Managed Payments and Going Forward

Personally, since I started selling on eBay, when I have purchased on eBay and elsewhere, funds came directly from PayPal. Really can't remember a purchase requiring my bank account to complete. It was that thing they used to call...Convenience. Going forward...probably not as likely. Really limited incentive unless there is reason to pay for postage that route.

Once Managed Payments is fully implemented and your "profits" start going to your bank account vs PayPal, do you think your purchasing decisions, frequency of purchases with eBay or will you shop on other sites?

-Lotz

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Won't be joining MP, rarely purchase anything on eBay anymore and will definitely continue purchasing elsewhere. For myself, eBay is no longer the go-to-place for anything anymore for buying or selling...

and yes I prefer buying and selling using PayPal...

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

My purchasing habits will not change one bit. If I buy from a US Seller I'll use my US credit card as I always have, when I buy from a Canadian or other non-us seller I will use my Canadian credit card.

For my own protection I haven't used a PayPal balance to pay for a purchase in a very long time.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@recped 

When you use your card directly, are you using a Guest Account or your own buying/selling one?

I never thought of using my card, although frankly I do buy using a PP balance and tell others not to do that.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I use my regular buying accounts and I use my credit card through PayPal.

Once ALL sellers are in MP I probably can ditch my personal PayPal account. Of course I buy from sellers on many different eBay sites and some of those it's anyone's guess when they will be in MP (currently just starting on .com, .de, .ca & .uk). As far as buying elsewhere, it's been a long time since I bought anything from a website that required PayPal, everywhere I buy at best PayPal is an option but credit cards are the primary payment method.

You haven't needed to do anything to use a credit card for payment directly through eBay checkout for at least 3 years and probably going back to 2015. Although those payments were actually processed through PayPal you didn't need a PayPal account.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@recped wrote:

My purchasing habits will not change one bit. If I buy from a US Seller I'll use my US credit card as I always have, when I buy from a Canadian or other non-us seller I will use my Canadian credit card.

For my own protection I haven't used a PayPal balance to pay for a purchase in a very long time.

I'm interested to know what the risk is of paying via PAYPAL balance?

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

@recped wrote:

I'm interested to know what the risk is of paying via PAYPAL balance?

The risk as a buyer is that you lose your (probably) last option should things go horribly wrong.

Personally my reason for not using a balance is slightly different, I don't like to use my account balance because PayPal still charges sellers the same rate even though PayPal doesn't have to pay ANY credit card processing fees.

Payments from a balance was the "secret sauce" that turned PayPal into a multi-billion dollar company. 2.9% + 30 cents and 100% of it went into PayPal's pocket, payments funded by a credit card cut PayPal's profit margin in half.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

...I most likely will reduce my eBay Store to Basic and just continue to expand my Shopify, things change, and after 21 years of being here "accepting" all eBays convoluted "updates and changes" it's time to expand into new fertile grounds. A bit like our ancestors did...

And, Shopify is Canadian, right in Montreal & you can sell in USD and use Paypal.

As for the "Stores" you control everything, the look, and feel, the terms and conditions of your business.

Unlike eBay who thinks it their "Business", and decision WRONG!

Also, with all the mess in the US...

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Frankly, if I cannot get my USD sales $ into my pay pal account, I will no longer buy from eBay sellers in USD.
It also impacts my sourcing. I source directly from Germany. USD to Euro is a better exchange rate than CAD to Euro, and my source accepts paypal.
If my USD sales are converted to CAD (with the high ebay MP fee of 3%) into my bank, and then I have to move those CAD to paypal and then convert those CAD to Euro, then I can no longer afford to buy my inventory from Germany.

In addition, the fact that MP will take the FVF and exchange fee of 3% and the upcharge fees of .4% for US sales and 1% for foreign sales and HST fees and promotional fees OR (if you sell on .com) the 1.65% fee for sales outside of the US, that creates a cash flow problem.  Selling pre-MP, you get ALL your $$ immediately into paypal to use or transfer as you see fit, in whatever $ amount you want. I get a MONTHLY invoice from eBay which I pay via CC and therefore get points and also am not req'd to pay for ANOTHER month, at which time I can pay from my bank OR my line of credit, depending on what I need to do for inventory etc.
So in MP those funds will be GONE immediately. My monthly ebay bill will be down to just the store fee. So around $1k plus is no longer in my cash flow. A big restructure to figure out how to handle that. If I can handle that.
Then think about refunds. Using eBucks or the store coupon for shipping supplies.
Anything extra like that will come out of your BANK ACCT unless you happen to have monies waiting to transfer via MP. If you sold in USD and have to refund, you will lose in exchange.
It is all potentially an accounting nightmare too.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I can report that eBay has officially locked me out of listing now due to not signing up for MP.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

They let you list a few items Today and then told you that you couldn't list any more until you registered with MP?

On another note and just because I am curious......you have 1 item listed for $1 BIN with free shipping.   With postage and fees you have to be losing money on that item, Why bother listing for that price?

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Yeah I listed a few late last night/early morning. I got an email today saying I was locked out of listing and I tested it and its true. I'm still making sales and can create drafts and all that.

As for the $1 item, thats just an experiment I'm doing for fun to see how fast it would sell. (spoiler: not that fast!) I've even put in the description that I know I am losing money and am ok with it. 🙂

Message 12 of 12
latest reply