I'm confused, help me out, shipping labels.......

So for the first time in probably 15 years or more I used eBay to print a shipping label (Domestic CP Expedited) yesterday. Taking advantage of the discount eBay is offering until September.

The process for creating the label was simple enough, printed,  applied, dropped at the PO and it's on the way.

My confusion is about the payment for the label.....where does it show up????? I figured it would be get deducted from pending funds but I don't see anything. I looked at the Order Details, nothing there either, Transaction Details....nope, Payout Report....nada, Transaction Report....zilch.

Anybody know where this charge shows up? Or is eBay just being kind to me and giving me free shipping labels (I really doubt that!).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sample of one:  2 business days until subtracted from the pending balance

I have a credit card as the back up method (which should only kick in if the balance is negative at time of payout).

I have weekly payouts, so in this sample, the label cost came from the actual sale money. Had I been on daily payouts, I would have had a deposit from the sale on Friday and a clawback on Monday for the shipping.

I will be using ebay labels for out of country until the special promo ends in September. The extra discount is well worth it for me (and weekly payouts will smooth out the shipping costs).

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I was wondering about that as well.  From what I understand they will take it out of pending payments later on, not immediately.   But  I just asked on the weekly 'chat' what happens if the seller indicates that they want their credit card to be used for 'selling fees.'  Do shipping fees then still come out of pending payments or do they automatically get billed to a credit card.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I can't tell you where the label charge shows up, but @ypdc_dennis says on this thread that it takes a couple of business days or so for the charge to show up:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/eBay-shipping-label-how-to-use-pending-funds/td-p/460295

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Sample of one:  2 business days until subtracted from the pending balance

I have a credit card as the back up method (which should only kick in if the balance is negative at time of payout).

I have weekly payouts, so in this sample, the label cost came from the actual sale money. Had I been on daily payouts, I would have had a deposit from the sale on Friday and a clawback on Monday for the shipping.

I will be using ebay labels for out of country until the special promo ends in September. The extra discount is well worth it for me (and weekly payouts will smooth out the shipping costs).

-..-

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Thanks @pjcdn2005  and @marnotom!  for the info and link to that previous thread.

I also didn't notice any option to choose a preferrred payment method but I wasn't really looking when I printed the label.

I'll update this post when the charge does show up.

FYI - The price for the label (going to Montreal area) was good but I also checked a shipment that was going to BC, that one was $5 more than through Stallion (and probably ChitChats as well) and for shipments to the other end of the country Stallion is probably faster.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@recped wrote:

So for the first time in probably 15 years or more I used eBay to print a shipping label (Domestic CP Expedited) yesterday. Taking advantage of the discount eBay is offering until September.

The process for creating the label was simple enough, printed,  applied, dropped at the PO and it's on the way.

My confusion is about the payment for the label.....where does it show up????? I figured it would be get deducted from pending funds but I don't see anything. I looked at the Order Details, nothing there either, Transaction Details....nope, Payout Report....nada, Transaction Report....zilch.

Anybody know where this charge shows up? Or is eBay just being kind to me and giving me free shipping labels (I really doubt that!).

Shipping labels are very well hidden under the order tab. I tried to do a screen grab but the dropdown doesn't lock. I don't use so mine is blank.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Anybody know where this charge shows up?

One place is:   https://www.ebay.ca/sh/fin/transactions

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Update with the timing details

Label printed: June 21 at 1:53pm (Eastern)

MP Pending Funds Charged: June 23 at 5:15pm (Eastern)

There is still one odd thing. The amount charged for the label seems to be correct (from memory) but when billed for the label no GSH/HST was added.

Either the GST/HST was included in the label price or no GST/HST was charged (should have been 5% as the label for for a QC address). For the later I'm feeling burned because without the GST/HST shown as a seperate line item I can't use it as an ITC. In theory I could reverse calculate the amount but if eBay failed to charge the GST/HST then doing so would not be legit.

Anyone know how GST/HST is handled on these CP labels? I may have mentioned that I haven't printed a shipping label via eBay or PayPal since perhaps 2005/6.

Meh! It's only about 60 cents in this case so no biggie.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

So far I've only used ebay's platform for printing US labels but others have commented that that were was no breakdown at all of what was charged for gst/hst on the ebay labels. Hopefully they are looking into changing that.  

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@recped wrote:

... There is still one odd thing. The amount charged for the label seems to be correct (from memory) but when billed for the label no GSH/HST was added.

Anyone know how GST/HST is handled on these CP labels? I may have mentioned that I haven't printed a shipping label via eBay or PayPal since perhaps 2005/6.

Any sales tax is included in the price charged.

PayPal and Shippo do show the breakdown when printing a label, but ebay labels just leaves that section blank.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@recped wrote:

There is still one odd thing. The amount charged for the label seems to be correct (from memory) but when billed for the label no GSH/HST was added.

Either the GST/HST was included in the label price or no GST/HST was charged (should have been 5% as the label for for a QC address). For the later I'm feeling burned because without the GST/HST shown as a seperate line item I can't use it as an ITC. In theory I could reverse calculate the amount but if eBay failed to charge the GST/HST then doing so would not be legit.

An FYI for anyone still preferring to use Shippo vs eBay Labels.

If you click on the charge tab before confirming it will give you a complete breakdown of charges including Fuel Surcharge, SMB Savings and Tax. When the label prints the receipt only shows a sub-total plus tax and the Final Total (Canada). For USA/Intl the receipt just shows Sub-total(All in one) & Final Total. (Tax is not applicable as per CP). CP it's fully detailed.

A full breakdown of charges for all platforms would be optimum.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

The amount charged via eBay shipping has the correct GST/HST amount.  For your ITCs you will have to do your own calculations or if you have a bookkeeper, accountant let him/her know the amount includes tax.

You are correct though it is odd.  Part of me wonders if eBay is claiming those ITCs, on my "tax reports" from eBay the label fees came up as 'non-taxable amount' so I stopped using it.  I have my own account with CP I'll be back to a level 3 in August.  If you spend a lot on shipping it's better to have your own personal account, the eBay CP account is not really yours.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Comparison of Expedited Charges to USA:

CP Counter Rate - 47.16 - includes itemized  Fuel Surcharge

Shippo Level 2 Discount - 40.85 - includes itemized  Fuel Surcharge

CP Lervel 2 Discount - 40.85 - includes itemized  Fuel Surcharge

EBAY Labels Current Promotion (level 3??) - 40.52 - Total w/ Built in Fuel Surcharge

Without a visible explanation of Fuel/Applicable Taxes/Discount makes it very difficult to compare systems and savings.

-Lotz

Message 13 of 13
latest reply