Morning Surprise ? or Did I miss earlier announcement

izzame
Community Member

I realize .ca isn't included but what have we been included in this year? Is .ca dead and we haven't been given the funeral notice yet?

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/2017/10/09/ebay-rolls-new-search/

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Morning Surprise ? or Did I miss earlier announcement

I am speculating, it's a matter of perception.  Ebay does not want to be perceived as a "second hand store".  By eliminating the description, it is impossible to sell anything collectible, antique or preowned.  So, yes, it's probably just a matter of time.

I feel betrayed, as I and others like me helped make ebay what it is.  Without us small boutique sellers who've been here almost since the beginning, there would be no ebay.  I know these comments are an effort in futility, but it's good to have a little rant occasionally. 

Cheers.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I don't think the 'new' search will be good news for most small sellers.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@izzame wrote:

I realize .ca isn't included but what have we been included in this year? Is .ca dead and we haven't been given the funeral notice yet? 

LOL -- didn't you know we're not a separate country?  Just another extended "territory" of the U.S., like Puerto Rico.  For some reason Americans have no trouble visualizing Australia as a national entity, but Canada -- nah.  Although I expect someone in San Jose may eventually notice that Canada got left out.  

As for the effect of this "intelligent" search feature, it will impact almost anyone trying to sell mass-produced commercial goods on eBay, and a race to the lowest price/shipping cost will ensue, which will doubtless favour larger sellers who can buy in bulk and contract for better shipping deals.  

This is clearly why eBay made SKUs or other commercially-manufactured identifiers mandatory, and why they've been focusing on their catalogue and stock photos.  They want the kind of homogenized product information that machine logic can best deal with.  Next thing you know they'll be outlawing custom descriptive text.  

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Typical garbage from idiotic programmers.

Most of the non new items will obviously get left out again.

Just what Ebay wants.

We are going the way of the dinosaur and by this time next year, poof.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

"Next thing you know they'll be outlawing custom descriptive text. "

Were close to that now, just a matter of time.
Item Description: We suggest describing your item in 100 words or less, utilizing black and white text with no special fonts.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I am speculating, it's a matter of perception.  Ebay does not want to be perceived as a "second hand store".  By eliminating the description, it is impossible to sell anything collectible, antique or preowned.  So, yes, it's probably just a matter of time.

I feel betrayed, as I and others like me helped make ebay what it is.  Without us small boutique sellers who've been here almost since the beginning, there would be no ebay.  I know these comments are an effort in futility, but it's good to have a little rant occasionally. 

Cheers.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I don't think the 'new' search will be good news for most small sellers.

The impact will vary depending on the type of items sold. They'll be grouping by part number/UPC codes in the same manner that Amazon does, so if one sells in categories where part numbers or UPCs are the norm there will definitely be an impact, whereas for other categories it will have little to no impact. The SDI by and large is not useful for anyone (referring to sellers) other than those that bottom feed.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@izzame wrote:
"Next thing you know they'll be outlawing custom descriptive text. "

Were close to that now, just a matter of time.
Item Description: We suggest describing your item in 100 words or less, utilizing black and white text with no special fonts.

Part one of that was already phased in with the restrictions put on external links, link formatting, etc to the description field. There will be another round of changes but long term they'll still require descriptions as there is no single content aggregator that serves all product categories. Content aggregators are companies that essentially provide manufacture product/specs in a format that can be mapped to products by their part numbers. For now ebay is relying entirely on the free labor of sellers rather than engaging with content aggregators. I can't see the status quo changing as the long term vision of the site is a half **bleep**d ecommerce retailer that poses as an actual merchant with a marketplace, but I can't see ebay making the transaction to becoming a full fledged retailer as they can't even manage the very basics of ecommerce.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply