Questions about sell your item form

cbsalesnb
Community Member

Greetings,

I have 2 selling accounts. One was created several years ago, and one only a few months ago. I have noticed some behaviour differences between the two when using the sell your item form.

On the older account:

-It remembers my last settings for "Return Policy" and "You ship to Canada, and the following Countries" from my last listing
-It remembers the number in the "Quantity" field from my last listing

On the new account:

-It does NOT remember my Return Policy, or the country settings from my last listing. (So I have to fill it out every time)

-It remembers the number in the "Quantity" field from my last listing

The quantity field is an annoyance to me. 99.9% of my listings have 1 item, so I skip by it all the time. Then all of a sudden I have 2 of an item, and I end up listing 5 more items with 2 in the quantity field and have to go back and fix them. (Yes, my own numbskull move, but it drives me nuts) I doubt anything can be done to change this.

For the other items though, is there some place I can enter a default Return Policy so I don't have to fill it out each time?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The way the Sell Your Item form "remembers" things is annoying. I have found there is not much control on this.

The Sell Your Item form has a very interesting feature that few sellers seem to know about. It has the ability to save 10 templates.  In a saved template you can pre-fill in all fields in a listings and use it to start a new listing. The template is not altered but just used to start a new listing.

Now to get at the 10 saved templates is a bit tricky.  It only appears on the Sell page (top right) when you have at least one saved template.

Try this link to see if you can get to the saved template "Manage Templates" menu without having at least one saved template.

http://cgi5.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ManageTemplate

Then create a new template with minimal details for a test, go to the second page and save as a template and do not submit it as a listing.

Then go to the Sell link at the top right of an eBay page and click on Sell. Then you should have access to the Sell with a template feature as well as manage template.

Click on the manage templates and finish you temporary master template and fill in all the fields.  In the description, you can have type in the basic info that never changes (any sales terms, etc) and leave a couple of blanks lines at the top for the description details.

Save this as a template (do not submit as a listing).

Then click on the Sell link again and use Start Selling link with the name of the saved template on the left. This will start a new listing prefilled out with your master saved template. Filled out details specific to your item being listed. On the second page, remember not to save as a template or it will overwrite you saved template with the details for this item. Just submit the listing.

Now some old time sellers will say to just use Sell Similar from an existing listing. The problem with that is you can end up with bad HTML in the description because anything you leave in there from a previous listings can be edited poorly by the eBay editor leaving poor HTML.

If you create your master template carefully with clean HTML, then your listings made from that template will be clean and carry forward HTML editing errors.

It is important to understand the difference between a listing and a saved template. You can only edit a saved template from the Manage templates menus. Try to understand this difference.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

If the link I gave above does not work, then create a new listing using the Sell form and schedule it in the future a few days.  On the second page before you submit the listing, there is a link asking if you want to save the listing as a template. DO this to get the one listing that you need to have the Sell page show the Sell with a Template option.

Let me know if the link above works without one saved template. I am curious about this.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

PS I said schedule in the future above so that the listing does not go live. Using the method above, you have to submit the listing even if you only want to save as a template.

Then you can go back to My eBay scheduled listings and delete the test template.

I hope I am not confusing you.  If my link in the first post works, ignore my posts after.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply