In actual news, can someone explain the implications of this to ebay Canada sellers?

I am at risk of exposing my ignorant underbelly again.

Can one of the Ebay Canada Discussion Board's Big-Brained Boovs please explain to me what implications this stands to have to ebay Canada sellers? I do doubt many of us are routinely exporting ingots of aluminum to buyers in the USA but Table 2 is all about things one would presumably buy or sell while shopping on ebay. Does it affect us importing these items as shoppers? Or exporting as sellers? Does it affect us at all?

I am woefully confused. I do, however, assume that if there is something massive that stands to affect us Everyday Citizens, a raven from the tower of Barad-dûr will be sent to tell us what we need to know. 

https://www.fin.gc.ca/activty/consult/cacsap-cmpcaa-eng.asp

Notice of intent to impose countermeasures action against the United States in response to tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum products

This is where it helps to know your HS Codes, I presume. 

Tariff heading, subheading or item* Description** 0403.10 Yogourt  0901.21 Coffee, roasted: Not decaffeinated  1602.32.11  Prepared meals: Of spent fowl; Specially defined mixtures  1602.32.92  Other: Specially defined mixtures, other than in cans or glass jars; Spent fowl other than in cans or glass jars  1602.50.10  Prepared meals, of bovine  1602.50.99  Other prepared or preserved meat of bovine, other than in cans or glass jars  1702.20 Maple sugar and maple syrup  1704.90.20  Liquorice candy; Toffee  1704.90.90  Other sugar confectionery (including white chocolate), not containing cocoa.  1806.31 Other chocolate, in blocks, slabs or bars: Filled  1806.32 Other chocolate, in blocks, slabs or bars: Not filled  1905.90.51  Pizza and quiche  2001.10 Cucumbers and gherkins  2007.99.10  Strawberry jam  2007.99.90  Nut purées and nut pastes, berry purées, other fruit purées other than banana purée, other jams, jellies  2009.12 Orange juice: Not frozen, of a Brix value not exceeding 20  2103.10 Soya sauce  2103.20 Tomato ketchup and other tomato sauces  2103.30.20  Prepared mustard  2103.90 Mayonnaise, salad dressing, mixed condiments and mixed seasonings, other sauces  2104.10 Soups and broths and preparations therefor  2202.10 Waters, including mineral waters and aerated waters, containing added sugar or other sweetening matter or flavoured  2208.30 Whiskies  3304.30 Manicure or pedicure preparations  3305.30 Hair lacquers  3307.10 Pre-shave, shaving or after-shave preparations  3307.49 Preparations for perfuming or deodorizing rooms, including odoriferous preparations used during religious rites, nes  3401.30 Organic surface-active products and preparations for washing the skin, in the form of liquid or cream and put up for retail sale, whether or not containing soap  3402.20.10  Automatic dishwasher detergents  3406.00.90  Other candles and tapers and the like not including those for birthdays, Christmas or other festive occasions  3506.10 Products suitable for use as glues or adhesives, put up for retail sale as glues or adhesives, not exceeding a net weight of 1 kg  3808.91.10  Insecticides: In packages of a gross weight not exceeding 1.36 kg each  3808.92.10  Fungicides: In packages of a gross weight not exceeding 1.36 kg each  3808.93.10  Herbicides, anti-sprouting products and plant-growth regulators: In packages of a gross weight not exceeding 1.36 kg each  3923.21.90  Other sacks and bags (including cones) of polymers of ethylene  3923.29.90  Other sacks and bags (including cones) of other plastics, nes  3924.10 Tableware and kitchenware  3924.90 Household articles and hygienic or toilet articles, of plastics  4412.39 Plywood, consisting solely of sheets of wood (other than bamboo), each ply not exceeding 6 mm thickness: Other, with both outer plies of coniferous wood  4412.99.90  Other plywood, veneered panels and similar laminated wood  4802.56 Other paper and paperboard, not containing fibres obtained by a mechanical or chemi-mechanical process or of which not more than 10% by weight of the total fibre content consists of such fibres: Weighing 40 g/m² or more but not more than 150 g/m², in sheets with one side not exceeding 435 mm and the other side not exceeding 297 mm in the unfolded state  4811.59 Other paper and paperboard coated, impregnated or covered with plastics (excluding adhesives)  4818.10 Toilet paper  4818.20 Handkerchiefs, cleansing or facial tissues and towels  4818.30 Tablecloths and serviettes  4822.10 Bobbins, spools caps and similar supports of a kind used for winding textile yarn, of paper pulp, paper or paperboard (whether or not perforated or hardened)  4822.90 Other bobbins, spools caps and similar supports of paper pulp, paper or paperboard (whether or not perforated or hardened)  4909.00 Printed or illustrated postcards; printed cards bearing personal greetings, messages or announcements, whether or not illustrated, with or without envelopes or trimmings.  7310.10 Beer kegs, of iron or steel, of a capacity of 50 litres or more  7310.29 Beer kegs, of iron or steel, of a capacity of less than 50 litres  7321.90 Parts of iron or steel, of stoves, ranges, grates, cookers (including those with subsidiary boilers for central heating), barbeques, braziers, gas-rings, plate warmers and similar non-electric domestic appliances  76.04 Aluminum bars, rods and profiles  76.05 Aluminum wire  76.06 Aluminum plates, sheets and strip, of a thickness exceeding 0.2 mm  76.07 Aluminum foil (whether or not printed or backed with paper, paperboard, plastics or similar backing materials) of a thickness (excluding any backing) not exceeding 0.2 mm  76.08 Aluminum tubes and pipes  76.09 Aluminum tube or pipe fittings (for example, couplings, elbows, sleeves)  76.10 Aluminum structures (excluding prefabricated buildings of heading 94.06) and parts of structures (for example, bridges and bridge-sections, towers, lattice masts, roofs, roofing frameworks, doors and windows and their frames and thresholds for doors, balustrades, pillars and columns); aluminum plates, rods, profiles, tubes and the like, prepared for use in structures  76.11 Aluminum reservoirs, tanks, vats and similar containers, for any material (other than compressed or liquefied gas), of a capacity exceeding 300 litres, whether or not lined or heat-insulated, but not fitted with mechanical or thermal equipment  76.12 Aluminum casks, drums, cans, boxes and similar containers (including rigid or collapsible tubular containers), for any material (other than compressed or liquefied gas), of a capacity not exceeding 300 litres, whether or not lined or heat-insulated, but not fitted with mechanical or thermal equipment  76.13 Aluminum containers for compressed or liquefied gas  76.14 Stranded wire, cables, plaited bands and the like, of aluminum, not electrically insulated  76.15 Table, kitchen or other household articles and parts thereof, of aluminum; pot scourers and scouring or polishing pads, gloves and the like, of aluminum; sanitary ware and parts thereof, of aluminum  76.16 Other articles of aluminum  8418.10 Combined refrigerator-freezers, fitted with separate external doors  8419.19 Instantaneous or storage water heaters, non-electric: Other than instantaneous gas water heaters  8422.11.90  Other dish washing machines, other than of the household type  8433.11 Mowers for lawns, parks or sports-grounds: Powered, with the cutting device rotating in a horizontal plane  8450.11 Household or laundry-type washing machines, each of a dry linen capacity not exceeding 10 kg: Fully-automatic machines  8450.20 Household or laundry-type washing machines, each of a dry linen capacity exceeding 10 kg  85.37 Boards, panels, consoles, desks, cabinets and other bases, equipped with two or more apparatus of heading 85.35 or 85.36, for electric control or the distribution of electricity, including those incorporating instruments or apparatus of Chapter 90, and numerical control apparatus, other than switching apparatus of heading 85.17  8903.10 Inflatable boats  8903.91 Sailboats, with or without auxiliary motor  8903.92 Motorboats, other than outboard motorboats  8903.99.90  Outboard motorboats, other vessels for pleasure or sports, nes  90.32 Automatic regulating or controlling instruments and apparatus  9401.61 Other seats, with wooden frames: Upholstered  9404.21 Mattresses of cellular rubber or plastics, whether or not covered  9404.29 Mattresses of other materials  9404.30 Sleeping bags  9404.90 Other bedding and similar articles, nes  9504.40 Playing cards  9608.10 Ball point pens  9608.20 Felt tipped and other porous-tipped pens and markers

(Oh no, my supply of 'odoriferous preparations' may be hampered!)

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

In actual news, can someone explain the implications of this to ebay Canada sellers?

Cue Charlie Brown's teacher.    🙂

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:
... explain to me what implications this stands to have to ebay Canada sellers? I do doubt many of us are routinely exporting ingots of aluminum to buyers in the USA but Table 2 is all about things one would presumably buy or sell while shopping on ebay. Does it affect us importing these items as shoppers? Or exporting as sellers? Does it affect us at all?

https://www.fin.gc.ca/activty/consult/cacsap-cmpcaa-eng.asp

Notice of intent to impose countermeasures action against the United States in response to tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum products

This is where it helps to know your HS Codes, I presume.

Canadian counter-tariffs apply to stuff imported into Canada from the USA starting July 1 (maybe) and will effect Canadian buyers that have their purchases stopped for assessment.

The USA steel and aluminum tariffs apply to commercial shipments so Canadian sellers have no need to worry for shipments under $750US -- and it will be the responsibility of the American buyer to pay the duty when importing from Canada (so there may be some shipments bouncing back).

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I think the implications are much larger, even now, despite the fact these are just threats until July 1 because American buyers will be even more shy about buying "international" stuff over worries other things might be added to the list and/or they don't really know how it will affect them either.

Trade wars or even threats thereof are not good for us Canadian sellers.... in my eyes....regardless what we sell....

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I wonder if there will be additional delays in processing ALL shipments at Customs as well. If they have to examine packages with renewed attention, might it result in a  backlog? Maybe I'll pose the question at the Weekly Chat. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

There might be a "price exemption below which the tariff is not charged.  This could be something similar to the application of GST on items travelling from the US to Canada.

Tariffs would be more easily charged on large truckloads crossing the border.  Alternatively it could be charged on a single large item that a Canadian may transport  across the border into Canada.  This item would have been easily seen when the item goes through customs...

It is doubtful whether the border people will be concerned over the very small and low priced items crossing the border...  unless someone transports boxes full of the item where a tariff should be applied...

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Yep I agree, I think the "actual" effect of this stuff will be marginal if at all on us wee sellers.

However I think the "emotional" effect it generates in buyers may have a significant impact in terms of reduced purchasing.

My sales were significantly down in May, as far as I can tell from the stuff I watch and the reporting (such as it is) the problem is in my (stamp) world in May and not just me, which is small consolation.

Based on what I'm seeing in the news for stuff like this, I think June is going to be challenging as well.... time will tell...

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

These Canadian tarriffs on imports would have no direct impact on Canadian sellers as our goods are moving in the opposite direction, we are exporters. I agree though that some American buyers may harden their buy American views because of these trade tensions.

As buyers (importers) of American goods I don't really believe most of the goods on that list would often apply to individuals, I cannot imagine too many Canadians cross border shop for say a dishwasher or a case of toilet paper. Perhaps we could possibly be dinged for importing a case of beef jerky? Not really sure how far down the scale these tarriffs would apply. There's also no mention of the tarriff rates? 1% or 100%?

Looking through the list it's not difficult to guess the reasoning for the inclusion of many of them.

For instance, ketchup and mustard is aimed at improving French's competitive position over Heinz... French product is grown and processed in Canada, Heinz famously has abandoned Canadian processing.
In fact the list of items in the food processing industry is quite lengthy, an obvious attempt to shore up the Canadian food processing industry's competitive position.

The one item included in that industry that confuses me is orange juice... don't understand that one at all.

Toilet paper, serviettes and tissues is obviously aimed at protecting and improving the market share of Kruger (formerly Scotties) brands who hold the majority market share in Canada.

Anyway, the point is these tariffs are squarely aimed (except for OJ) at improving the competitive position of Canadian industry versus American production. They are not directly aimed at us as consumers although prices are sure to rise in the midst of all this **bleep** for tat trade turmoil.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

(Bleep for tat, that’s my favourite.)
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Yeah... wasn't thinking of the "taboo words" bot when writing that.... the original text got censored. Lol
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

However I think the "emotional" effect it generates in buyers may have a significant impact in terms of reduced purchasing.

Yes, I agree. The emotional effect will be substantial. My year thus far is way down from previous years.... Jan-May are usually very healthy months and I'm selling like it was July or August.

I've also had a major increase in European sales over US sales. The USA would account for 80-85% of my overall sales.

Trump wants tension, disruption and more importantly attention, it helps feed his narcissistic persona.    

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Sure hope that Toby seller doesn't get much grief when they send a message?  Can only imagine!!! Darn bots!!!

-CM

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

In fact the list of items in the food processing industry is quite lengthy, an obvious attempt to shore up the Canadian food processing industry's competitive position.

I suspect that is just a pleasantly unexpected outcome.

The new tariffs are aimed at US manufacturers, mostly in Republican states, from what I understand.

(There may be a sop being offered to the Canadian Dairy Farmers- yogurt and 'pizza kits' have been sore points with them for decades.  Personally I look at the place of manufacture for anything dairy, because of the high levels of hormones allowed in US dairy, but both forbidden and uneconomic in Canada.)

The 'other than in cans and glass jars' would allow in mostly pet food with no new duty , I'm guessing that from the 'spent fowl' term, which again at a guess is abbatoir  byproducts. So no containers of poultry bones , guts, and feathers coming in from the US for pet and livestock food. Or fertilizer.

You would be AMAZED at the parts of slaughtered animals that have industrial uses. A lot of it goes to China. I was at Agriculture Canada during the Mad Cow Crisis, and the lists of banned products were eye-opening.

Everything but the squeal, as they say.

There is a lot aimed at the processed aluminium industry. We sell the US about 90 % of the aluminium they use-- and they can't ramp up domestic production because they don't have either the bauxite or the cheap electricity for making it.  But we just ship the metal. What is being hit is the stuff the Americans make from the metal they buy.

Most of the machinery being taxed is for industrial or commercial use, except, for unknown reasons, for household washing machines. So if you need a new washer, buy in June.

Ditto for pleasure boats.

Also incense, ballpoint pens, and playing cards.  Which sounds like a country song in the making.

I split the Wall'o'Text  ™ into paragraphs of similar items. Which was something I did when I was a public servant. Oddly, I miss those days.

confuses me is orange juice... don't understand that one

Florida produces the most orange juice.

It has a Republican state government and one federal Republican senator (Marco Rubio).

The congresspeople seem evenly split R/D, but I don't know who is up for election this fall. Maybe all of them. 

The various candies ?  A lot are made in Pennsylvania, including what Hershey calls chocolate. But I don't think their Republican senator is up for reelection in 2018.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

The new tariffs are aimed at US manufacturers, mostly in Republican states, from what I understand.

Justin Trudeau and Company are targeting Republican states that will be effected by the midterm elections this fall. 

All 435 seats in the United states House of Representatives and 35 of the 100 seats in the United States Senate will be up for grabs.

Go Demarcates go.... 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

I wonder if there will be additional delays in processing ALL shipments at Customs as well. If they have to examine packages with renewed attention, might it result in a  backlog? Maybe I'll pose the question at the Weekly Chat.  

For commercial shipments above the LVS threshold possibly, but for your everyday mail it won't make much of a difference. The NAFTA posing on both sides is aimed at commercial imports/exports. The majority of small packages sail through unless subject to intentional delays like we have seen with packages from HK/China. It is a money losing proposition for customs to even bother trying to assess anything under $50-60, although they do occasionally bother with spot checks. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply