Ebay gave unrealistic delivery for before Christmas - WWYD?

Ebay gave unrealistic delivery for before Christmas - WWYD?  I list it on .com and I put economy shipping as it is sent media mail using chit chats.  They purchased it on the weekend, I will drop it off on Dec 19, it won't get to the US until Dec 20 or Dec 21 depending on the snow here.  It is being sent media mail and that takes at least 2 weeks at the best of times. 

This is a Christmas CD, would you email the buyer and tell him/her that they will not get it by the estimated date?  Did they want to cancel it?   WWYD?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I'd let the customer know that the CD is unlikely to arrive before Christmas, and ask if he would prefer to cancel.

If he refuses, I'd upgrade to a faster service.

Not every transaction will go smoothly.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

It sounds like you selected US domestic Economy Shipping, which provides 1 - 10 business days. Even so, that still puts it after Christmas.

About 6 months ago the time frames provided got glitchy, hope that is not occuring again. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Personally I never (well almost never) look at eBay's delivery estimates. I did lookm recently because I found I was dinged for a late shipment (No tracking uploaded although there was one). Not really suprised as it was an APC shipment to the Netherlands which sat in NY for a week waiting to get on a flight to Europe.

I ship a lot via Media Mail and have never had a late shipment within the US and even the few that are late don't count because the tracking was uploaded and scanned by USPS within my handling time.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

No i put economy shipping from Canada.  

WTH.jpg

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The screenshot shows US as country and a BC Postal code.   Is that time frame the same if you us the US Zip code of the buyer?  

Economy from Canada is 1-10 days so if it shows the same delivery with the US Zip the glitch is back. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Zip codes don't affect generic shipping options.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Ebay gave unrealistic delivery for before Christmas - WWYD?  I list it on .com and I put economy shipping as it is sent media mail using chit chats.  They purchased it on the weekend, I will drop it off on Dec 19, it won't get to the US until Dec 20 or Dec 21 depending on the snow here.  It is being sent media mail and that takes at least 2 weeks at the best of times. 

This is a Christmas CD, would you email the buyer and tell him/her that they will not get it by the estimated date?  Did they want to cancel it?   WWYD?

Seems to be a big time issue across all the boards. This is from dot com. (Even with the wording...Pretty sure its cases being opened while items are still in transit vs not even shipped.) One of many. Also reported on dot UK even with the small grace period because of rotating strikes etc.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/I-ve-been-having-this-issue-all-week-I-have-buyers-opening-ite...

-Lotz

Message 8 of 8
latest reply