Item arrived after filing a ticket with Canada Post

viyche-0
Community Member

Hi all,

What do I do if I sold a jacket (~100CAD) which was deemed LOST until it showed up on the buyer's doorstep, after refunding the buyer AND receiving a full compensation from Canada Post service ticket? The buyer has offered to pay me back, so do I take her money and cash in the cheque from CP too? The latter seems justifiable since this qualifies for a late delivery refund (read here), but I'm not sure if I should accept the money from the buyer given CP has paid for all monetary compensation. Please let me know! Thanks guys!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

This is an ethical decision.

The buyer has her coat.

She should pay you for her coat.

Then  you two are square.

But you are holding a cheque from Canada Post.

Should you cash it?

I agree that Canada Post owes you the cost of shipping because they contracted to perform a service (prompt delivery) and did not perform it. (The coat was delivered but not promptly.)

The rest of the Canada Post payment though.....

FWIW, you own Canada Post and so do I. It is a profitable crown corporation that adds money to Canadian coffers, reducing the amount we need to pay in taxes, to afford our social security net.

I'm sure you will do the right thing.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I would thank the buyer for their offer but turn them down. You received your money and the buyer clearly waited a very long time for the item.

I can't say I have any qualms about causing Canada Post to lose some money but it doesn't seem right to double dip.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Once an insurance claim has been opened with Canada Post, it has been my choice not to refund the buyer until Canada Post has confirmed the insurance amount will be paid,  and then received by me.

There have been times when the buyer receives a refund from other sellers, it has been the buyer's  choice not to cooperate with the postal service. 

It was several years ago that I had mailed a parcel to Calgary, and it was not received at a community mailbox.  Buyer was very unhappy and had to be reminded to cooperate with Canada Post, specifically to confirm the parcel was not received.

This unhappy buyer eventually received  the refund, after I had received the insurance money from Canada Post.   Buyer was continually updated with information about what was happening between Canada Post and me.

The critical part of this insurance claim was that it was associated with a community mailbox, and the parcel had to be proved as not received by the buyer.    This required the buyer's input.

To me it was a book valued at about $200.  Because everything was associated with a community mailbox,  delivery to the mailbox was noted.....  and Canada Post required confirmation by the ... buyer  that the parcel was not received.

It was because of the overall situation   that it was most important not to refund the buyer before the insurance claim money was received.  Buyer input was an absolute necessity... and is always required  with an insurance claim....

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

This happened to me a few years ago.

Sadly despite my frustrations with CP, I didn't think it was right to keep their insurance $$$.

In my case, the buyer paid again and I ended up sending a cheque to Canada Post to refund the amount (which they took forever to cash!).
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Once an insurance claim has been opened with Canada Post, it has been my choice not to refund the buyer until Canada Post has confirmed the insurance amount will be paid,  and then received by me.

You would get a neg and an unresolved by seller defect if you tried that with me!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply