Low Bidders

Patience...Patience..I am sure all sellers have low bidder stories, but boy can your patience be tried. Selling a $25.00 item which I consider fairly well priced, would take $15.00 if I had to. Buyer sends me a low bid of $5.00, I countered with $15.00. Responds back with $20.00 and free shipping. Lives across the country and the shipping would amount to around $25.00, second offer is worse than the original. Debating whether to just block. II get everyone wants a deal, but c'mon.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Low Bidders

Over many years I have found the best way to handle "cheapskates" is to ignore them. The "customer" will eventually go on to bother some one else. Encouraging the cheapskates just gets a seller into a haggling session which eats up time.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Low Bidders

I agree with Dennis, but for the record, shipping is not part of a Best Offer negotiation.

I suppose the reasoning is that shipping cost is out of the hands of the seller, because it is set by Canada Post (or UPS or whoever).

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Low Bidders

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I agree with Dennis, but for the record, shipping is not part of a Best Offer negotiation.

I suppose the reasoning is that shipping cost is out of the hands of the seller, because it is set by Canada Post (or UPS or whoever).

I have noticed that some buyers like to be sneaky. In this case a bunch of blank rows and then "You pay shipping". Almost clicked accept until I saw it.. Although I believe as you state shipping is not part of the negotiation.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Low Bidders

I have had people offer me low bids & ask for free shipping.  I just had one the other day. Told him I don't do free shipping & that it isn't worth my time or effort to sell my item for cheap. He sent me another offer which wasn't any better.  I ignored it & didn't reply again.  Also added him to my blocked list.  Checked his feedback & saw that he has given many sellers negative feedback. I don't need buyers like that.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Low Bidders

None of my listings have the Best Offer option present.

Yet  I do get offers...

My response..... An offer is only considered if the price of an item is in the range of $50 to $75 and higher....

This works.

----------------------------------------------------

Then I get an offer on a book priced at $35......  with shipping to the US as Tracked Packet  at $21

The offer was $35 with shipping included......

I answer was to say .. no thank you... and blocked him

Comes back a few months later....

But this time  it was his comparison with me in relation to another seller  for the same book.

Both sellers were located in Winnipeg... My shipping was $21  while this other seller had $7.99

I knew the other seller  and his books were at a fulfilment centre in the US....  so this other seller's shipping cost was correct.

The other Winnipeg seller was close to retirement, and sent his last big batch of books to the fulfilment centre in the US.

This potential buyer was unhappy.... I was overcharging shipping.....but he was already blocked.  He finally bought from the other Winnipeg seller.

I wonder what he thought when he received his book... and the information on the parcel  gave the name of the Fulfilment centre in the US.

--------------------------------------------

People making inappropriate offers do not want to hear   you will not drop the price.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Low Bidders

It was many years ago that I had an unusual unique book listed at $95....

Monday.... Received an offer of $45.... My response was that this book will  sell at $95..  I had sold many copies of this book at this price.

Potential buyer was blocked

Tuesday...  Received an offer of $65,,,,,,, Did not respond.....  went shopping'

Wednesday... The offer was $65  with shipping included...  this person lived in Maine, USA

My response was.....The book sold this morning (Wednesday) at $95.  Buyer also lived in Maine US.

Both the buyer and the offer-maker lived in Maine, at opposite ends of the state.   

Was this purely by chance  or was something else happening.

No worry..... No further thought... I made the sale at my price!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Low Bidders

Nothing makes me happier than to sell an item at full price whilst a low bidder is sending in small bids...."the item has already sold at the full price" is my favourite response!
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Low Bidders

None of my listings have the Best Offer Option.

But.....  Offers will be considered if they fit my criteria.

Also... If the person buys several books...  that is 4 or 5 books purchased ......and I give  "free shipping......

---------------------------------------------

Also.... The price of an item as well as shipping cost can be a part of an offer with eBay's Best Offer Option.....

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Low Bidders

That sold situation  with a buyer......while a low bidder argues ...... is a most happy situation.

Almost as good as putting a listing on eBay.... You look for it in your active listings.....and it does not show..

Why?

Surprise, surprise... It sold!

Or you list it at 1:00 PM..... Go shopping... Get back home  and it sold... for $150

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Low Bidders

What I do in those situations, I counter offer a second time with my best price and specify in the comments that it really is my best price. If the buyer is serious, he will accept. If he's just searching for a "deal", he goes away.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Low Bidders

Last year I had an item listed for several months with a BiN of $1150.  It was a very rare auto part.

A guy contacts me and tells me that it's only worth $550 and offers that to me (also asking free shipping).  i politely declined his offer.  For this part, I have bought and sold more of them than any other person in north America, so I know the market.

Two weeks later a buyer from the UK hits the BiN button.  

I was very close to sending the cheapskate a message to inform him of his incorrect opinion on the price, but I never got around to it.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply