New Seller - Terms of Service Help

Hello again, just wanted to get other people's thoughts on my terms of service:

---

BIDDING INFORMATION
US and Canada only. Bidders with 20+ feedback only.

PAYMENT INFORMATION
Paypal only. Please make payment within 3 days of winning the auction. 

SHIPPING INFORMATION
I will ship within 2 business days of payment being received.

Combined shipping available. All auctions must be paid for at the same time to receive discount.

Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer’s responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.

I do not mark items as gifts or below value.

RETURN POLICY
Refunds given for returns if item is misrepresented or damaged. Item must be returned within 14 days of buyer receiving it. Returns must be sent with all original contents (minus invoice).

---

1. Too much? Not enough?

2. Is my return policy going to screw me over somehow? Does the bold part come off as confrontational?

3. I am going to post this in the Item Description section. Should I remove the parts that can be posted in other sections of the listing? I kind of like all the info being in one area, even if it's more text.

4. Would I be able to add "Bidders must have 6 months or older accounts" and enforce it?

5. If someone with less than 20 feedback wins my item and I cancel it, would I be penalized for it?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Hi: I'm sure others will come in with more help on this but I think you might want to read the Mobile friendly FAQ. Here is a link - open the How Long is the View Item Description Summary.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/sprupd16/view-item.html#tab=faqs&faq=faq-vi-q04

Depending on how long your item description is you might not want to have all of your policies in the actual Item Description section.

If however you move them to the boxes provided by eBay that show up on the Shipping Tab, you will loose all of your formatting including paragraph and line spacing. Either that or I have not figured out how to include formatting. Whatever you type will be one long continuous paragraph.

Just one thing to think about before you continue.
I am certainly not an expert on this, but am reporting my own experience, so I hope others will comment.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

THERE are fields of data for almost all these terms that make them actually binding. Use that instead. Terms are a turn-off to buyers. I used to have a book written at the end of each listing. It’s pared down now. All buyers reallly want to know is more details on conditions; they don’t and won’t read this.
Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Also, it’s a bad idea to block new bidders or users. They’re my best customers.
Message 4 of 32
latest reply

This is the only part you need and in reality you could add it to payment instructions with the bit about payment within three days:

“Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer’s responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.

I do not mark items as gifts or below value.”
Message 5 of 32
latest reply

One final thing before I come across as a total Negative Nancy, you’ve gone a great job with due diligence in coming here to ask Questions ahead of time. You are going to be a great seller and credit to eBay!
Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Do not write it with the form.... I did it

Write in the third person.....  It was done

Using...... "I"..... puts everything in a direct... almost aggressive manner

Short paragraphs, sometimes one sentence in each paragraph. are easy to read.

Titles such as your titles  are too bold.....  These titles do not make it easy to read

Some sellers do a one paragraph for anything and everything.... too hard to read.

Some sellers do all capitals... too hard to read....  and then all capitals is considered... YELLING.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

@vroot_schroot9wrote:

Hello again, just wanted to get other people's thoughts on my terms of service:

BIDDING INFORMATION
US and Canada only. Bidders with 20+ feedback only.

There is absolutely no way for you to control who buys your items based on feedback so there is no point in writing that. Plus, in the last couple of years I see more and more guest buyers who always have 0 feedback and they don't cause any more problems than someone with 100 feedback.

The US and Canada part not necessary either but you must set up your listings correctly.  In your site preferences, buyer requirements, check off ' block buyers without a primary shipping address in a country that I don't ship to"

PAYMENT INFORMATION
Paypal only. Please make payment within 3 days of winning the auction. 

I advise that you don't check off Paypal required on your listing form or add this statement to your listings. If you check of PP required, you automatically block any buyer who doesn't have their PP account linked to their ebay account. You also block buyers who plan on paying with a credit card and don't have a PP account.  Paypal does allow non account holders to pay with a credit card.

Pay within 3 days.....Personally I want them to pay right away so I don't suggest that they can wait 3 days plus I don't think that it helps to make statements like that. Others may disagree.  If you list on .ca you can't open an unpaid item case until 4 days after purchase so the 3 days is unenforceable. 

SHIPPING INFORMATION

There is an area on the listing form that this must be put in but now ebay does not always show a seller's handling time, especially when looking at listings on .com so it might help to add on this statement.

Combined shipping available. All auctions must be paid for at the same time to receive discount.

Mixed feelings on this because sometimes ebay doesn't make it possible for buyers to actually buy an item until payment has been made. It's best if you set up combined shipping in your site preferences but many of us don't do that because of the difficulty of doing so with various types and sizes of items. I would suggest something like....Combined shipping available. Please put it items in your cart and then request total from seller. Make sure that in your site preferences you have checked off that combined shipping is allowed.

Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer’s responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.

I do not mark items as gifts or below value.

I would delete the last line about gifts etc. but that's just me.

RETURN POLICY
Refunds given for returns if item is misrepresented or damaged. Item must be returned within 14 days of buyer receiving it. Returns must be sent with all original contents (minus invoice).

Return policy only needs to be put in the correct area on the listing form.  Plus, if you accept returns you accept them for any reason including buyers remorse returns. If you don't want to accept returns because a buyer changed their mind etc., then have a no return policy. If the item is misrepresented or damaged the buyer will use the MBG.  I have a 30 day return policy but have never had anyone ask for a return more than a few days after they've received it but 14 days may work better for some sellers. I have a feeling though that ebay will require 30 days soon but I could be wrong.  Just a fyi....if you put returns accepted within 14 days..that means that the buyer has to start the return procedure within 14 days after receiving the item, not that you must have the item back within 14 days.

---

1. Too much? Not enough?

Too much and too much negativity. People don't want to read terms for each seller. If they want to know your return policy they will look in the return policy area.

2. Is my return policy going to screw me over somehow? Does the bold part come off as confrontational? 

Your return policy as you have stated it is not allowed and not enforceable.

3. I am going to post this in the Item Description section. Should I remove the parts that can be posted in other sections of the listing? I kind of like all the info being in one area, even if it's more text.

See number 1 reply.

4. Would I be able to add "Bidders must have 6 months or older accounts" and enforce it?

No you can't enforce it and why would you put that?

5. If someone with less than 20 feedback wins my item and I cancel it, would I be penalized for it? 

Yes, you would receive an out of stock defect.

I realize that there are tons of listings with terms similar to what you have mentioned but many people just copy what they see without any idea of the actual rules here and they don't realize that people in general don't want to read all of that stuff.

A pet peeve...You've used the term auction or winning an auction but are you actually going to sell only with auctions? Most people have fixed price listings not auctions and I always wonder why they used the word win or auction when neither applies to fixed price listings.

It is most important to fill your description area with an actual description and attributes of the item. That area should never be shorter than your list of rules.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

@pjcdn2005  has covered everything I would change.

One minor detail, here

SHIPPING INFORMATION

I'd use 48 hours rather than two days. Smoke and mirrors.

But that is covered in the Shipping and Handling section in any case.

And definitely talk about 'listings' rather than 'auctions', especially if like 85% of eBay transactions, you will actually be using Fixed Price.

Also:

When you have completed your listing, look at it on a mobile.

Over half of all eBay transactions are on mobile and it looks wildly different.

There is a 'mobile friendly' tool on the right top of the Description Box of the Sell Your Item form, which actually works.

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

LOL! Alright, good thing I asked here first. Thanks to everyone, I don't mind positive or negative, as long as it helps me figure this out.

I checked it out on the mobile view and it said everything was fine. It looks nice with colored font lol...

---

Okay, revised terms:

I will ship within 48 hours of receiving payment.

Combined shipping available. Please put items in your cart and then request total from me.

Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer’s responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine these additional costs prior to bidding/buying.

---

1. With the buyer requirements, the part where it should be (Seller Requirements) doesn't show for me (see image). I was able to change it using this link but I wonder why it won't show for me in Site Preferences. As far as combined shipping, I mainly will be selling trading cards only, so repacking stuff together isn't an issue.

2. Is there any added difficulty dealing with non-linked Paypal accounts or direct credit card transactions? Is unchecking that Buyers without a Paypal Account going to allow people to pay me with money orders, checks, etc.?

3. Are you guys not worried about new buyers being old buyers who violated eBay policy, or scammers popping up and then disappearing? That's why I added the 20 feedback and was thinking about the 6 month user thing.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

No. There’s nothing to be feared with new buyers. Some of the most sophisticated ‘scammers’ on eBay have high Feedback counts because they’ve learned the loopholes and don’t need to create new accounts to do so.
Message 11 of 32
latest reply

Also, money orders and cheques? Not likely. Buyers without a PayPal account are not to be avoided, they’re simply casual shoppers paying via credit card.
Message 12 of 32
latest reply

Did you try clicking on show all at the top right of that first page? My page doesn't come up like yours does but the show all should make everything else visible.

Unchecking that is not allowing buyers to pay with cheques or money orders.

As far as worrying about low feedback buyers, I don't worry about that at all and even if I did, ebay does not allow you to cancel a transaction just because a buyer is new.  If you did that each time you wouldn't be selling here for very long.

I doubt that you will run into this problem with trading cards  but there is one zero feedback buyer problem that has come up often on the US boards. (most often with sales for phones and electronics)   The buyer makes the  purchase and then asks for your email address so that they can send payment. Shortly after that the seller would see a paypal payment received email. In that situation the email is probably not really from paypal, you can check your paypal account to see if payment was really made.   The  warning sign in a situation like this is that they asked for your email address as they don't need it...they are able to pay directly through ebay.  In fact these days ebay frowns upon you giving anyone or asking for an email address as they are concerned that the sale is being taken off of ebay.  

There really are a very small percentage of dishonest people who buy and/or sell here so it isn't necessary to be paranoid but it is a good idea to know that there may be the odd problem buyer.  Some types of items seems to attract more dishonest people than other categories.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Is unchecking that Buyers without a Paypal Account going to allow people to pay me with money orders, checks, etc.?

As stated, no.

And you cannot ask to be paid by any method that doesn't include electronic tracking. This is a Buyer Protection.

The exception being on Pickup, when as a Seller Protection, most experienced sellers would ONLY accept cash payment.

A buyer can ask to pay by cheque, cash or money order, and you can accept. You don't have to.

BUT in my experience this means that you will never see a payment. Obviously most buyers won't want to send cash, and you don't want to deal with personal cheques which would require delivery time and clearance time before you would even consider shipping.

And money orders? Most are fine, although there are counterfeits out there. The only ones you should accept are Canada Post or other International Postal Money Orders, which you cash at the PO counter, then hand over the parcel.

But your buyer has to pay for the International Postal Money Order, not sure how much nowadays but going on $5, so he doesn't buy it and doesn't send it and you are into Unpaid Item Dispute territory.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

As a matter of interest, when I first started selling, under my Site Preferences, I had excluded buyers without a PayPal account (only because I did not understand the repercussions of doing this).  Some time later, I viewed my Buyer Requirements Activity Log (Site Preferences > Buyer Requirements > Buyer Requirements Activity Log) which showed buyers who were disallowed from purchasing my items based on the buyer requirements I had checked off.

In my case, there were a number of buyers who had too many unpaid item strikes, lived in countries to which I didn't ship and, most importantly, buyers who did not have a PayPal account.

There were a large number of these so I quickly changed that requirement.

Good luck to you!

Message 15 of 32
latest reply

You've been given good advice by others already so I'm not gonna repeat everything. In short, you can't block certain buyers as you are not allowed to by eBay, and most of your "terms" are not enforceable anyway since eBay's policy will override them. Though the 20 feedback and 6 months thing certainly reminds me of Yahoo Auction Japan, where sellers are allowed to cancel a newbie's bid AND ding them with a neg at the same time. Scary. 

It's okay to be paranoid but speaking from experience, I haven't had a single scammer. Non-payer yes, but they are rare, and I do have the blocks set to block buyers who have too many unpaid item strikes so having that block already significantly narrow down the number of non-payer you could get. As mentioned before, Sailor Moon collectible cards is a low risk category. There are like 900 listings running on eBay now too so you can check out other sellers' listings, and the "sold listing" function to see what are recently sold.

I get a decent number of sales from guest account people so there is absolutely no need to worry about new or zero feedback buyers. There are a ton of buyer horror stories here on Seller Central because... well, most people wouldn't come here to post about a good sale. If everybody posted every time they made a sale this place would be flooded! 

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

Interesting, interesting! As a consumer, there are many things I never even considered, from shipping to payment options. I'm still probably not going to accept non-PP/CC payments, but CP/USPS money orders don't sound too bad if the situation arises. I will try to be less paranoid lol.

Even when I click Show All, the Seller/Buyer Requirements still doesn't show up. Not sure what's going on there :S

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

Just make sure that the USPS money order is the pink international one.
Message 18 of 32
latest reply

The only method of payment that should be indicated in the listing is Paypal.

A seller cannot offer money orders, , but a potential buyer can ask if you will acccpt other methods of payment.

Do a search for Methods of Payment under Help... and get all of the appropriate information about what is and is not an  acceptable method of payment

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

Or Cash on Pickup.
Message 20 of 32
latest reply