GST, HST, and VAT

My question of the day for any sellers which include Tax in their prices.

If you sell an item to a country that you are not required to collect tax from, do you reduce the price by the amount of the Tax or Vat?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

GST, HST, and VAT

Canadian sellers registered with GST/HST are required to remit the amount of tax collectable based on the province of the buyer for Canadian buyers.  No tax needs to be remitted for sales outside Canada.

For years I have sold on the basis that buyers do not pay GST/HST.  It is included in my price, if applicable.

Typically, the weighted average GST/HST payable within Canada works out to about 10% (from 5% to 17%).

In my own experience, selling worldwide, sales from Canadian sellers to Canadian buyers average 20% of all sales.

So for every $1000 in sales, on average,  $200 would be within Canada on which I would remit approximately $20 in GST/HST (of course the exact calculations would be done when reporting the tax).

I would simply absorb the tax (2% of sales) as any other marketing or sales expense.

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

GST, HST, and VAT

I haven't hit the limit by which I am required to collect tax but I have spent some time thinking about how I will handle it when I do. Assuming that I will not ask buyers to pay GST + PST on their purchases and instead remit that tax myself form the asking price, I would NOT reduce the item price for foreign buyers. What I would do to compensate is subsidize foreign shipping by a roughly equal amount to that which has been added to the item price to cover the taxes I must remit. 

It seems easier. 

Plus, right or wrong, buyers seem to distrust sales tax collected on ebay. There was an ecommerce post about it recently. http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/letters/blog.pl?/pl/2017/4/1491996005.html

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

GST, HST, and VAT

My situation is exactly the same as Pierres (we're both stamp sellers and our buyers generally expect the taxes to be included).

Over time, generally the variance in the US$ offsets me eating the taxes given I sell on .COM in US$
Message 4 of 29
latest reply

GST, HST, and VAT

Thanks for the replies.

So, as a buyer if I purchase something from Europe which has a high VAT and VAT is included in the price, I am actually paying more than I should as the seller then pockets the VAT amount as profit?

Hence tax included can raise prices drastically if it happens to be an expensive item?

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

GST, HST, and VAT

All my items include the tax which I pay out of pocket. Since my Canadian sales are around 5-10% of my gross eBay sales it isn't a financial burden. 

My prices stay the same for every country I sell too.... 

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

GST, HST, and VAT

"Hence tax included can raise prices drastically if it happens to be an expensive item?"

It depends how a seller calculates the tax.

As explained above, the tax only worked out to 2% of my selling price on average, selling on eBay for 19 years.  It was included in my "cost of doing business".

Sellers overseas obviously have other considerations.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

GST, HST, and VAT

@dutchman48 wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

So, as a buyer if I purchase something from Europe which has a high VAT and VAT is included in the price, I am actually paying more than I should as the seller then pockets the VAT amount as profit?

Hence tax included can raise prices drastically if it happens to be an expensive item?

I have had sellers in Great Britain lower my price from what was stated because they took out the VAT.

Those were non-eBay sales though.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

GST, HST, and VAT

That is how it should work from my point of view.

Will have to start looking at this area to see what sellers from Europe tell me.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

GST, HST, and VAT

The Sellers in Europe I buy from there is no mention of the VAT price and there is nothing added to the  after sale price. I always ate the GST/HST tax on items sold in Canada as it was usually 5/8 % of my sales so it did not add up to much & was not worth the hassle.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

GST, HST, and VAT

Not asking about Canadians selling to Canadians or Europeans selling to Europeans. I understand tax needs to be remitted if you collect it.

I am asking about sales where you don't remit even though you state you collect it because it is included or are you pocketing the tax that is not remitted instead of reducing price to foreign sellers.

I guess what I am getting at, if it is not stated and you remit what you have to for non international sales or add it to the sales, no issue.

If you say tax is included should price not be reduced if you are not required to remit it?

No one says that is wrong or illegal because it is not added to the sale. Just curious.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

GST, HST, and VAT

"If you say tax is included should price not be reduced if you are not required to remit it?"

Not necessarily.  Many eBay sellers - worldwide - are NOT registered to remit taxes.

The tax is included in their cost because they paid tax at time of purchase but they have no way to recover the tax even if they export the goods.

In Europe, where they have VAT, prices always include VAT.  It does not matter if the eBay seller is or is not register to remit.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

GST, HST, and VAT

That's like expecting a refund on your Item Price if you live outside the Free Domestic Postage zone.
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

GST, HST, and VAT

Partial refund, that is.

We'd all raise a hue and cry as Sellers if a buyer in the USA asked for a discount on his item because he didn't qualify for free shipping within Canada.
Message 14 of 29
latest reply

GST, HST, and VAT

Your over-thinking this.....

What does sales tax have to do with reducing prices? It's irrelevant to selling on eBay.

You ask a certain price for an item that may or may not have sales tax pending... this of course depends on who's buying it (Canadian vs. International).

Worry about sales tax if you have a large clientele in Canada.  

Message 15 of 29
latest reply

GST, HST, and VAT

I would appreciate if the seller took it off but I wouldn't expect them to.  I look at it similar to how I would look at free domestic shipping/International shipping.  If you have free shipping for Canada for a token and the cost is included in the item price, would you take that into account when pricing shipping to other countries? Assuming you are sending your tokens with oversize mail for $1.80 +tax and with light packet to the US for $6.87, would you subtract the $1.80 from the light packet rate?   

I think that some sellers do that, but most don't snd I don't think that they should be expected to do that.  It's up to each individual seller.  There is a perception that selling internationally has a higher risks so perhaps if the seller makes extra on an international sale they consider it as an insurance policy.

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

GST, HST, and VAT

That's what I said. 

The same argument could also be made for buying multiple items with Free Shipping included shipped as part of one lone order. If the seller ships them together, is the seller then obligated to refund the buyer the value of the Free Shipping on the other nine items as part of the ten-item order where each item had free shipping included in the item price? As a seller, I would say 'no' but there may be buyers who say 'yes'. 

I think it's a slippery slope for any buyer to start making assumptions about what they might be entitled to from a seller as far as things like this are concerned, and exactly the sort of grey area where assumptions and subsequent arguments may get one into hot water with ebay. 

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

GST, HST, and VAT

Also, I don't feel particulate guilty about foreign buyers paying postage when domestic don't on an item.

My international postage is subsidized as it stands, there are extra fees paid to paypal for foreign currency exchange on payments submit in not-CAD, and it takes me longer to complete the forms necessary for Customs than it does for me to dispatch a domestic order.

Plus, CAD is a fire sale to anyone outside Canada. Those foreign buyers are getting as good a deal as they need to be getting even when the cost of free domestic postage has been included in the item price. 

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

GST, HST, and VAT

@mjwl2006 wrote:

That's what I said. 

The same argument could also be made for buying multiple items with Free Shipping included shipped as part of one lone order. If the seller ships them together, is the seller then obligated to refund the buyer the value of the Free Shipping on the other nine items as part of the ten-item order where each item had free shipping included in the item price? As a seller, I would say 'no' but there may be buyers who say 'yes'. 

I think it's a slippery slope for any buyer to start making assumptions about what they might be entitled to from a seller as far as things like this are concerned, and exactly the sort of grey area where assumptions and subsequent arguments may get one into hot water with ebay. 

I'm a "free shipping" kind of guy, and when folks order multiple items I don't refund them anything.

I've never yet (that I recall) been asked to lower the price because of that for a multiple purchase. Sometimes folks will expect a discount because they're building a big order but I do not ever remember anyone saying it was because of the free shipping aspect.

Generally the combined postage often works out pretty close to what it is if one added up the individual components of the order anyway. 

However in extreme cases, I'll put extra stuff in for them as a bonus.

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

GST, HST, and VAT

The definition of free shipping is .... zero....  cost for shipping.

The price of an item is $20 with or without free shipping... Free shipping does not change the price of an item

Free shipping can be applied in the following situations

(1) 10 % of the listings have free shipping... The sale of the other 90 % pays the cost of shipping for this 10 %

(2) Free shipping on all items sold on the internet ... Sales at a B & M  pay the cost for the shipping of items sold on the internet

(3) Buy one, two, three or four items  and buyer pays the cost for shipping....  Buy five items  and it is free shipping.

(4) Buy several items  with a total greater than a specific value... such as $50... and it is free shipping..

Search on eBay's site  and free shipping is NOT defined....  and by doing so eBay is protected  on a .... legal basis

It is the sellers on eBay that characterize free shipping as the cost of shipping included.... and...  by definition ....  this is wrong.

For a buyer to ask for a refund of shipping cost when an item is listed with free shipping is not appropriate

Message 20 of 29
latest reply