Problems with mail to US crossing the borders?

I am wondering if there is a problem with mail getting through the borders to the US with the blockades. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I had been worrying about this also but so far so good from what I've seen personally. I had about 8 items going to US over the past week, some of them got there quicker than I've ever seen (knock on wood). My last one I took to post office Thursday and it was processed in Chicago yesterday. So fingers crossed. The other 7 all made it to their destinations within a week! (Though I may be in an alternate reality?!)

From what I've heard there has been more delays for trucks coming from the US than going there however, so for that I can't address it. Fingers crossed! (I'm in Ontario by the way!)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I had been worrying about this also but so far so good from what I've seen personally. I had about 8 items going to US over the past week, some of them got there quicker than I've ever seen (knock on wood). My last one I took to post office Thursday and it was processed in Chicago yesterday. So fingers crossed. The other 7 all made it to their destinations within a week! (Though I may be in an alternate reality?!)

From what I've heard there has been more delays for trucks coming from the US than going there however, so for that I can't address it. Fingers crossed! (I'm in Ontario by the way!)

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thanks, I'm in Ontario also. Not that I am actually selling much as I had to vacation my store because of surgery, but I was a bit concerned as almost all my sales are to the US. Nothing on Canada Post website.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Hope you will recover soon!

I hadn't seen anything from the post office either but I think there may be a lot that goes by air - I usually use Tracked Package USA, though sometimes Small Package Air.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Mine are usually letter mail, lower price craft books and patterns, no-one wants to pay package rate.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

No personal experience as my stuff crosses at Niagara Falls and it so far unaffected by the "action" in Windsor.

Here are a few factors that comes to mind that may not lead to much in the way of delay for Canada Post stuff that is heading to Chicago (I presume this is anything going to the west of the Mississippi).

- The Ambassador bridge is not the only crossing, there is also the Bluewater at Sarnia, it's a detour but not that bad unless your goods (auto industry) are heading for Detroit. I see reports of lengthy delays at Bluewater but that is because the Ambassador traffic is being diverted there.

- I have not heard of any rail disruptions, Canada Post could switch to rail transport if they are nimble enough

- I don't see the Amabassador being blocked much longer although there could be similar "convoys" on the US side

- Ambassador is a critical connection but mostly because of the goods that are coming from / going to locations very near the bridge

- Detours, diversion,  delays all add extra costs for truck transport but the cost of shipping is already almost double what it was a year ago. I follow the Produce Industry, read recently that in recent years it cost about US$12,000 to ship a trailerload of California strawberries to the east coast. this year it's going to cost upwards of $20,000 for the same trailer. (fortunately it's looking like a bumper berry crop this year in CA so maybe the prices will still be reasonable).

Sorry to get diverted to fruit  and veg, other than eating the stuff I have no other interest but I like to observe the sector, it's an extremely complex supply chain!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@recped wrote:

No personal experience as my stuff crosses at Niagara Falls and it so far unaffected by the "action" in Windsor.

Here are a few factors that comes to mind that may not lead to much in the way of delay for Canada Post stuff that is heading to Chicago (I presume this is anything going to the west of the Mississippi).

- The Ambassador bridge is not the only crossing, there is also the Bluewater at Sarnia, it's a detour but not that bad unless your goods (auto industry) are heading for Detroit. I see reports of lengthy delays at Bluewater but that is because the Ambassador traffic is being diverted there.

- I have not heard of any rail disruptions, Canada Post could switch to rail transport if they are nimble enough

- I don't see the Amabassador being blocked much longer although there could be similar "convoys" on the US side

- Ambassador is a critical connection but mostly because of the goods that are coming from / going to locations very near the bridge

- Detours, diversion,  delays all add extra costs for truck transport but the cost of shipping is already almost double what it was a year ago. I follow the Produce Industry, read recently that in recent years it cost about US$12,000 to ship a trailerload of California strawberries to the east coast. this year it's going to cost upwards of $20,000 for the same trailer. (fortunately it's looking like a bumper berry crop this year in CA so maybe the prices will still be reasonable).

Sorry to get diverted to fruit  and veg, other than eating the stuff I have no other interest but I like to observe the sector, it's an extremely complex supply chain!

@triber 

In the bigger picture, especially since sellers have limited control over these kinds of situations, are the cases where INR's/lates are being applied and customers are being refunded. Becomes a case of the bots running amok with no one awake at the wheel. The goods will arrive....eventually. Meantime it is extremely difficult for sellers to request re-payment.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

It looks as if things are getting cleared. I just thought Canada Post would have put a message out, but maybe they don't think there is a problem-Hopefully!!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply