Local pickup. But, my phone OS is too old to install eBay app. Can I enter code on web site?

Hello all. I want to allow local pickup for some items (and maybe even cash payment upon pickup).

I understand that the buyer would show me a message from eBay containing a QR code and also a numeric code, either of which could be used by me with the eBay phone app. However, my old iPhone's OS is too old, so eBay app will not install (app requires a newer OS than my phone is capable of).

Is there a way I can enter the buyer's code via the eBay web site, rather than app? 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Local pickup. But, my phone OS is too old to install eBay app. Can I enter code on web site?

marnotom!
Community Member

No, but. . .

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/local-pickup?id=4181

If you don't want to use the app, ask the buyer to sign a copy of the eBay invoice at the time of pickup.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Although I have the eBay app I've never used it for local pick up. I haven't done local pick up a lot (mabye about 10 - 12 times over the course of a few years) and I've nevered used a QR code or anything like that.

In my case I've always done it so that the item had to be paid for on eBay first (no cash payment). I told the buyer(s) as soon as payment was received we could set up a time and I would give them my address. No one ever had a problem doing it this way, most times it's just the shipping charge they are trying to save. Also this way there was proof through eBay messages of date/time of meet up. I would check off "item picked up" manually from the site here once it was received by buyer and never had a problem doing it this way (knock on wood).

Once way back the person decided after the fact that I lived too far away and wanted me to ship it instead so I cancelled/refunded them and we re-did the transaction with shipping added (sometimes people realize it's not always cheaper to drive).

I'm not a fan of the local pick up myself mostly for the reason that sometimes people take a long time to actually commit to a date and time - most often excuse/delay was people who were waiting to visit a friend or family that lived near me (they did not) and so I'd have to wait for that.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thanks. You've confirmed that there's no way to enter the code on the eBay web site. Signing the invoice is a sort of workaround, unfortunately doesn't prove to eBay that the buyer picked up the item, but at least it's something to show eBay if buyer claims he didn't receive the item. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thanks. It's good that you never had a problem. However, without scanning or entering the code from the buyer, you don't have any proof of the pickup if the buyer decides to claim he didn't receive the item. You checked off "item picked up", but you don't have any proof if buyer and eBay dispute that.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Always do what's comfortable with you, I wasn't even aware of the QR code thing or anything back when I arranged my first local pick up (5+ years ago?), buyer had asked if they could so I thought I'd give it a try. My items weren't very expensive either so that's a factor of course. I've never had it as part of my listings, I only do it if someone has specifically requested it.

I considered the email message they sent confirming the date and time they were coming was proof but obviously that's no contract, do it how you feel safest.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@toronto_tuttle wrote:

Thanks. You've confirmed that there's no way to enter the code on the eBay web site. Signing the invoice is a sort of workaround, unfortunately doesn't prove to eBay that the buyer picked up the item, but at least it's something to show eBay if buyer claims he didn't receive the item. 

I've done lots of Local Pickup sales over the past 25 years, in the past 10 years almost all buyers pay through eBay which means I have some control over the pick up time/date whereas in the old days a local buyer could string you along for weeks and then not ever show up.

I have never bothered with QR codes and never worried about fake INR claims before the QR system started a couple of years ago. Probably the worst experiences I've had with Pickup are the few buyers who truly wanted to be my friend! I don't usually mind a few minutes of chitter chatter especially if it leads to tag on sales with no eBay fees but sometimes this can lead to VERY extended conversations with people who are just not that interesting.

As always, what you are selling matters big time, in some categories you can get a lot of "difficult" buyers.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply