Packet was sent by Canada Post SURFACE instead of AIRMAIL

Hello everybody,

I recently sold few drawings to buyer from Denmark who was buying drawings from me frequently a couple of years ago.

Then deliveries to his country were amazing - could be just 4 days!

Already for 2 weeks he did not receive my latest shipment - I sent as SMALL PACKET AIRMAIL.

I think we have well established mutual trust and I will refund his money if the packet is not received within reasonable time and then will deal with Canada Post.

My question is: could it be that Canada Post placed my package by error to SURFACE BOX instead of AIRMAIL BOX (altohugh I have attached AIRMAIL stickers) and shipped it by SURFACE?

And the package will arrive considerably later. Is it posiible to prove their error of this kind? Financialy it is not significant difference because the package is light (less than 250 grams), but it may be a principal difference to the buyer (he paid for AIRMAIL delivery, and did not receive it).

And I want to know for possible similar cases with havier parcels.

Thank you for your suggestions and sharing your experience.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Check your receipt... and see how much was charged for this parcel...  and then compared to what it should be for surface vs airmail on Canada Post's site.

Did you have the dark blue airmail stickers on the parcel?

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Yes, the postal receipt and the copy of custom form indicate AIRMAIL and I have placed dark blue stickers on both sides of the package.

I think there could be a human error factor in sorting procedure (may be even starting at my postal outlet?)

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

It sorts by machine based on the postage. More likely it is tied up in Customs at the other end.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

My question is: could it be that Canada Post placed my package by error to SURFACE BOX instead of AIRMAIL BOX (altohugh I have attached AIRMAIL stickers) and shipped it by SURFACE?

Anything is possible but it's extremely unlikely. The reverse does often happen (Surface Small Packet sent by Air) because there is so little Surface mail being sent it will be combined with Air if there is space available.

At this time of year deliveries are always slower than normal. Customs offices everywhere are overloaded.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Canada Post will not even due anything until the delivery standards as per their web site has passed. You did not state that they have. Secondly, go to country's postal service web site and see if any delay alerts like the Hurricane Sandy one is on eBay. Thirdly view the countries custom site. I had one go to Australia last year and their customs was on strike. The cheeky Aussie gave me a negative for their countries customs strike. They also demanded their money for none receipt which eBay gave them. Now foreign mail is checked for these stated problems and I will email buyer. I have found problems with Holland, Denmark Belgium, Italy and Germany for slow delivery.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

Block,

Two weeks plus to reach Denmark by air? That's certainly on the slow side but hardly unheard of. I personally wouldn't sweat it. It'll get there shortly.

I doubt that Recped is correct when he says that surface mail quite often goes by air when there's space available. That used to happen long ago but Canada Post doesn't give out freebies any more - can't afford to.

Tom

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I have heard some strange stories of how Canada Post might deal with small packet airmail.

They accumulate a large number of parcel and then ship by airmail. 

This may or may not not occur.... Perhaps for specific countries where very few parcel may be enroute...

I once did mail small packet surface to Malaysia  and it was there within two weeks...  Paid for surface and got an airmail delivery time.

---------------------------------------------

I do know that his does occur with the Tracked International Surface option.... Over 2 kg weight parcel...

I have had parcels get to Europe within two weeks, when normal delivery is about 6 to 7 weeks for surface delivery

Two weeks is an airmail delivery time... When there is space on the airplane  the surface paid parcel has gone the airmail route...   Nice when it happens but not a regular situation.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Not long ago I had a LETTER shipped to South Africa and it took approx. 7 weeks for arrival. When the letter was mailed, I sent a note to buyer indicating that expected delivery period is 2-3 weeks but different delays like weather, security, strikes may prolong this period.

The buyer added a positive FB for me, and she has marked UNSATISFACTORY for shipping time in DSR.  I do not blame her, and obviously I will never know for what reason(s) it took so long.

I also had few times unexpected fast deliveries to Europe (AIRMAIL instead of SURFACE).

Quite often AIRMAIL deliveries to NY from Toronto are much slower than SURFACE deliveries to CA. I was told they go first to sorting facility in IL, but I am not sure if this is applicable to all parcels or not.

I guess we can never accurately predict anything about shipping.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Last month I sent a package to the UK (Small Packet-Surface).  Was shocked to see it was received in about 8 days.  Conversely,  I mailed a package to Quebec City (from Sask),  which took the same time to arrive.  Go figure...

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Yeh it's possible - I have had it go the other way - 6 day surface mail to Russia - must have been put on a plane by mistake Parcel was 1.4 KG
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

ZOMBIE thread from 2012

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 13 of 13
latest reply