Selling my EBay store to a new owner?

I would like to sell out my store completely to a new owner. Is this possible? The banking info and personal info would have to be updated of course. Have people done this before?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If it's a question of preserving and transferring the existing listings to the new owner, you could use a third party program like Sixbit to back up the listings and then the buyer could access and upload them through their own account (I'm not sure of the exact procedure). 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

marnotom!
Community Member
While you can certainly sell your inventory and infrastructure to somebody else, you can’t sell the account itself.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/selling/selling-ebay-account?id=4134
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

In the interests of protecting our buyers and sellers, and maintaining a safe marketplace, you can't sell your eBay account or change its ownership.

When you develop a strong feedback rating and satisfy your customers, your eBay account has value. Feedback is intended to give a view into a seller's performance, so we don't allow accounts to be transferred or sold.

Attempting to sell an eBay account may result in buying and selling restrictions and account suspension or removal.

Tip
If someone offers to buy your eBay account, report it to us as soon as possible.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Can an eBay account be tied to a corporation instead of a legal person? The same way a bank account can be tied to a corporation and not a person? Because for business purposes, a corporation is a legal entity. The account would not be changing hands since it still is tied to and belongs to the corporation. I don't have any background in corporate legal, so of course this is just speculation and not actual legal advice.

For example, if a retail business who also markets their items on eBay is sold, I would find it surprising if they force the business to shut down their original eBay account. 

I assume the TOS is meant to prevent bad actors from farming accounts for nefarious purposes, and not to prevent the legitimate transfer of a business where they incidentally have an eBay storefront as part of their marketing mix. Although, that doesn't mean that they would allow it or that it wouldn't violate the TOS.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@visual-sound wrote:

I would like to sell out my store completely to a new owner. Is this possible? The banking info and personal info would have to be updated of course. Have people done this before?

The short and ultimate answer is: ABSOLUTELY PROHIBITED (seriously - do not even try!)

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

If it's a question of preserving and transferring the existing listings to the new owner, you could use a third party program like Sixbit to back up the listings and then the buyer could access and upload them through their own account (I'm not sure of the exact procedure). 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

Can an eBay account be tied to a corporation instead of a legal person? The same way a bank account can be tied to a corporation and not a person? Because for business purposes, a corporation is a legal entity. The account would not be changing hands since it still is tied to and belongs to the corporation. I don't have any background in corporate legal, so of course this is just speculation and not actual legal advice.

At one time there was verbiage that suggested that accounts registered as a Corporation could have a major change in significant ownership and maintain their account. That part was removed from the Help Pages many years ago. This removal was part of a decade long re-write and simplification of the help system where many things disappeared (plus much new stuff added).

I have no idea if that policy still stands.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I expect the no significant change in ownership still stands, though harder to enforce.

Don't blame ebay for not wanting a market for feedback scores.  Scammers would love that, buy credibility and then shaft away. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

as has already been said , NO, you CANNOT sell your eBay store to someone else and eBay forebids it so there is NO " Have people done this before?"

Please read the rules and policies as given in the link by another poster.

and if that is not enough to convince you, then perhaps seeing it in in nice big red print wiill convince you:

"In the interests of protecting our buyers and sellers, and maintaining a safe marketplace, you can't sell your eBay account or change its ownership.

When you develop a strong feedback rating and satisfy your customers, your eBay account has value. Feedback is intended to give a view into a seller's performance, so we don't allow accounts to be transferred or sold.

Attempting to sell an eBay account may result in buying and selling restrictions and account suspension or removal."

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

Scammers would love that, buy credibility and then shaft away. 

And this EXACTLY why it's not allowed. Fully understandable...

Message 10 of 10
latest reply