Have you ever had someone ask a bunch of questions then ask for it cheaper?

I have a CD for sale that is 15% off and is under $5.00 US with $4.25 for shipping through Chit Chats.  The customer wants me to play the song to see if the music is either 7 seconds or 15 seconds before the voices come on.   I play it and get back to him and  then he states that he wants it for cheaper with free shipping.  I tell him it is coming from Canada and he stated he could get a brand new one for $8.00.  I said well he should get the new one for $8.00.  He emailed me back 😞    

I have put him on my BBL.  It kind of bugged me. 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Have you ever had someone ask a bunch of questions then ask for it cheaper?

Hahahaha, oh dear.

Sorry. Yes, I’d be annoyed too.
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

You could reply to his reply with a link to your least favourite competitor’s Shop, and encourage him to try his luck there. Spread the joy.
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

hlmacdon
Community Member

@musicyouneedwrote:

I have a CD for sale that is 15% off and is under $5.00 US with $4.25 for shipping through Chit Chats.  The customer wants me to play the song to see if the music is either 7 seconds or 15 seconds before the voices come on.   I play it and get back to him and  then he states that he wants it for cheaper with free shipping.  I tell him it is coming from Canada and he stated he could get a brand new one for $8.00.  I said well he should get the new one for $8.00.  He emailed me back 😞    

I have put him on my BBL.  It kind of bugged me. 

Thankfully few, but it does happen. Fortunately most questions I get of a technical nature can be answered without having to use the product. My favorite is when I get a question like that then the buyer goes and buys the item from further abroad because it is one dollar cheaper. Wait 2-3 weeks longer to save a dollar. At some level I have to admire the dedication behind that sort of cheapness even if it is incredibly tacky.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I have stuff like that happen all the time. I make/sell decal reproduction for old out of production snowmobiles, outboards, motorcycles etc.  Customers will ask a myriad of questions, from sizing to colours and then as for customization which I do for no extra charge and then they'll ask for a  discount from 10 to 50%. I already give free shipping.  It's only really about 2-3% of clients that have questions, but man it drives me nuts... Oh well you have to take the good with the bad and move on.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Also, this guy is giving you a hard time over like 75 cents? One dollar? That’s just a silly thing for him to do. I don’t waste any of my time trying to price match a single item for a dollar. Like..?! My time is worth more than that. So so silly.
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

It sounds like this CD of yours is the musicheneeds....But really doesn't want to have to pay for it!

-CM

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

This happens to me quite often.  I sell vintage jewelry.  It is very annoying. I usually refuse to sell to them.  I tell them that shipping is too expensive from Canada to be free & I wouldn't make a cent on the item. And I remind them that I am selling in Canadian dollars. I also find people that ask lots of questions usually are troublesome buyers. I usually block them as I don't need their type of business. And if they say they can get it cheaper somewhere else, I then tell them they should.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

The ones that ask a whole bunch of questions hardly ever buy and if they do they are usually a huge pain in the butt. So now: too many questions - I block em.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

I had a guy inquire why I was asking $150 for a particular radio. So I told him. He emailed me back and said he new a seller who usually asked only $100 for it. So I asked him why he had not bought it. He said the seller did not have one. So I told him that if I did not have one - I would sell it to him for $50.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

OMG, I just checked his feedback and he has given a bunch of negatives and neutrals and many positives saying got a refund, got a partial refund.    Thanking the seller for their refund.  I almost feel like cancelling the listing and then reinstating it in May when I come back from holiday.  I have blocked him too. 

What would you do.  Looks like a problem buyer.  

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Trust your instincts.  When you get a bad feeling, it is usually for a good reason.  Just wait for another customer.

My favourite eBay discount request was from a Chinese customer.  He called me on the phone and told me had a machine broken and his entire factory was shut down.  I had the part he needed and he wanted it desperately shipped overnight express, fastest option available.  After arranging the shipping details he asked me for a discount on the part.  It was pretty funny... He definitely needed to work on his negotiating skills.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Thanks, I just cancelled the listing.  I'll list it when I get back from my vacation in May. 

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

I even get people sometimes ask me for details on a particular item, then they go and buy it off the seller selling it for cheaper...
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

So I told him that if I did not have one - I would sell it to him for $50.

Priceless,😁

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

“I even get people sometimes ask me for details on a particular item, then they go and buy it off the seller selling it for cheaper...”

Definitely happens to me. Buyers can tell from photographs and Item Descriptions which sellers are knowledgeable about their Product Lines so they’re the ones to pepper with questions whereas the guy with a stock image, two-word description and zero Item Specifics probably has no time invested in the Item and is more willing to sell it for whatever cheap amount just to get rid of it.

Makes sense. If I wanted to know more about Mercedes, I’d go to a Mercedes dealer and put my feet up, drinking their coffee and ask questions. But if I wanted a steal of a deal on one, I’d go to Big Tony’s Used Car Town (Bad Credit? No Credit? No Problem!) at the corner of Dodgy Street and Fast Ave.
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Normally I just answer the questions and when they come back with a request for a discount I respond the same as I would if they hadn't asked the questions.

However, I do apply the "spider senses" to the situation and in rare cases I would block them.

Normally I don't check the feedback etc unless the spider senses are being activated but for sure with the feedback you've seen left I would block them. (As an aside after a purchase I have sometimes perused the feedback of the buyer and seen them leaving neut/negs which is very worrisome, but so far in those cases I've done ok and no problems with the transaction!!! The last neutral I got is from a "lotsa neutrals kinda giver" so that one doesn't bother me at all...)

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Update, I always like updates.  I took the listing down just incase he bought it and then turned around and claimed a refund for whatever reason.  I also had blocked him from buying for me. 

The buyer sent me a nasty email tonight.

He told me that he would tell someone to F off if i got this eml but im still gonna say it. $2 is the most someone should be profiting from an old used pop cd.  He bought another one for $5.00 from another seller and it included shipping. 

Of course, I'm not going to respond.  Bad buyer, I am happy that he didn't buy from me. 

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Classy bloke, he is. You did the right thing by avoiding further discussion and business with this user. Oh, and report him for being a rude time-bandit.
Message 19 of 22
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

I generally try to answer any and all questions, when a sob story or discount is mentioned, I check their FB received and given, then make a decision.

I have found that the ones who talk a lot, tend to turn into Pita buyers, not all, but the odds are not good. This one needs to be reported to ebay.

I would rather have less sales with good buyers, than more sales, that require a ton of time and stress to deal with.  Hehe, easy to say, not so easy to do.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply