Paypal currency converter - from what planet?

Hello,

I took a breather before attempting to post this. I have noticed that EVERY sale I have ever made has been gouged with an incorrect currency conversion, and it is always in Paypals favour.

The sales I got this month for example, I get dinged a fee for taking a payment - ok, sure, why not. I guess I agreed to that somewhere along the line. Then on top of that fee, paypal, instead of using any conversion calculator known to man, screws me for another large sum of money - money that I should have actually made, not lost. The Canadian dollar has been slightly more than the US dollar for some time now, but Paypal shrugs off any such logic and pretends it is the inverse. How do they get away with this? When I ask them, some robot gives me a cut and paste response that doesn't come close to an answer. Is there any chance of litigation or is this a case of like it or leave?

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Great info thanks

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

That's OK for those that can wait until the currencies are in favour of making the conversion and withdrawal BUT best advice just "suck it up". It's the cost of doing business. Paypal is not our friend. Just a necessary evil. Oh for the days when we could claim our goods as our own goods, our method of payment accepted as our method of payment, when things were easier to find, the dollar in our favour, and the wind at our backs, no matter which way we faced. Now the sellers seem to outnumber the buyers, the crooks increase in number, the scammers get more crafty and ebay and paypal just keep increasing the fees and taking ownership of our stuff. Seems we have to accept that 30 percent of everything we sell plus the cost of "our" merchandise belongs to them, listing fees, final value fees, heaven forbid "special features", paypal fees, exchange rate fees, bank fees, oh what a world...I'm melting....

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

my beef with Paypal is that they will not let me withdraw from my Paypal account to my US dollar account here in my Canadian bank, thus removing the currency gouge.    I gave up and all my listings are in Canadian dollars now.

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

cpyue
Community Member

I agreed Paypal is gouging. I purchased several items from ebay in US$. Convert to C$ is lower in price. But after paid through Paypal, it ended it far higher than US$.

Though I have US$ bank account in Canada soil, but Paypal just don't refused to take that. They just want to make extra money from Canadian buyers.

I am slowly switching to Amazon.ca to do my purchasing. Amazon.ca just charge C$. I save at the end.

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

My own kids...those traitors...they even use amazon...lol
Message 25 of 30
latest reply

Hi again.. all is well. ..just have to learn to play the game...timing...using lots...when to holdm when to foldm...
Message 26 of 30
latest reply

I shot 3 videos and sent them to Paypal that show a problem with the  'use my credit card to do the exchange'.  even when selected, Paypal still does the currency conversion (and take the 2.5%)

Am I the only one this happens too?

Let me recap-

When I try to buy somethign in USD$ I select on the paypal web page the 'use my credit cards exchange rate' (as my Credit card does not charge 2.5%) and then select continue. I am incorrectly charged in AUD$ with paypal doing the exchange, even know I selected not to do this.

This is reflected on the paypal statement and shows AUD$ I write to paypal about the problem. Paypal responds and says the system shows I selected 'use paypal to do the exchange' I ring paypal and while on the phone, I try again and the same things happens - there is a bug in the system and even know I select 'use my Credit card' it doesn't work. I tell the operator this. I video the problem and post to youtube and send paypal the video.

The Paypal statement that first showed the transaction in AUD$ is now changed to show the charge in USD$. Of cause this does not change the fact that I have already been charged in AUD$ (using Paypals exchange rate) and my credit card shows the AUD$ amount. Changing what the Paypal statements shows doesn't change what I was charged as it has already happened. I can't understand why this would be done as now the paypal statement shows an incorrect and false amount.

Chris from Paypal writes to me saying, there was a problem with selecting who does the exchange but that the issue is long been resolved. I try the transaction again and the same thing happens - when you select 'use my Credit card' it doesn't work - I select again 'use my Credit card for exchange, and it doesn't work and gives me no other option. If I was to press continue I would be charged in AUD$ with paypal doing the exchange.

I video this for the third time using a different browser and post to youtube and send paypal the video.

Sherlyn responds - we can't watch a video on youtube ( a site that is owned by the same company), and nothing more.

What a cracking bit of customer service.

Am I along with this problem or is this a big scam??

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

Zombie thread from 2012.

Try starting your own thread.

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

You are in Australia.

We are in Canada where the rules may be different.

I suggest you post on the Australian board.

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

Hey everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 30 of 30
latest reply