How To Nudge Buyer To Pay

Besides an auction item, how does one buy something and not pay right away?  Is it the "commit to buy" option that allows you to do that?  I've never used it so I don't know.

I'm asking because I have someone who bought something about 3 days ago and I'm still awaiting payment.  With an auction item you can send a reminder to pay but with whatever option they used I don't see the option to send a reminder.

Thanks!

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

I wasn't trying to change anyone's mind about nonpaying bidders.

Just wanted to present a different viewpoint and also the irony (A state of affairs or an event that seems contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.) inherent in the act of blocking buyers who are slow to pay.

No one knows what eBay will do in the future, but what I'm absolutely certain of is that they're very much aware that sellers want them to take more action against buyers who are slow to pay, but that doing so will decrease revenue.

For eBay it's a no win situation.  Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

As we often see there is a wide variety of approaches and opinions on many matters, and there really isn't usually a right or wrong answer, even oftentimes within a group of sellers within the same category simply because there are just too many variables anymore.

I've mentioned before that I'm operating in a "management by exception" world now, so so long as the number of slow payers stays relatively small for me, and costs me nothing more than patience to "administer", I'll leave things as they are. If something changes, then I'll have to look at my slow paying bidder processes and adjust accordingly.

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I'm going to stand my ground on this.

If you can't pay immediately, add a credit card to your Paypal account and pay with that.

The bank is in the loans business, I sell books.

Buyers should be expected to purchase on eBay as they would any other on-line merchant -- immediate payment required.

I respectfully disagree. Especially with auctions. Many buyers try to combine as much items as possible together before paying. And with constant increase in shipping costs, I cannot blame any buyer for wanting to do so. Maybe if a seller has only BIN items, things can be different. But as long as a seller has a mix of BIN and auctions, IMO, they should be flexible on the payment timeframe.

Now, as a buyer, I always ask politely if a seller will wait longer than the regular 2 days (on .com). If the seller agrees, I bid (or BIN). If not, I move on to another seller.

And as a seller, if the buyer asks for more time than my regular 5 days, I will mostly agree to a certain degree. But the buyer *must* communicate. If no message is sent by the buyer, then it's another story.

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

I wasn't trying to change anyone's mind about nonpaying bidders.

Just wanted to present a different viewpoint and also the irony (A state of affairs or an event that seems contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.) inherent in the act of blocking buyers who are slow to pay.

No one knows what eBay will do in the future, but what I'm absolutely certain of is that they're very much aware that sellers want them to take more action against buyers who are slow to pay, but that doing so will decrease revenue.

For eBay it's a no win situation.  Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I'm not so sure.  It's my feeling that if buyers are forced to pay, they will.  This won't be a new concept for them; other retailers expect them to pay immediately.  And if they want an item, they'll pay for it right away .....  I think many of them delay payment simply because they're allowed to. I doubt that this would hurt eBay's bottom line.

I understand that with auction items, many buyers will want to pay after they have purchased all the items they are interested in.  Perhaps one day, only certain categories, e.g. antiques, stamps, crafts, could still be offered as auctions and the sellers would have the flexibility to accept payments on their own terms.

I don't feel strongly about this issue.  I don't have a problem since all my items are BIN with IPR, so it's been a long, long, time since I've had to chase a buyer for payment.  It's just my opinion that allowing buyers to delay payment is not in keeping with eBay's new business model.

And, personally, even through the worst of any financial difficulties, I would never, never have asked a seller to wait a couple of days for payment, unless there was an issue with my credit card or PayPal account.  Luckily this never happened.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

FYI: I checked the feedback on the buyer in question and out of about 13 feedback, 5 were about payment not received.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or just losing my mind.

I signed in under my other account, GreenMangoes, and posted the above yet it's showing under iamempress, with is also my account, but what the heck?

There is an issue here, which I will post in another thread, but this is also happening when I go to list something under .com it's forcing me to sign in to .ca in order to list it 😞

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

Personally I'm fine with payment within 7 days (my UID is set to 8 days). I'll even wait two weeks if the buyer asks nicely. Sometimes I get people message me and ask if they could pay 5 days later, and I simply let them know that I have no problem waiting up to 7 days, but usually they do pay right at the 5 days mark as they stated.
Message 27 of 29
latest reply

The big difference is communication.

If someone were to contact me and say, I'm bidding on X Y and Z, so could you hold off on billing me for A B and C, that's not a problem.

If someone purchases a Fixed Price item, and then whines on about payday-- well, guess what Buttercup-- you could have waited til payday.

And of course, if there is no communication at all....

Especially since, in my case, there is nothing I sell that anyone cannot live without. (Compared to say, air or insulin.)

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

@iamempress wrote:

Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or just losing my mind.

I signed in under my other account, GreenMangoes, and posted the above yet it's showing under iamempress, with is also my account, but what the heck?

There is an issue here, which I will post in another thread, but this is also happening when I go to list something under .com it's forcing me to sign in to .ca in order to list it 😞

Would this have something to do with you using two different browsers for your two accounts?  For instance, I use Firefox for my media account and Internet Explorer for my H&B account, which is the one I post from as well.  That way, I don't have to keep signing in and out of one account to access the other.  Sometimes I'm on my media account on Firefox and decide to add a comment to a thread I've already posted on as jt-libra on I.E.

Maybe not your issue at all -- just a thought!

Message 29 of 29
latest reply