If your sales and promoted items overlap, something to know...

(This is on .COM but I suspect the same will be true on .CA)

I run a large number of (older) items on sale at most times.

Sometimes the on sale items overlap with promoted listings, ie an on sale item is also a promoted item.

If a promoted item is on sale, the ad fee is based on the original price, not the on sale price.

For example:

Item original price is $10.

Hypothetical promoted item ad fee picked is 10% (so the ad fee would be $1 if it sells from being promoted).

Item goes on sale for $9. too

If the item sells while on sale, the add fee remains $1 and not 90c so it is based on the original price, not the actual selling price.

The difference does not add up to a lot, but I thought I would mention it for the detail oriented folks out there.....

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

That's very odd as the info states that in the case of a best offer, the ad rate will be based on the offer amount accepted, not on the original amount. You would think that sale items would work out the same way.

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/faq/selling-faq.html#promoted-listings

FAQ's How much does promoted listings cost?

" If you accept a Best Offer price for your item, we charge the ad fee based on the Best Offer price."

In other info they mention that you are charged on the item final sale price so again that sounds to me as if the percentage would be based on what the buyer paid.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Question for you - Are the promoted listings that you set up on .com visible on both .com and .ca or just on .com?

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Arghhh apparently it's a BAD MATH day at my place today..... first of all though....

That's a very interesting question I did not know the answer to!

So I did some experiments, if one searches "canada mix" in the "stamps" category:

-on .COM my stuff is well represented on the first page, and my "sponsored" stuff shows up everywhere

-on .CA my stuff is less well represented on the first page (because I'm a .COM foreigner I guess) and NO sponsored stuff shows up. I never thought about whether the sponsored listings were site specific before, it looks like they are!.

Anyway for an example, here's one that just sold.

The ad fee was $2.53 (US$ as it is on .COM)  (original price $24.92 US$, on sale price is $22.43 US$)

(I noticed when I typed this out that the ad fee didn't make sense for either of the two numbers, that's when I realized the HST TAX aspect.... $2.243 x 1.13 = $2.53  so it is correctly billing based on the actual selling price  OOOOPPPPPSSS) 

So after me blaming eBay for another glitch, it turns out in reality it is an RICARMIC math glitch..... Smiley Frustrated

Sorry for the confusion!

Message 4 of 4
latest reply