OMG a buyer is asking about where his CD is and it has only been 4 working days Vancouver to ONT.

I was contacted by a buyer today who purchased something from me on Feb 7, it was sent on Feb 8.  Vancouver to Ontario oversize letter mail.   It was listed on .com using economy shipping.  There is no specific date to be received by the buyer on the order.  The buyer stated where is his CD as ebay said he would receive it on the 14th.  

I responded to the buyer that I was sorry he had not received it but it was sent oversize letter mail which in my experience takes 10 days from Vancouver to Ontario as it goes by truck.  I asked him to send him me a screen shot as that was totally wrong and he responded something like this.  

Don't ask me to send shots of any kind.   The truth is in front of you on Ebay.   If you don't know how Ebay works that's not my problem.  If I don't receive the order by tomorrow Feb 15 I will escalate an ITEM NOT RECEIVED claim.

What do I do now?  

Message 1 of 78
latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

OMG a buyer is asking about where his CD is and it has only been 4 working days Vancouver to ONT.

Doesn't sound like a nice person.

It seems that if there is no estimate given for a country..such as no estimate given to Canadians for listings on .com, the buyer can open a claim in 7 days. But I don't know where he would be seeing a date of Feb. 14th...perhaps he already tried to open a claim and he was told that he couldn't open one until after that date.

I think that you have 3 business days to refund or show the item was delivered so if he opens a claim tomorrow, you still have a couple of days and hopefully the item is delivered before that. But of course he might not let you know if it is delivered...

I don't know what I would do, but I would probably think about it overnight before doing or saying anything else.

Message 2 of 78
latest reply

Was this just an email or an actual INR claim?

eBay does not allow INR claims to be opened early.

Sounds like a fraud artist trying to get you to panic and refund early.

Put him on your blocked buyer list.

Message 3 of 78
latest reply

It was just an email.  Also the buyer sells CD's and this is what he has for shipping of his, economy shipping.   3 to 17 days to North Van.

north york.jpg

Message 4 of 78
latest reply

This is what I would like to respond to him:

Hi, I am so sorry that the CD has not arrived yet.  I am attaching a scan of the bill showing that I purchased postage to your postal code on Feb 8/18.  It doesn’t leave the post office until late that afternoon.  It goes by truck.  It takes 4 working days for a CD to be delivered within BC. It takes 10 days to reach Ontario which I calculate the week of the 18th.   It has only been 4 working days counting from 9th.  

I looked at some of your listings and checked item # ______ to see what the delivery time would be for that CD sent from ONT to me and the estimated time was 3 to 17 business days, which is about right. 

I don’t know if you are trying to scam me or what?

Message 5 of 78
latest reply

First rule of responding.

Never send what you would like to send. (see my other thread(s) about the value of having pre written form letters for situations like this).

Please don't send anything like: "I don’t know if you are trying to scam me or what?" this is just asking for a fight, and you are going to lose in any kind of "fight" situation in ebayland.

I do not suggest referencing what they have for sale, this also can come across as attacking them.

You goal is to try to put them at ease as much as you can. Anything else just escalates things and you'll lose in those situations.

Here is a form letter I use for Canadians:

For Canadians

I understand your frustration awaiting the parcel's arrival, it is frustrating to us both, especially since I can get letters like this to Sweden faster than just about anywhere in our own country! You will receive a full refund (or replacement) if your package does not arrive, so you do not need to worry. If it gets to the point that you think it has been long enough, please just send me another message and I will refund your money out of my own funds (or send a replacement if you prefer instead). Assuming the original parcel does arrive after that, let me know and I will send another invoice so you can pay again (small parcels like this are not insured so I am out 100% if they do not arrive) or return the original one. 99% of the time parcels just take longer than they should to arrive. I would appreciate it if you can wait another week or two before we decide the package is lost and I refund your money (or send replacement) but I will be ok whenever you decide. Regards, RICARMIC

Use what you like......

(They've already said they'll escalate tomorrow so you may want to provide an alternate version advising that is ok and then use the rest of the form letter above to hopefully convince them via their conscience to pay you pack when it does arrive later)

Message 6 of 78
latest reply

Don't send it. Most times a vent is best kept at home and not shared with the buyer.

Just keep things professional on your end for any communications with this buyer.

I would keep it simple. Something simple like:

You purchased February xx

It was mailed February xx

I expect it to arrive February xx

If it has not arrived by February xx let me know and I issue give you a refund.

Side note: My expectation for Cambridge, ON to Vancouver, BC is 5 to 7 business days for oversize lettermail.

-..-

Message 7 of 78
latest reply

Does oversize letter mail have tracking?

Like what some have suggested...wait a bit and think if through...I would definitely not include the last sentence...lol...and your overall response seems like you're trying to challenge the buyer...at this point...probably don't want to do that...

Sorry that this reply may not be of much help...

But I just wanted to let you know, I'm from Ontario, and I randomly clicked on some CDs from your listings and each of the ones I've clicked on, shows economy shipping with an estimated delivery date of 4 to 18 days. 18 days! I'm not sure if it is possible yet for the buyer to escalate a claim when it's still within the estimated time frame. To test it out, I tried filing an "item not received" claim (with a recent purchase) before the estimated delivery date (Feb 19) is due and it tells me to wait til at least after the 19th.

I also went onto ebayCOM and searched for random CDs of yours...if I were to make a purchase now, I'd get an estimated delivery date to at least March 12 (3 to 17 business days)...I've been given a time frame. I don't believe eBay has given the buyer such a specific day compared to what I've been given (a time frame). I could be wrong...eBay can get glitchy at important times...lol...but what are the chances here...

Definitely go for a professional response like what ricarmic has posted...or a simple sample of what ypdc_dennis has suggested...

Good luck!
Message 8 of 78
latest reply

Hi everyone, I did go with ricarmic's response.  I got a response from the buyer who said that the purchase was made on Feb 7 and Ebay gave me until Feb 14 for the order to arrive to the buyer that included my handling time of 3 days.   He said that it is binding to ebay policy. 

I told him that I couldn't see the date as I had listed it with economy shipping on .com.   Item # 192351457308.  I asked him if he could help me figure out why it would show that.

If it really does show that, that concerns me.  I put economy shipping and ebay gives it 5 days (including my 3 day handling) for it to arrive across the country?  

Message 9 of 78
latest reply

I think there’s really not much point in saying anything beyond reiterating what you’ve already said to the buyer. Wait until the case is open and then refund their money. I think you can be assured a case is coming, but wait until it is before giving this person any refund. You want their INR history to be logged on their account.

In the meantime, just keep repeating what you’ve already said. Don’t stray from the script. Maybe change the order of your sentences so it doesn’t looked canned but there’s no sense engaging this person further.
Message 10 of 78
latest reply

Also, what do your Order Details say? That page is often very clear for Estimated Dates of Delivery. Not Sales Record, but Order Details. It will certainly have an EDD in black and white.
Message 11 of 78
latest reply

This person sounds like a jerk. When I look at your item it shows the following when calculated to our Toronto address, so I would be concerned as well if eBay is letting them open up an INR so early!

screenshot1.png

Message 12 of 78
latest reply

Here are the order details.  I also checked the paypal just in case there was anything showing, there wasn't.

no estimate available.jpg

Message 13 of 78
latest reply

You and me both.  It would be just like ebay to show one thing to us and another to the buyer.  What is the point of putting economy shipping when ebay gives such a tight timeline.

He is a CD seller too and uses economy shipping as the method of shipping too.  

I'll keep you posted.  Maybe he is trying to pull a fast one, even if he gets the CD he will state he didn't.  I will ask him to file an INR when the time comes.  

Not one of my best buyers.  I have some of the greatest music lovers that purchase my CD's and am very grateful for them.

Thanks for all your help.  If the mystery gets solved or if I hear back from him, I will let you know.  

Message 14 of 78
latest reply

‘No estimate available’ is frustrating. For sellers and buyers. It should correlate with the number of days shown on the Item Listing Page. It’s illogical that there’s no EDD. This was identified as a problem in the past, wasn’t it? Nothing changed?

Sit tight until the INR case is open.

If this user is also a seller, you might be an unwitting dropship for him and perhaps he is the one taking the heat from his own buyer.

Also, report him using the web form. I’d pick the one where he asks for service he didn’t buy: namely faster, Tracked shipping on an untracked service that he paid for. Those reports amount to a hill of beans but you never know which one may be the tipping point.

Keep us posted, please. We all stand to learn from this rather unpleasant experience you’re having.
Message 15 of 78
latest reply

Hi Mo, thanks.  

I didn't understand this, maybe too late in the day:

Also, report him using the web form. I’d pick the one where he asks for service he didn’t buy: namely faster, Tracked shipping on an untracked service that he paid for. Those reports amount to a hill of beans but you never know which one may be the tipping point.

When would you report him?

Message 16 of 78
latest reply

I’d do it now. Based on his messages and the hostility with which they were delivered. I’m not at my desk but you go to Report a Buyer and then there should be buttons to pick with each their own options some of which allow the seller to elaborate. If you need more detailed instructions, please ask and I’ll do screenshots tomorrow.
Message 17 of 78
latest reply

I'll do it tomorrow as it is late today.  I listed it on .com so I guess I should be reporting it there.  These are my options.

reporting buyer.jpg

Message 18 of 78
latest reply

He is a CD seller too and uses economy shipping as the method of shipping too.  

Gosh. I would never have expected that.

Message 19 of 78
latest reply

This is his, he uses Standard international shipping and I use economy international shipping and he charges more for shipping within Canada.  

uses the same.jpg

Message 20 of 78
latest reply