Is eBay the paradise of scammers?

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a legitimate question to ask.

I'm honestly and accurately describing my eBay experience here so it serves other peoples, knowing it will probably be hided or buried by the moderators. 

Here's what I think and please take my testimony also as a warning.

Hopefully you are not reading this too late,  AFTER been scammed, or you are not an helpless victim of this site in search of answers. In this case, I really feel sorry for you.

Clearly, if you are a seller, especially inexperienced one, such me, you will come across scammers, abusers and you will lose money.

And this is fine with eBay because SELLERS are held 100% responsible by the Money-back guarantee policy.

Try this, go in a store, check an item you like, examine it, buy, use it. Then, for whatever reason, return it back.

If the store policy say the only condition they will take it back it's because it is red, yellow, or blue, then everyone will return the item claiming it is red, yellow, or blue, of course.

They will take it back, check it out, see if it is red, yellow, or blue and decide to refund or not. That's the typical way it works in real life and nobody has to read all small characters or the store policy because that's how it goes. It's called trust. 

If you don't know the definition of trust, please take a moment to check it out.

eBay has a Money-back policy backing buyers that can be easily abused by unscrupulous buyers, and if you were aware of the risks before, you wouldn't had, obviously, never used the site to sell your items.

Unfortunately, it's always newbies, like me (and most likely you), that gets trapped. And there is no chance at all that eBay will make this harder to newbies to fell for it. A simple and explicite warning before you engage in selling your things. Instead of the usual bunch of links disguised in usual boring legal stuff no one ever read.

Knowing the risks, many will not agree to sell on eBay after knowing what they should had known. 

After a misadventure of that nature, and seeking for answers, and wondering what are my options, I found an endless amounts of seller horror stories all over the place. Reddit, Quora, Youtube, Facebook, Mastodon, Discord, Google, name it, and even people have set up personal sites to join the cabal. It's impossible to read everything and you will find similar situations describing yours within minutes. 

As a result, I lost complete trust in eBay. It's now nothing less than corporatism scamming for me. From ridiculous listing fees insertion, final fees, and support, you feel being completely scammed. I immediately realised after the first sell, if they have a chances to take an additional dime from you, they will. 

As a result, you will lost complete trust in eBay too, and most likely leave, as any normal person would react.

You will feel so bad for not have taking the time to read annoying things. But again, it is the human nature in you that makes you trust people naturally.

Let's be very clear, (from what I have read and experienced after my 3rd sell only), rather sooner than later,

-you WILL lose money on ebay
-you WILL be scammed and abused in one way or another

Even if,
-YOU ALWAYS CLEARLY STATES YOUR SELLING TERMS
-YOU HAVE TONS OF PICTURES, VIDEOS and PROOFS
-YOU HAVE A PERFECT SCORE IN 20 YEARS
-YOU HAVE AN IRREPROACHABLE EBAY REPUTATION
-YOU HAVE BOUGHT OVER $50k OF GOODS ON EBAY

EVEN IF,

YOU SOLD TO AN OBVIOUS SCAMMER, LIAR WITH A FRESH BRAND NEW EBAY ACCOUNT...

...you will lose!

And this is why, I have no doubt, eBay is the paradise of scammers.

In a new YouTube blockbuster near you soon.

Bonus:

(they let an old thread run for 3 years, then, as soon someone post a follow up, and reactivates the thread and negative eBay reviews starts pouring in that thread, they suddenly close the thread, claiming that's an old thread)

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't know who gave a thumb up on that, but your circle jk seems at work.

So, you made your point, you keep making it personnal and only want to derail this thread.

I'm muting all your posts.

Have fun playing with yourself.

BTW very nice figurines. Great stuff.

I'm not being sarcastic or lying.
Must expensive to import from China.

Message 61 of 64
latest reply

Happy Spring Morning and thank you for your "words", hope you have a wonderful day, mate!

Message 62 of 64
latest reply

Yep. I am an experienced seller, and I am getting scammed right now.  A 0 feedback  buyer says a brand new double boxed perfectly packaged( I used to sell china on eBay  a decade and had no breaks) metal and plastic item arrived broken.  Fedex delivery pics  shows package is intact.  Really damage  is impossible unless cosmic rays caused internal combustion or something . No contact with me as a seller, but the buyerdoes open immediately  a dispute/return case  and states they want a refund or replacement.  I asked for pictures and none were received, and the buyer only replied to me by forwarding my own message asking for pictures. 
I sent a return label,  and no matter what comes back, I will lose the case. I am losing money no matter what here. 
My take is unless your profit margin on listed items is high, don't bother.  It is really easy to scam a seller, even experienced ones.

Message 63 of 64
latest reply

You guys really has a tendency to act like you lost everything before losing anything. You won't be able to claim insurance since they took a picture of the package undamaged. But if it's an item swap scam, you have ressources. ebay sometimes will take the loss for you and refund buyer at their cost. You would need to file a police report i'm not sure. If buyer damaged the item, you're not forced in those case to fully refund. Why not waiting to have the item in hands and inspect before screaming about getting scammed in situations where many things could have hapened?

Message 64 of 64
latest reply