit card, or at the very least backup available funds if they prove to be insufficient. The downside of buying lables with a USD card on DOTca would be the currency conversion involved in doing that.

The point is to have it setup so that MP bills your USD credit card whenever backup funding is required, then at months end just pay the balance off from your USD bank account. To my way of thinking an arrangement along those lines would be very simple to maintain.

The key point is to avoid setting your bank account as the backup funding source to eliminate unwanted withdrawals. Somewhere along the line I remember MP asking what method I wanted to use as my backup funding source, now I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out where exactly that choice can be edited. Looking around various places on the MP Payments page there's an option to add a payment source in My eBay/Account which lists bank account, credit card or PayPal, I'm thinking that's probably where the change can be made.  For most people the default is probably Paypal when MP is first activated.

How much is the withdrawal fee?

I know it's more difficult to find banks offering low fee or no fee USD chequing accounts but I have to believe they're probably available from some of the online only banks.

Now when I  receive my monthly invoice for store fees (with MP) it mentions an ADD feature for paying fees. When you get to your Payouts section you can only change. Originally when I was enrolled there were several other options in that section. They have been slowly stripped away. Additional choices for paying fees would be a major improvement for MP.

In recently checking my PayPal it's extremely easy to add additional methods. I never needed a back up in the past because I ALWAYS had a balance to cover planned purchases. Now even our freebie shipping supplies transaction will be a nuisance purchase because of having to cover any taxes or overage which makes MP extremely limited in usefulness.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies 

I really don't know if they've moved the "add payment" option or not, but it is darned hard to find now ... I don't imagine many would think to look in My eBay / Account ... for some reason it's not available anywhere in the Seller Hub Payments pages, not that I could find anyway. 

Screenshots below, go to the top of any page and select My eBay / Summary. In summary there's 3 tabs avavailable,  Activity / Messages / Account .... select Account, then Payments from the list on the left side.

Screenshot (224)_LI.jpg

Screenshot (225)_LI.jpg

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera 

Thanks. Standard thinking it should show up in both places. The link that is included with the invoice brings you directly the Payouts section but it also includes links for the DOA fee calculator from yesteryear along with a couple of other non-working links. It's still a bit bewildering that you can pay your fees with PayPal.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Agreed, very strange location. Are you saying the tools i screenshot were originally included on the SH / Payments / Payout Settings page? That's where they should be located.

Yeah, I don't see PayPal as being particularly relevant once a seller has been activated in MP, unless they happen to have other markets directing funds there.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera 

I dont recall exactly. I just remember there being a longer list from when I first enrolled, over 3 months ago. Change was verbiage used only in the invoice email with no way to change when you arrived.

My guess MP overall will be a work in progress (with regular tinkering) until they get the kinks out of it.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

You said;

My guess MP overall will be a work in progress (with regular tinkering) until they get the kinks out of it.

I can't help but wonder if they  will ever get the kinks out of it due to the fact that eBay does not have a good track record for fixing things. Not a good sign for a company that has been in business for many, many years!

A prime example is their shopping cart.  It has been active for years now. Sometimes it works fine and other times it does not work well at all. Often I have issues with it as a seller and as a buyer as well.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Remember all the glitches when Loblaw combined the PC Plus loyalty scheme with the Shoppers Optimum Program? I still have problems with uncredited points every so often.

Technology isn’t always pretty.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Can't comment on that because I have never had either of these programs.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply