How to send an invoice after sending a refund?

amcdc79
Community Member

Sent item to Scotland on valentines day, buyer says it did not arrive, I issued a full refund.

Today buyer says he had to pay to pick it up at the PO, and wants me to pay the taxes and duty owed(ha ha), phoned ebay, they want me to send him another invoice.

How do you do that?

Tia.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to send an invoice after sending a refund?

@amcdc79

I doubt that an eBay rep would be able to give you specific info on how to do it.

send or request. / create an invoice / create (top right) 

Bill to - enter email address

customize - default currency is American so change if necessary

Description - enter item, price etc.

on the bottom right click preview or send

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Paypal has a Request Money service under Money at the top of your PP account page.

EBay gave us this suggested boilerplate about customs a few years ago:

Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer's responsibility.
Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.

If your customer mentions having to pay duty in feedback, you can have it removed.

And Shippo allows you to print USPS return shipping labels, but I'm not sure about Royal Mail.  (Not part of this question, but others will also read it.)

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

I did go to PayPal to send a request, put in his email address and could go no further.

Now I'm kicking myself for not asking the ebay rep. in how to send an invoice from them.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Just to be clear.   Your buyer complained that their widget had not arrived after just 2 weeks overseas, you refunded them in full and now they are insisting you also pay for the duties/taxes their country imposed?  Your buyer has  cahonies the size of the Liberty Bell.  No soup for you Mr/Ms. Buyer.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Well said, snoopwiz.
Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@amcdc79

I doubt that an eBay rep would be able to give you specific info on how to do it.

send or request. / create an invoice / create (top right) 

Bill to - enter email address

customize - default currency is American so change if necessary

Description - enter item, price etc.

on the bottom right click preview or send

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Thank you very much, it worked like a charm. Before I sent the invoice, I did let him know that I only charged him $7.00USD for shipping, and it cost more than he paid. I told him I was a Canadian selling on .com so I cannot use the GSP to ship, as he thought my listing had said, that no further amount would be charged.

Lastly, I mentioned that ebay had told me to send an invoice, he responded that I should take the amount he paid to the PO off the bill. I simply said, "please call ebay", then sent the invoice.

He paid within the hour, could be interesting feedback coming.

Thanks to all who replied!

I honestly thought I was going to have to change my shipping to tracking everywhere. Since my Dreamcast games can go letter-post in Canada, I shipped one yesterday by Registered mail, simply to have a tracking#, it was only $12.55 instead of the normal $18 and up by expedited parcel. First time I have done it, will I have a problem?

I have been here for just over 12 years, had an item go missing(Calgary) 6 years ago, so not too bad. I send everything there tracked now.

This year in January, a $10 video game supposedly did not make it to a buyer 5 KM away. Reported the buyer and was told to file a Saf-t claim(no can do), my cookie jar insurance covered that no problem.

This one was a $79.99USD game that in hindsight, I should have paid the $30 for tracking. It did smash the cookie jar, but I am happy to say that it is being glued back together.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

That's great that the invoice worked and that the buyer paid you back. 🙂

You shouldn't have a problem with the registered within Canada. I've heard that registered is slower than regular mail but I have no idea if that is true.  However, if that is for the $21.99 / free shipping item, that is a lot of money to pay for shipping. I'm not familiar with your category but  you aren't comfortable sending that type of thing by lettermail?

I have to comment on what you said about sending everything to Calgary with tracking because you had an inr claim 6 years ago.  Doesn't that seem a bit extreme? If you want to use tracking for everything that's your choice of course, everyone has different ideas on that. But to use tracking because one of 1.2 million people didn't receive their parcel in 2012 seems  a bit extreme.  That's just my opinion. 🙂 

I'm having a mind block...what is a Saf-t claim?

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

The registered one was the $34.99 to Toronto, the $21.99 one was to Burnaby, and I did use the $3.10 Letter-post for that one. Of course you are right about Calgary, I guess being my first one to not arrive, it was tough to forget.

Safe-t claim is for Pros on the River, which with my very slow sales there, is not worth paying the monthly fee. Whereas, I may look into ebays new first tier of store in the future, when it is available.

My buyer from Scotland just dropped a beautiful red doughnut on me.

Should it not be easy to get rid of, or should I use it to warn other sellers?

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

If the buyer actually repaid you, then just get it removed.  Because it could have been worse (ie. no repayment).

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

I don’t know if they’ll remove it but you can try.  It’s too bad the buyer  didn’t mention that they had to pay customs then it would be removed for sure.  They complained about it arriving ‘weeks’ after it should have???  It took just under 3 weeks if I figured it out right.... I don’t see that as all that long or as being your fault.  

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Who knows how long it sat at the Post Office before he picked it up. I had sent a similar item to the UK that was paid on the 18th, sent next day, and had already been given positive feedback before this buyer had opened his claim. The ball is now in ebay's court, we shall see.

What is actually funny, is the low DSR' that he gave, were for item as described, when the item is Brand New Sealed in perfect condition. The other low one was for shipping, where he paid less than the cost. Yet he gave full marks for shipping speed, which was his biggest beef, go figure.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Regarding that neg, I would phone eBay first to see if I can get the neg removed, and if not, *then* I might reply to the negative... but, I'd definitely be content with the fact that the buyer paid again and probably will just ignore that neg. At least he was honest about receiving the game, instead of keeping quiet about it and not pay you back. Right now you're out nothing except for the less than perfect feedback score, and if that $29.99 price tag is right, then you made a very decent profit off that game innocent 

With tracking, right now I only track if it's $100+ (for less than half of them, only when my gut feeling is worried) and $150+ (everything). I had 1 or 2 INR to the USA and I can't possibly track everything there since that's like 70% of my sales. The cost of tracking every shipment far exceeds those two INRs (~$20 each). 

I had 3 INRs to Europe (1 to Poland and the other 2 probably to UK and Germany). I only blocked Poland since that was my only sale ever there, while I have lots of sales to UK and Germany so I won't ever block them. Those 3 INRs are all within a month of each other so it's more likely to be actual postal issues with Europe back then. I did block all of these buyers though. Since then (2+ years ago), no INRs. These 5 INRS total to about $110, so still much cheaper than tracking everything I ship. 

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

He also must have friends in high places, I'm beginning to lose faith in ebay.

Called ebay again yesterday, was told that due to the INR case still being open, even though the buyer was refunded, and admitted that he had in fact picked up the item. Was told to call ebay UK regarding the case, and escalate.

Today I chatted with a UK rep. who when I asked to escalate, asked me for a tracking#. Even the buyer confirming that they had picked it up, and had to pay taxes/duty to do so, did not matter.

The fact that the buyer wanted the seller to pay the taxes/duty, did not seem to help. Pure case of extortion and buyer abusing seller.

The seller has left 30 negative, 10 neutral and at least one revised feedback in the just over three years of buying. Some which could be true, but almost half are about non delivery or taxes/duty. Sound familiar?

Yes, I should be happy he repaid, is it worth being abused and stressed out for a few days? I don't think so.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

That's disappointing. Did you try sending a Feedback Revision Request to this guy? Maybe you can encourage him to accidentally admit this is a neg due to extortion over the duty he paid and then use that confession to get the Negative removed. 

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

Yes I did send a request, and the ebay team took it down.

I shall sleep well tonight.

Thanks to all who helped.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

How come an INR is still open? Didn't you say you already issued a full refund before? Or did you not issue that refund through eBay?

I think refunds issued via PayPal are not tracked by eBay. If I remember correctly, you could've gotten your FVF back if you refunded via eBay instead of directly via PayPal.

But good to hear that your neg is removed 😃
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

The INR case was still open because there was not enough money in the PayPal account for an instant refund, so an e-check was started. I just got the notice today from PayPal and ebay that the refund had been completed, sooner than the March 11'th date initially stated.

Just glad to have this whole affair behind me.

Checking the tracking for the item sent registered, I see it had Signature on it, and is waiting to be picked up. I probably will not use that method again for items under $75. Cheaper than Expedited parcel, but too much for an item that can go letter post. 

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Just when you think it's all over, momcqueen brings up a very valid point regarding the invoice I sent. Because it was sent through PayPal, ebay has not charged me any fvf's, so hopefully the last thing I have to do, is call them to have the fees added to my monthly ebay invoice.

I was wondering why I had a positive amount in my account, now I know why.

The last thing I want, is to be in trouble with ebay. The big question is, should I wait, or do it first thing in the morning. With my luck, I will do the right thing, then an ebay bot will do his thing, and I'll be charged twice, lol.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Hmm. yes. That thread was about potentially adding postage to a Local Pickup at the request of a buyer. But you also present an interesting conundrum. The original ebay transaction was refunded as an INR and then 'cancelled' so your Final Value Fees were refunded. But then your buyer repaid you so therefore it was, in a sense, reinstated by paypal but not by ebay. What to do about the FVFs?

Did any of the Ebay Customer Service Reps with whom you spoke mention this as a complicating factor? I'm gong to think they did not, so my advice would be to let it drop. Once the INR opened and closed, it became, I suspect, finished in the eyes of ebay. Of course, I might be wrong. Before you call ebay Customer Service, may I suggest that you call happy_pidgeon to the thread or send a direct message to her to seek her advice? 

Message 20 of 22
latest reply