Paypal fees to increase for cross border to the US .

• US cross-border fees

We have made changes to Section 8.4(b) of the UA and Section 2(e) of the Pro/VT Agreement to update the fees that apply to Canadian Sellers selling to buyers located in the United States. These fee changes will become effective on April 13, 2016. If you are a consumer, these changes will be implemented on March 14, 2016 and will also become effective on April 13, 2016.
  1. (b) US Purchase Payments (effective as of April 13, 2016).

Activity

Purchase Payment Fee

Sending (buying)

Free*

Receiving (selling)

Standard rate:

3.7% + Fixed Fee***

Merchant rates**:

Monthly Sales Volume 

$0.01 - $3,000.00 
    $3,000.01 - $12,000.00 
    $12,000.01 - $125,000.00 
    Over $125,000.00

Fee 

3.7% + Fixed Fee*** 
    3.3% + Fixed Fee*** 
    3.0% + Fixed Fee*** 
    2.7% + Fixed Fee***

Charity rate****

1.6% + Fixed Fee***

* Your financial institution may charge fees directly to the card you use to fund a cross-border payment even where no currency conversion is involved. 
    ** To qualify for our Merchant rates you must submit a one-time application, have qualifying monthly sales volume, and have an Account in good standing. 

Message 1 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

Re: Paypal fees to increase for cross border to the US .

I wonder.... what are the fees for a seller from Australia or United Kingdom for example... do they have the same rate worldwide too?

Message 41 of 77
latest reply

Take a look at the PayPal site for each country.

When checking Australia for example, I saw:

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

You will find that PayPal charges 3.5% to convert to/from Cdn$ or US$ (compared to 2.5% here) and 4.0% for other currencies.

Keep reading....

Then go to:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/cfsgpds-full?country.x=AU#18_Fees_and_charges

In addition to the fees below, a currency conversion may apply if sending a foreign currency.

Recipient country

PayPal balance or bank account

Entirely or partially funded by Credit Card

Brazil

1%

5.99% + fixed fee

Canada

1%

3.9% + fixed fee

China

0.5%

3.9% + fixed fee

Hong Kong

0.5%

3.9% + fixed fee

Singapore

0.5%

3.9% + fixed fee

Taiwan

0.5%

3.9% + fixed fee

US

1%

3.9% + fixed fee

Germany

3.3%

5.2% + fixed fee

Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, France

1.8%

5.2% + fixed fee

Poland

2%

4.9% + fixed fee

Other European countries*

1.5%

4.9% + fixed fee

All other countries

0.5%

3.9% + fixed fee

Message 42 of 77
latest reply

Then you have the receiving fees:

Receiving (selling) fees

You may apply for merchant rates when you meet a qualifying calendar monthly sales volume and keep your account in good standing. See Merchant Rates for more information.

Rate type

Monthly sales volume

Domestic Transactions*^

Cross-border Transactions*

Website Payments Pro – Hosted Solution and API - Domestic Transactions^

Website Payments Pro – Hosted Solution or API – Cross-border Transactions

Virtual Terminal – Domestic Transactions^

Virtual Terminal – Cross-border Transactions

Standard rate

-

2.6% + fixed fee

3.6% + fixed fee

2.6% + fixed fee

3.6% + fixed fee

3.6% + fixed fee

4.6% + fixed fee

Merchant rates

$2,500.01 - $5,000.00

2.2% + fixed fee

3.2% + fixed fee

2.2% + fixed fee

3.2% + fixed fee

3.2% + fixed fee

4.2% + fixed fee

$5,000.01 - $15,000

2.0% + fixed fee

3.0% + fixed fee

2.0% + fixed fee

3.0% + fixed fee

3.0% + fixed fee

4.0% + fixed fee

$15,000.01 - $150,000

1.5% + fixed fee

2.5% + fixed fee

1.5% + fixed fee

2.5% + fixed fee

2.5% + fixed fee

3.5% + fixed fee

$150,000.01 and over

1.1% + fixed fee

2.1% + fixed fee

1.5% + fixed fee

2.5% + fixed fee

2.5% + fixed fee

Message 43 of 77
latest reply

Paypal is becoming more expensive when compared to point of sale card processing apps that are now available in Canada (but are banned on ebay).  Square, for example, charges 3.4% + .15 per transaction on all keyed in card charges.  This applies to both domestic and most US cards - they don't see fit to hose Canadians on cross-border transactions in the 21st century intertwined financial order.

Another pet peeve of mine is that they don't allow me to deposit my US dollar  Paypal money into my US dollar account here in Canada.,

Message 44 of 77
latest reply

"they don't allow ..."

Who is "they"?

Blame the US Treasury and US Congress.   Their currency... their rules.

Message 45 of 77
latest reply

@nrg_svr wrote:

My e-mail from Paypal noted the following, which has me a bit confused:

".... UA and the Pro/VT Agreement to update the fees that apply to Canadian sellers selling to buyers located in the United States. These fee changes will go into effect on April 13, 2016, but do not apply to you..."

They bolded the NOT....

So come April 13, I guess I get to keep whatever old rate is effective?

Who knows.

Waiting for the correction e-mail to come.

So bottom line, for non-discounted transactions.... it looks like the rate goes from 2.9% to 3.7%

That's a 28% increase in the fee, and a HUGE profit grab for Paypal.

Reviving this question.......These fee changes will go into effect on April 13, 2016, but do not apply to you (bold done by PayPal).

I've now received this notice on all my PayPal accounts. One of them is my main PP account for eBay sales, in it the "but do not apply to you" part is included. In the others which are essentially buying accounts that wording is NOT included.

Has anyone gotten any clarification on this? On the surface it makes it sound like some users will get hit with the cross border fee on US sales and some won't. Besides the fact that it's my main selling account the one with the "not" is an old account originally set up in the USA and transferred into a Canadian account when PayPal Canada was established, it's also the only account of mine with a bank account attached and it's a US based bank account..

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 46 of 77
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:
  • US cross-border fees

We have made changes to Section 8.4(b) of the UA and Section 2(e) of the Pro/VT Agreement to update the fees that apply to Canadian Sellers selling to buyers located in the United States. These fee changes will become effective on April 13, 2016. If you are a consumer, these changes will be implemented on March 14, 2016 and will also become effective on April 13, 2016.
  1. (b) US Purchase Payments (effective as of April 13, 2016).

Activity

Purchase Payment Fee

Sending (buying)

Free*

Receiving (selling)

Standard rate:

3.7% + Fixed Fee***

Merchant rates**:

Monthly Sales Volume 

$0.01 - $3,000.00 
    $3,000.01 - $12,000.00 
    $12,000.01 - $125,000.00 
    Over $125,000.00

Fee 

3.7% + Fixed Fee*** 
    3.3% + Fixed Fee*** 
    3.0% + Fixed Fee*** 
    2.7% + Fixed Fee***

Charity rate****

1.6% + Fixed Fee***

* Your financial institution may charge fees directly to the card you use to fund a cross-border payment even where no currency conversion is involved. 
    ** To qualify for our Merchant rates you must submit a one-time application, have qualifying monthly sales volume, and have an Account in good standing. 

Just a reminder about this increase to PayPal rates for USA sales from 2.9% to 3.7% on April 13.

I am confused as to the meaning of March 14 date above.

Message 47 of 77
latest reply

I guess the stuff I list on .com I will have payments go to my US based Paypal account and keep the old rate, move it to my US bank account, and withdraw cash when I go to the US.

Paypal gets less that way as well!

Message 48 of 77
latest reply

"my US based Paypal account"

Do you mean you have two different PayPal accounts with two different email addresses, and two different mailing addresses one in Canada and one in the USA?

For years I maintained a bank account in the USA where my PayPal balance in US$ would be transferred and a Cdn$ balance for money transferred to Canada.

However, that was in ONE account, using seven different email addresses and two banks (one in Canada, one in the USA).

Message 49 of 77
latest reply

Pierre

I have a US based address (actually 2), a US based Ebay account, a US based bank account and a US based Paypal account. I fill out W8ben forms every so often and every one is happy

I also have the same in Canada for Canadian use.

The 2 are totally separate

Message 50 of 77
latest reply

So your 700+ listings under dutchman48 are they linked to your PayPal account with a Canadian or US address?

Message 51 of 77
latest reply

Right now to my Canadian, but I will be changing my Paypal to my US based to save cross border fees from US buyers for what is listed on .com.

Eventually I will move the .com listings to my US Ebay and open a .com store under my US ID. I won't get the 20% FVF discount on the US account but still save 4% on FVF's due to the categories I sell in. That way, I will be able to get some of the specials on .com.

It is very easy to move my .com listings to my US account using Turbo Lister as I also have 2 TL accounts, one on each computer.

Export files from 1 TL and import to the 2nd TL. Since everything is in US dollars and on .com, works like a charm

Message 52 of 77
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Right now to my Canadian, but I will be changing my Paypal to my US based to save cross border fees from US buyers for what is listed on .com.

Eventually I will move the .com listings to my US Ebay and open a .com store under my US ID. I won't get the 20% FVF discount on the US account but still save 4% on FVF's due to the categories I sell in. That way, I will be able to get some of the specials on .com.

It is very easy to move my .com listings to my US account using Turbo Lister as I also have 2 TL accounts, one on each computer.

Export files from 1 TL and import to the 2nd TL. Since everything is in US dollars and on .com, works like a charm

Did you read the reply raphael made about Turbo Lister in the weekly session?

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/April-6th-2016-Weekly-Session/m-p/333594

Turbo Lister isn't maintained anymore but is still available to use and as Rodney said, is built to work via the eBay API, which means that the program itself doesn't need to get updated in order to keep up with changes we make to the selling flows. I don't know of any plans to retire it as I write this, but I would guess that it would be the next thing that happens to it.

Message 53 of 77
latest reply

Yes, I have read that and will see what happens. I did use Auctiva at one time but their picture limitations in this day and age are ridiculous.

I have also used inkFrog but they have their own issues as to how they work.

Since Ebay has formed a relationship with inkFrog, I am wondering if they will buy them and dump TL, as they can be used to list on Ebay from various websites.

Only time will tell what may or may not happen and if it does, not much I can do. Hopefully I will have everything on my websites so won't lose any of the listing info.

Message 54 of 77
latest reply

I did use Auctiva at one time but their picture limitations in this day and age are ridiculous.

What restrictions are you referring to?

Message 55 of 77
latest reply

I did not say restriction, but limitation of image hosting space per tier and then so much more after your limit.

If I remember, the first tier is $10 for 1 gb and with Ebay requirements, that is not a great deal if you list a lot. I have many images that are 120 kb or more.

Here is the link to the Auctiva Plans

http://www.auctiva.com/about/AuctivaPricing.aspx

Message 56 of 77
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

I did not say restriction, but limitation of image hosting space per tier and then so much more after your limit.

If I remember, the first tier is $10 for 1 gb and with Ebay requirements, that is not a great deal if you list a lot. I have many images that are 120 kb or more.

Here is the link to the Auctiva Plans

http://www.auctiva.com/about/AuctivaPricing.aspx

I don’t see 1 GB storage for image hosting as limiting, for the average seller.

1 GB = 1,048,576 KB

This means you would have enough space to store 8,738 images of 120 KB each. Most of the items that I have checked in your current listings have 2 pictures per item. So, you could store well over 4000 listings and be under your 1 GB limit.

Currently, I have 3784 images stored on Auctiva. And, I have used 394.34 MB of my 1 GB, or, 38.43% of my allowable space.

I am on an older grandfathered plan on Auctiva that allows me unlimited listings, with my 1 GB storage.

For any seller new to Auctiva, who plans to list more than 110 items per month, would be using, at minimum, their Elite Plan ($14.95) per month. This plan comes with 1.5 GB of image hosting and unlimited listings.

I think my math is correct here; but the older I get .....

Message 57 of 77
latest reply

Right now I have stored over 15 GB of images. Some of which are close to 1 meg.

Below is an example

Message 58 of 77
latest reply

Your photo is HUGE! (Sorry. I just had to)

It took 10 whole seconds to load on my computer...

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 59 of 77
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Right now I have stored over 15 GB of images. Some of which are close to 1 meg.

Below is an example

No doubt, this is a "HUGE" image.

I used the 120 KB reference above, as that was what you had used in your example.

But, why would you need your image hosting service to store an image this large. I would and do store all of my images as tiffs on my hard drive, then convert them to smaller jpegs and then send them to Auctiva.

If you were to send your original image to Auctiva (I have just done this); it is saved in an eBay usable size (using the maximum allowable limits of 1920 x 1440 px) as a 259.72 KB image. 

So, essentially you are storing 75% unusable information, when you are storing this particular image, for use on eBay. 

Storing a full size image is always recommended. But, you don't need to store it on an image hosting service.  

Message 60 of 77
latest reply