How to avoid PayPal US$ to CAD$ convertion fees?

Hey guys!

So most of my sales are in US$ and I'm a Canadian seller.

I opened a US$ bank account at RBC thinking I could transfer my US$ from PayPal to this account and avoid the currency exchange rate.

It appears even with a US$ bank account and transferring actual US$, PayPal STILL REQUIRES me to first convert them to CAD$. They won't let me avoid their convertion fees...

Is there any way I can work around this?

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

You need a bank account that is actually based in the USA.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 41
latest reply

I got the same result without having to open another bank account - you want to disable currency conversion - you used to be able to do it yourself but I can no longer find the option where it used to be so you might have to call them to do it - here's a link I found that explains it in detail:

https://www.roman-reviews.com/how-disable-paypal-currency-conversion-save-money-fees/

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

The two easiest US based banks for Canadians are RBC Bank and TDNorth.

Both are part of Canadian banks and have some "snowbird" programs.

If you already have a TDCanada Trust or Royal Bank account, particularly a business account but not necessarily, ask for a meeting with one of the advisors  to get one of those. It can be done from Canada.

The USA has a thing about residents of foreign countries holding US bank accounts. It's part of Homeland Security policies, but actually started with offshore gambling problems in the 20th century. 

Message 4 of 41
latest reply

Your listings are in Canadian dollars so you wouldn't have any conversion fees anyway.  When a buyer pays an ebay seller, Paypal automatically transfers their funds into the listing currency and charges the buyer any conversion fees.  The original poster's listings are in US$ so they are always paid in $US regardless of where the buyer is located. When they want to transfer their money to their Canadian bank account, it is converted at that time.

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

You think if I get one of those US based bank account from RBC (as opposed to the US$ account they created for me this morning), I would be able to transfer actual US$ into it without PayPal forcing the conversion?
Message 6 of 41
latest reply

@vip-marketplace wrote:
You think if I get one of those US based bank account from RBC (as opposed to the US$ account they created for me this morning), I would be able to transfer actual US$ into it without PayPal forcing the conversion?

Yes! Any bank that operate under the US clearing house system  will work.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 7 of 41
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

The USA has a thing about residents of foreign countries holding US bank accounts. It's part of Homeland Security policies, but actually started with offshore gambling problems in the 20th century. 

The only "thing" is that you need to prove your identity, easy in person, not so easy if not. Plus you need to provide one simple IRS form (W-8BEN) and you may have to update the form annually or bi-annually. Even if you don't file that form it only means that withholding tax applies to any interest earned in the account. On my US account the interest paid is so tiny that the witholding has never been more than a couple of pennies so I don't even bother with the form (you can use any amount that is withheld as a credit on your Canadian tax return).

Message 8 of 41
latest reply

Yes,stop doing business with this crooks.
Message 9 of 41
latest reply

I just called PayPal. Maybe the PayPal agent was wrong but he was positive that I would never by able to link a US bank account to my Canadian PayPal account... Is this true? Do you know a way around it?
Message 10 of 41
latest reply

The more I talk to them the more I think you're right.

Why would I be OBLIGATED to convert my US$ to CAD$?

Is there a Canadian law that prevents Canadians from transfering US$?

If I have a Canadian bank account in US$, why wouldn't they let me transfer my US$ into it? The only reason I see is that they want to take their share (conversion fees).
Message 11 of 41
latest reply

@vip-marketplace wrote:
I just called PayPal. Maybe the PayPal agent was wrong but he was positive that I would never by able to link a US bank account to my Canadian PayPal account... Is this true? Do you know a way around it?

Not true! Unless something has dramatically changed (without any type of notice).

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

@vip-marketplace wrote:
The more I talk to them the more I think you're right.

Why would I be OBLIGATED to convert my US$ to CAD$?

Is there a Canadian law that prevents Canadians from transfering US$?

If I have a Canadian bank account in US$, why wouldn't they let me transfer my US$ into it? The only reason I see is that they want to take their share (conversion fees).

The systems PayPal use to transfer money from PayPal to a users bank account are not capable of transferring US funds to Canadian banks. It's not a "Canadian Law" but rather Canadian/US banking regulation and policy. The policies predate the existence of PayPal.

Message 13 of 41
latest reply

Not directly.

What PP does is change the U$ to Cdn$, send the money to Canada where it is changed back into U$ and deposited in the U$dollar account.

Two sets of exchange fees.

What RBCBank does is send U$ to the Royal Bank, part of their company - bank to bank- then deposit the U$ in your Royal Bank U$ dollar account. One set of exchange fees.

If it were not possible to send U$ anywhere, the international banking system would be unable to use U$ at all, except in pallets of cash.

Message 14 of 41
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Not directly.

What PP does is change the U$ to Cdn$, send the money to Canada where it is changed back into U$ and deposited in the U$dollar account.

Two sets of exchange fees.

What RBCBank does is send U$ to the Royal Bank, part of their company - bank to bank- then deposit the U$ in your Royal Bank U$ dollar account. One set of exchange fees.

If it were not possible to send U$ anywhere, the international banking system would be unable to use U$ at all, except in pallets of cash.

I never said it was not possible to send USD "anywhere", that is obviously not true. What I said was that the ACH (Automated Clearing House) system PayPal uses doesn't allow it.

Message 15 of 41
latest reply

As others have said, easiest is to open a bank account in the USA.  How far are you from the US border?  As for PayPal, I've never had an issue adding US based bank accounts or credit cards, as well as Canadian based ones.

Now, all you've accomplished by doing this is to choose when/how your funds get converted to CND dollars.  I pay me eBay fees in USD (but there's still a conversion from CND to USD by eBay).  I buy a fair amount from the USA so I do that with USD from my US account.  We also frequently vacation in the USA, so I can use those USD funds for that.  But basically anything you can't figure out how to spend in the USA is going to get hit with exchange at some point....

Message 16 of 41
latest reply

The primary reason I was using a US bank when I was still listing on .com (up until 2009) was to obtain far cheaper conversion rates using third-party exchange services. Instead of 2.5% (por more?) to PayPal it's possible to reduce that to about .75%, that and the ability to time the market meant an average savings of up to 3% on currency exchange (more during volatile periods).

I sell in Media, it was the .com shipping caps that motivated me to move all my eBay activity to .ca, I continued to list in US Dollars until that option went away and since then I only maintain the US account to pay for personal purchases and fees for third-party tools that are billed in US Dollars.

Message 17 of 41
latest reply

@vip-marketplace wrote:

Hey guys!

So most of my sales are in US$ and I'm a Canadian seller.

I opened a US$ bank account at RBC thinking I could transfer my US$ from PayPal to this account and avoid the currency exchange rate.

It appears even with a US$ bank account and transferring actual US$, PayPal STILL REQUIRES me to first convert them to CAD$. They won't let me avoid their convertion fees...

Is there any way I can work around this?

Here’s how you do this without ever having any currency conversion fees.
We have a US based (.com) PayPal account.

1. Go to the Royal Bank of Canada.  Make an appointment with a customer service person.
2. Open a regular CA$ savings or checking account or both (or a Sixty-Plus Calculator Plus account if you qualify).  Open a CA$  Day-to-Day Savings account.  (This is the one you can link to PayPal.)  

3. Open a (US$)  RBC U.S. High Interest eSavings   account.  (This is the one you will link to your US RBC Bank.)
4. Arrange for online banking. 
5.  Have the bank person open an account for you in the  RBC Bank in the USA (which will be a US$ account).  (This is the one your will link to PayPal.)
6.  Have the bank person explain to you how the the US bank account is linked to the (entire) Canadian account. 
7.  Have two sections in your PayPal account – one for US$ sales and a second in CA$ sales.  CA$ sales stay in CA$ currency and US$ sales stay in US$ currency.

Now you have to do this yourself from your PayPal account.  On my PayPal account there is a “Link a card or bank” button on the right hand side of the page. 
8.  Link your US$ PayPal account to your US$ bank account in the USA based bank. This is labelled an “RBC Bank” account on PayPal.
9. Link your CA$ PayPal account to your CA$ bank “Day-to-Day Savings” account at your Canadian based bank.   This is labelled a “Royal Bank of Canada” account on PayPal

10.  When necessary, transfer your US$ from PayPal to your RBC US based bank.  It will take about 3 days for this transfer to be completed. 
11.  When the money is in your US bank account, transfer from the US based account to your US$ Canadian bank account. This is instantaneous.
12.  Keep your US$ in your local US$ account until the exchange rate is favourable.  Then transfer the US$ to your CA$ account all within your local bank account.  You can test the rate by using the tool provided on your online banking page without having to do the conversion.  Amounts over US$ $10,000.00 get a better exchange rate than amounts of US$9,999.99 and less.

NEVER ANY CONVERSION FEES TO PAY TO ANYONE.

This is really simple once it is set up.  And the set up is relatively easy because the bank does it for you except for linking your PayPal account to your two bank accounts. 

We have had our PayPal account set up this way since about 2003.    We have NEVER had to pay any conversion fees to anyone. 

May sound confusing but is really nice to use once you understand the process. 
Message 18 of 41
latest reply

Simplest method is to spend the money on US$ purchases.

From eBay sellers who list in US$ to American companies that accept PayPal.

PayPal has changed it's rules several times over the years, so the age of your Paypal account may effect other methods. Grandmothered/grandfathered accounts get to keep old privileges.

-..-

Message 19 of 41
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Simplest method is to spend the money on US$ purchases.

From eBay sellers who list in US$ to American companies that accept PayPal.

PayPal has changed it's rules several times over the years, so the age of your Paypal account may effect other methods. Grandmothered/grandfathered accounts get to keep old privileges.

-..-

This will not work if a person does not need to buy anything just to spend the US$.  We are octogenarians and at this stage in our life we are not in need of accumulating anything  and prefer to buy everyday needs locally.  No waiting.  No customs to deal with.  No extra fees for cross border purchases.  No shipping charges. 

A PayPal account holder needs to link the PayPal account to an account of their choosing to be able to transfer funds out of PayPal.  It does not matter to PayPal where you choose  to place your funds.    So transferring funds to a US based bank is immaterial if that is where a PayPal account holder wishes to transfer funds.   The rest of your money management has nothing to do with PayPal. 

We were not aware that PayPal had changed its rules several times over the years and that grandfathered accounts had special privileges.  @ypdc_dennis  We would appreciate it if you could please point out some of those changed rules and old privileges that may have affected our money management for our PayPal account? 

Message 20 of 41
latest reply