I don't understand the fees. I thought we paid 10% of the total sale?

Can you take a look at this and explain it to me?  Thanks

total sales.jpg

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

i checked mine as well, and yes they are way out of whack.. i just go to selling activity, and  check my invoice.. all the numbers are correct there. I have no idea what percentage ebay is using on the other page in selling performance. But it isn't correct.. even if they were adding paypal fees, it would still be wrong.. Go figure another piece of useless information..

I know if ebay were my wireless carrier, i would have switched companies already.. ebay really needs to get their ducks in a row, before releasing them into our ponds..

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I can’t be bothered to do the math but that may include more than Final
Value Fees in that number. Like insertion fees and cost of store subscription split across number of listings etc.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It says ‘Selling Costs’ not ‘Final Value Fees’ after all. There are more costs to selling an item on eBay than FVF alone.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Actually, the "Selling Costs" data is one of the few new features in Hub that is worthwhile having.

If you have a look at the chart on the Sales Summary page you will see that Selling Costs include everything even PayPal fees.
Included are costs such as FVF, listing fees, subscription fees, listing upgrades, fee credits, etc. Basically every cost that is billed on ebay's monthly invoice + PayPal's fees.

These costs are presented in two ways, for individual items as seen in your screenshot and as an overall average in a pie chart on the Sales Summary page.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

What does it say when you click on the question mark next to selling costs?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Sorry... the average selling cost data is presented on the Performance summary page not on the Sales summary page as stated above.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Agree, it is nice to be able to see the total selling costs (if they are accurate)

Now I wish they would add 2 more columns.

Item Cost & Shipping Cost. They can keep the Total Sales column, just add the 2 together.

If they did this then the information would actually be helpful and could be used in so many ways. To have Shipping totaled in with the Item Cost still requires a seller to keep track of shipping expenses separately.  They have the data there already, I'd find it very helpful and more complete if it was broken down.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@around_again_records wrote:

Agree, it is nice to be able to see the total selling costs (if they are accurate)

Now I wish they would add 2 more columns.

Item Cost & Shipping Cost. They can keep the Total Sales column, just add the 2 together.

If they did this then the information would actually be helpful and could be used in so many ways. To have Shipping totaled in with the Item Cost still requires a seller to keep track of shipping expenses separately.  They have the data there already, I'd find it very helpful and more complete if it was broken down.

While the data is probably reasonably accurate I don't think i would trust it for accounting purposes. I suspect that unexpected events like a return or a cancelled transaction may not be properly accounted for. I do think the data provides a quick way to check on the profitability of different sorts of products and overall profitability.

We all know how all the seemingly small fees can add up to a surprisingly large number when all is said and done. I kind of like having the numbers there to remind me of where the money is spent.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply