Re-selling blacklisted phone?

Alright guys I've started buying used and broken phones locally and re-selling on ebay with good success so far. I have ads on FB so some guy messaged me this morning asking if I was interested in an S8. The problem? The phone is blacklisted due to an unpaid bill. Naturally I search how much blacklisted S8's are going for on ebay and they range between $300-500 CND. He was asking $200 for it so it immediately got my attention. My question is, IF this phone checks out and is actually blacklisted due to an unpaid bill and not being lost or stolen, is it legal to resell on ebay even though I'm not the original owner?
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Re-selling blacklisted phone?

The phone is blacklisted due to an unpaid bill.

So they guy offering you the phone isn't willing or able to pay the bill on his phone.

If he won't treat his bills honestly, by paying them or by arranging a return for credit, what makes you think he will treat you any better?

Lay down with dogs, get up with fleas.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Would that be like a lien on a car?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

That's the thing, I just don't know if say anyone can take ownership of the phone and sell it.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Best to avoid them.

Pretty sure the debt is secured against the phone -- so fair game for the "Repo Man".

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

I don't see why it would be a problem if the seller states clearly that the phone is blacklisted and only for parts.

Personally, I would avoid trying to sell anything that may come back to haunt me.

A lot of people are impulsive or don't bother to read the entirety of  listing descriptions, which leaves you open to screams of getting stiffed with a blacklisted device.

The International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) 15 digit number is a unique identification or serial number that all mobile phones and smartphones have.
The IMEI number can be found by entering *#06# on your phone’s call screen, sometimes in your phone’s settings, on the back of your phone or tablet, under the battery pack, or on the box your phone came in.
*#06# worked on my Samsung phone.

Based on this number, you can check some information about the device.

IMO, except for the unaffected parts, blacklisted phones are useless, and not worth the grief trying to rectify.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Yes I checked the IMEI number and it said blacklisted but I haven't found a website that tells you why it's blacklisted. I would be reselling as a parts phone which at the moment, apparently S8's are worth a lot even when blacklisted.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

The phone is blacklisted due to an unpaid bill.

So they guy offering you the phone isn't willing or able to pay the bill on his phone.

If he won't treat his bills honestly, by paying them or by arranging a return for credit, what makes you think he will treat you any better?

Lay down with dogs, get up with fleas.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply