No Regular parcel post available

Okay, so when I make a posting and put regular parcel post as the way we ship within Canada, it's fine.

But when we sell that item that is within weight and measurements, regular parcel does not come up, even when the seller sellects it.  Only expidited comes up or express.  And there is no option for regular parcel.

And I noticed this is a fairly new thing to happen.  WHYYYYYYY

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

@bennettcollectibles wrote:

Okay, so when I make a posting and put regular parcel post as the way we ship within Canada, it's fine.

But when we sell that item that is within weight and measurements, regular parcel does not come up, even when the seller sellects it.  Only expidited comes up or express.  And there is no option for regular parcel.

And I noticed this is a fairly new thing to happen.  WHYYYYYYY

@bennettcollectibles 

Expedited has become the new default service option for Canada. The price is usually comparative but not always. The same thing has happened with USA tracked now the default. Small packet air is no longer available with eBay Labels. That may or may not change if the current discount ends in a few months. There was no heads up from eBay about these changes. It just happened.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

I noticed the same thing, it has been about a week or so that you can't choose Regular Parcel.

As lotz says it may be that Expedited is comparable now to regular with eBay still continuing the discount in SOME instances, certainly not all. My guess is since they are really pushing/promoting the services they are discounting and having the calculated shipping reflect these discounted rates there may not be room with all the others they have in the roster they feel there's no need. It's unfortunate, Expedited Lite and Tracked Packet USA are really good savings right now with eBay labels but the Canada Post Expedited Parcel discount is not much of a deal in comparison, at least to the destinations I've sent to recently.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

I'm unsure if it is sad or just frustrating that 1 kg parcel can be sent substantially cheaper to the States vs a 500 gram package a couple of provinces over. Reminds of the goofiness of airline tickets. Domestic vs Intl.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies 

I figure this is because with domestic parcels, Canada Post does all the work and pays all the expenses.

With US parcels, Canada Post gets it to the border then hands it over to USPS and pays those lower rates.

Just like the cheap Chinese shipping we all love to complain about, except in reverse.Sorta.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I can't even get Expedited to come up for my Canadian shipments- only UPS! I have no idea why. I've tested with all sorts of different sizes and weights. It's never been an issue for me because it's always more expensive anyway. I thought they were just removing it as a service...
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:
I can't even get Expedited to come up for my Canadian shipments- only UPS! I have no idea why. I've tested with all sorts of different sizes and weights. It's never been an issue for me because it's always more expensive anyway. I thought they were just removing it as a service...

Expedited "should" show up from the dropdown for additional services. (It has for me on a PC. That's how I discovered small packet air for USA with MIA.) The only other possibility I can think of is the system is blocking services for either too small or too large according to CP standards for parcels. With Shippo and CP in the past you could always modify using smaller measurements and the system would still apply the correct rate and and allow you to print.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I am wondering if it is because with no tracking people can claim they never received their item?

But it sucks becuase postage is so high

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@mumbagirl wrote:

I am wondering if it is because with no tracking people can claim they never received their item?

Regular Parcel post has tracking.  However, unlike Expedited Parcel, it doesn't include up to $100 insurance.

Buyers can also make successful claims for not-received tracked items if the tracking doesn't show delivery, but you probably already know that.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Yes, this is happening because we are being "moved" into the new Universal Postal Union system of a 2 tier system for ALL things sent via the post...

Letter Mail/Post (no commercial merchandise)

Tracked (EVERYTHING ELSE)

This was planned years ago, that is what Expedited Lite is all about, testing the waters...

It is planned that you will ONLY be able to send mail of no commercial value by letter mail/post

If it is "merchandise" it will go by a "tracked" service.

They will retire Regular Parcel as it is untracked and the new systems will have the capacity to track everything, so...

Get your "business" models up to speed for the future... 

You can read the "report" from the last meeting in Washington online, it spells it all out and will be in place by 2025 for all Western nations at least that is the plan.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

It is planned that you will ONLY be able to send mail of no commercial value by letter mail/post

If it is "merchandise" it will go by a "tracked" service.

They will retire Regular Parcel as it is untracked and the new systems will have the capacity to track everything, so...

Regular Parcel is a tracked domestic service.  Do you mean International Surface Parcel?

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@marnotom! 

@brettjet38 

@mumbagirl  You are not losing your mind. 

It appears for some reason only known by eBay they are selectively removing services when you go to purchase a label inside eBay. Small Packet Air to USA suddenly poofed a few months ago. Regular Parcel with CP was next on the hit list. See attached.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1710170622480.png

I offer both Small Packet Air and Tracked to the USA just because I always have. Regular & Expedited. (So buyer can compare for an actual comparison). Last few days I have had buyers select Small Packet Air even though when they receive an invoice "it should" give them the option for both. Tracked being the cheaper of the 2 options (for now...until we find out what is happening with the tracked discount.)

In double checking current listings my options still show all services with the calculator.

lotzofuniquegoodies_1-1710170879185.png

lotzofuniquegoodies_2-1710170999794.png

-Lotz

As a side if you were purchasing a label directly from UPS or Fedex (counter or online) you would see additional shipping services. eBay decided on their own not to give access to all and only a select few public services. Probably the same thing that has been going on the USA for years. Years ago I had a customer requiring something very urgently. Priority Intl was available with CP but not with Shippo.

As pointed out previously ages ago, the eBay discounted calculator tool for sellers use still does not show all available services. Fedex partially. UPS is service non grata

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

I suspect they will put a tracking number on International Surface shipped items also, but it will not be offered as a service on sites like eBay in the future due to the delivery times and delays.

The takeaway is that it will be a 2 tier system for post...

Lettermail (documents)

Tracked (Merchandise) everything else...

So, I am sure certain services are going to be phased out and streamlined or folded into other services over the next 2 year window.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

I suspect they will put a tracking number on International Surface shipped items also, but it will not be offered as a service on sites like eBay in the future due to the delivery times and delays.

The takeaway is that it will be a 2 tier system for post...

Lettermail (documents)

Tracked (Merchandise) everything else...

So, I am sure certain services are going to be phased out and streamlined or folded into other services over the next 2 year window.

I believe all mail is supposed to be tracked soon, is it not? I think in the UK their new stamps provide QR codes that track every single piece of mail (at least between post offices).  I'm pretty sure they can still send goods lettermail within the country, just not outside it.  Hopefully they'll either do the same thing here, or provide some sort of media mail / eBay standard envelope options.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

When shipping within Canada, the small business card discount is to provide Expedited shipping for the cost of regular parcel, so I supect that eBay is just reflecting this and only showing the better service that is available for the same cost as regular.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

When shipping within Canada, the small business card discount is to provide Expedited shipping for the cost of regular parcel, so I supect that eBay is just reflecting this and only showing the better service that is available for the same cost as regular.

I'm wondering if many Canadian sellers include regular parcel as their default because of the extra delivery time similar how ca sellers listing on dot com used the extended service window for letters vs upping their handling time.  Then ship using expedited.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

I have regular parcel set up in my listings also (since it had been this way for years and I use sell similar so it copies over) and yes it has been removed as an option for last little while, but the Expedited that it defaults to is lower than even the regular rate right now with deal eBay has going. I just printed a label and the defaulted Expedited rate is a few dollars less than I know regular parcel would have been. It has the added insurance (up to $100) that regular parcel doesn't, so right now, while it's cheaper anyways, I've been taking advantage of it.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

I have regular parcel set up in my listings also (since it had been this way for years and I use sell similar so it copies over) and yes it has been removed as an option for last little while, but the Expedited that it defaults to is lower than even the regular rate right now with deal eBay has going. I just printed a label and the defaulted Expedited rate is a few dollars less than I know regular parcel would have been. It has the added insurance (up to $100) that regular parcel doesn't, so right now, while it's cheaper anyways, I've been taking advantage of it.

@msau4301 

I, just of habit from the get go included both. Most buyers if they see the 2 services "normally" choose the quicker one if it is the same price. Because most of eBay's whimsical transit times are there sellers have had to either up their handling or choose the slower method for built in protection. If you check the small packet air to USA on CP they don't even give a transit time. Similar how surface was for international mail.

I just confirmed using the eBay sellers discounted calculator and it shows 19 % discount for both services with same rates. So IF regular still showed up with eBay Labels it should give the same amount. According to the discount levels at CP level 4 for domestic claims up to 39% for expedited.

https://www.ebay.ca/shp/Calculator

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business/shipping-discounts.page

-Lotz

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Yes, the UK has barcode stamps which will be obligatory soon and you will have to trade in your discount stamps for face value and apply barcoded stamps.

You can still ship small items up 25mm thick, yes, yes 5 more than Canada, lol

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

I expect many do.  Rather have the buyer surprised that something got their quicker than anticipated.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply