How Many Buyers Are Honest About Reasoon For Return?

I just received an e-mail about the April Seller's Digest.  There they give suggestions for sale tips. Just read the one on accepting returns.  They talk about how to deal with Remorse Buyers & Not As Described returns.  But how many buyers are really honest about the reason for returns?  From my experience most remorse buyers do not put that as a reason for return but put NAD.  That way they do not have to pay the return shipping. And many times there is no way to prove that they are lying. Thankfully I have been able to prove remorse buying a few times to CS even though the buyer claimed otherwise.  I sure hope eBay does not force us to accept all returns regardless of the reason in the future. Can only imagine the nightmare to follow.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Sorry should have put Reason in title.  Didn't check the spelling of it properly before I posted.  But I think you know what I meant.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

You're fighting human nature.

No one likes to pay shipping, which is why 'Free' Shipping is so popular.

And then if the buyer changes her mind she's shocked at how much shipping actually costs, especially tracked or international tracked.

Even those who paid for tracked shipping as a separate line item, like yours.

I can't really offer more than sympathy.

Are you getting your items back in the same condition you sent them?

Is this an occasional problem?

WalMart says they lose about 1% of their income to 'shoptheft and shrinkage'. Poor comparison in your case, but are you doing better than that?

If it is occasional might I suggest that you can cover these extra costs by using Cookie Jar Insurance, which is just including a small amount as a self-insurance premium on every asking price. Those virtual pennies go in a virtual Cookie Jar and used to cover your costs when you have a problem-- like return postage. No matter what the reason for the return.

If it is more than 1% of your sales, I wonder if this is the problem.

I will not accept returns on the jewelry as it is used vintage with normal signs of wear.

By telling your customer that you will not accept returns, in my opinion, is telling them that the only way they can get a refund is to open a Dispute, rather than contacting you and making polite arrangements.

Although you have such gorgeous stuff, I am amazed that anyone would not want to keep and cherish it.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

No, I am not having a lot of problems with returns just have had the occasional one in all my years of selling.  I was just venting on eBay's whole return policy.  I believe a lot of buyers are not being truthful on the reason for return.  And I have put the disclaimer about no returns on vintage jewelry since day one of selling back in 2002 with hardly any problems.   

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Venting is good.

dammit doll.jpg

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Although I wasn't asked, personally I would get rid of all the standard text at the end about payment expectations, high Canadian shipping costs and no returns. If I left anything it would be the 1 day shipping sentence.

The fact that it is vintage and shows normal wear is also mentioned in the custom wording (of the item I looked at).

It seems hardly anyone reads descriptions anymore, and the ones that do aren't usually the ones that are the problems anyway....

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I get very few Return cases so I'm perhaps not indicative of trends but all but one case was correctly opened as Remorse when they have been Remorse returns. Only once did the buyer try to use Not as Described to open a Remorse Return. Luckily, in messages it was very clear it was Remorse and Ebay Customer Service did not force me to fund Return Postage for it. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe that any buyers want to return the items MUST pay for the return shipping unless it is seller's error.  Period!!  I am sure it will reduce many remorse buyers!!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Yes, that is eBay's policy.

But many buyers choose Not As Described even in cases of Buyer Remorse,because they honestly believe what they got was not what the seller said it would be.

Maybe they are reading with rose-coloured glasses.

Paypal insists that in ALL disputes, the buyer must pay for return shipping. To offset this the buyer has 180 days to open the dispute.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply