Rumor department: eBay.ca September sale event

The Canada Post uncertainty made it a tough summer for many sellers. But with that behind us, it's time to start listing the great inventory buyers are looking for.

To highlight your great Canadian inventory, eBay will launch a "Buy Canadian" event on September 19th.

Source: email from eBay Canada

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Rumor department: eBay.ca September sale event

Very interesting.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

I got an email about this also but not much in it so have no idea what the plan is. Will be interesting to see what they do.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

I'd love to be invited as a participant. Assuming the plan is to showcase products located in Canada for CAD, some items are bound to be featured. I wonder what criteria they use to choose who's featured.
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
I'd love to be invited as a participant. Assuming the plan is to showcase products located in Canada for CAD, some items are bound to be featured. I wonder what criteria they use to choose who's featured.

I posted all the info that was available in the email, so no real idea what ebay has planned, which is why I put this in the rumor department. Could be nice, could be so-so, could be blah...

We'll see what next week brings.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Or we could harass Raphael mercilessly at Board Hour on Wednesday for details. Heh heh heh.
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

odds are it will be useless to most of us..

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y16/m09/i14/s02

I see someone has been reading this thread and creating an article out of thin air ...

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Thin air is the air which is most exhilarating.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Bet they will have a $10-15 coupon on the front page again  Too bad they have blocked using them for gift cards now

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Ahem, a poem by
Emily Dickinson ~

I’m Nobody! Who are you?

Are you – Nobody – too?

Then there’s a pair of us!

Don’t tell! they’d advertise – you know!
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

I bet toby**bleep**zu is right. This was Raphael's response today: "All Canadian sellers will be included in this, whether they list on eBay.com or on eBay.ca. The only criteria is that the items be located in Canada."
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

did you got an email? I didnt
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

No, I didn't. But I don't use my eBay.ca to buy, only sell. And I have my settings on: don't bother me with emails. 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

Bet they will have a $10-15 coupon on the front page again  Too bad they have blocked using them for gift cards now

I'm not sure what you are referring to.  Do you mean that if eBay issues a coupon they won't let you purchase a retail gift card from another seller with it?  

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Yes.  There is the one huge gift card seller in Canada, with gift cards priced perfectly for the coupon.  Using the coupon for gift cards was heavily discussed on other sites, as well as the fact that "one per person" was only limited by how many paypal accounts one signed up for.  So everytime they had a coupon, that seller sold huge numbers of gift cards(hundreds per hour of single gcs), and people who were doing that had no reason to browse ebay when they could get a gas card etc as good as cash

So the past couple of times ebay has had a coupon they added gift cards to the restrictions, which hadn't been there before

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Sounds fair to me, the prohibiting, that is.
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for the explanation.  My husband has bought a few gift cards, probably from that same seller so I will have to mention that to him.  He has actually picked up a few good deals from them and we have been eating a lot more take out lately because of it. Lol

Message 19 of 19
latest reply