Product-based vs. vintage items

"Over the next few years, we'll expand the eBay catalogue in phases to eventually cover all products. You'll still be able to add any items that are not represented in the catalogue—such as unique, handmade, or vintage items."

That should be interesting.  Everything I sell is unique. Even if I were to list, say, a book from 1955, with copies from other sellers out there, not all books with that title are equivalent - there's the factor of condition, whether it's signed or not, not to mention comparison with print-on-demand copies and other reprints. I won't even get into ephemera.

It sounds like I'd have to make a new catalogue entry for every item, and wait for it to be reviewed by someone who has zippo experience in my areas.

My guess is that the vintage sellers might be heading for the exit doors en masse.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Product-based vs. vintage items

My guess is that the vintage sellers might be heading for the exit doors en masse.

Highly doubtful... I sell unique items, some are one of kind in the Movie Memoriliblia categories. 

Those categories as well as other applicable categories will be immune to the product catalog.

The categories I sell in have a strong presence on eBay and I highly doubt that their going to disappear anytime soon or in the future. 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Product-based vs. vintage items

For books it may come down to ISBNs.

There were none before 1970(?) and few before 1980.

EBay does have a book catalogue, but it seems to have taken its lead from the mega-sellers whose items are very sloppily described- and who don't acknowledge most non-US ISBNs at all.

Very annoying for those of us selling vintage printings from the UK, Australia and Canada.

It's possible to do it well-- Addall is pretty good at identifying editions (except for the Amazon listings).

Message 3 of 3
latest reply