Russian email address

I have a package to mail on Tuesday to Toronto, so I can use the free shipping option (if it is working). I know that Snap ship wants lots of details including the email address, but when I checked on the buyer address, it was from Russian. Could that be a problem?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Russian email address

email is completely optional for SnapShip

Just because there is a data field does not mean you need to fill it in. Lots of things can be left blank/empty. Required fields in SnapShip have a star beside the name (*).

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Russian email address

I highly doubt it. Canada Post doesn't verify they've been given the proper email address. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Russian email address

Doesn't the offer only apply to shipments mailed to Canadian addresses? If the final delivery address is Russian it may be a problem.

-CM

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Russian email address

No, it is to a Canadian address. I tried to contact the buyer via the email address he had on Paypal, and it bounced back.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Russian email address

email is completely optional for SnapShip

Just because there is a data field does not mean you need to fill it in. Lots of things can be left blank/empty. Required fields in SnapShip have a star beside the name (*).

-..-

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Russian email address

Two big red flags.

Russian email with CDN address, and the email on PP doesn't work.

I wouldn't be sending anything unless these questions were sorted out.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Russian email address

It's entirely up to you, of course, but it sounds to me as if the buyer is in Russia but using perhaps the address of a friend or family member in Toronto in order to be able to buy off eBay (many sellers block Russian buyers due to delivery issues and fraud to Russian addresses).   The Toronto contact can then ship the item on to the original buyer.   Or it's possible the Toronto contact is the intended recipient (birthday gift for example), but I doubt it. 

Is this an expensive item?  If so, I might be inclined to cancel the transaction if the buyer hasn't paid, and then possibly block the buyer.   Even if the buyer has already paid, I might consider refunding and cancelling.   The problem is that you won't be actually transacting with the person to whom you're shipping, and you'll have no control over what happens to the item once it gets into the Toronto recipient's hands. 

Normally this isn't an issue (I've had buyers occasionally ask me to ship to another address, but at least the buyer's email and contact info were in Canada, and the ship-to address was within Canada).  Your situation is different.  

If it's not a high-priced item, you can take your chances and ship, then keep your fingers crossed that the buyer will actually receive it from his Toronto friend.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Russian email address

This is tracked, right? That covers your obligations under eBay; call PayPal if you’re worried that the seller may be unverified.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Russian email address

The buyer paid right away and has good feedback. It is not a very expensive item, around $40. It was not concern about actually having a problem with the item, it was concern about the email address on snap ship, I didn't realize that the addition of the email address on there was optional.

I think you may be right about it going to Russia eventually, for me, it is just going 50 miles to Toronto and will be expedited.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Russian email address

If it were me, honestly and despite my risk-aversion, I’d mail it as you intended (free Tuesday) and not give it another thought. I think the chances that it will come back to haunt you (Russian email or not) is probably very low. That being said, it’s your call.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Russian email address

(But, yes, the need for an email for SnapShip is a red herring.)
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Russian email address

I got a phone call on Thursday that showed an Alberta long distance code.

The friend was actually in my driveway in BC.

An email address can be used anywhere in the world.

It is not beyond belief that a Russian visitor (whether for six days or six months) might keep his Russian email address for use while in Canada.

Behold the interwebs!!

OTOH- google the Canadian address. If it is an empty field, worry. If it is a house, a shop in  a strip mall or a freight forwarder in an industrial park, no problem .

On the third hand, that the email link is dead is a concern. Use eBay Messages to ask the buyer for an up to date email address.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Russian email address

I checked, and it is a house. The name is quite different than the buyer I have, but that is not unusual, the fact that the item was yarn, it was more likely to have been for a female living in the house.

eBay doesn't allow you to ask or receive email addresses on the messages. I only checked the email address on Paypal because I thought I needed it for SnapShip, otherwise I would have had no idea that it was a Russian email address.

I really am not expecting any problem with the package, it's paid for and will be going expedited, so it can be tracked and is insured.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply