Send registered mail, what happens if buyer claims it didn't arrive?

I have a buyer from Italy who has purchased 4 items from me.  I ship from South Korea, and I have shipped to Italy once before without any problem, but this buyer only has a score of 3, and bought several items from me at once, which does worry me a bit.  Upgrading to registered mail is cheap enough here that I am happy to absorb the cost of registration.  I'm just wondering what would happen if I sent a registered package, and the customer claimed that it didn't arrive.  I read through the terms, but honestly I wasn't sure that I would be 100% protected.  Just to be clear I wouldn't be using Fed EX or similar, but would use Korean Post ( VERY RELIABLE) with an upgrade to registered mail, that would be trackable.

To sum up, my question is: If I send a package via registered mail and have the documents to prove it, am I 100% protected if a customer claims that they didn't receive it?

Thanks for your time!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

"am I 100% protected if a customer claims that they didn't receive it?"

NO.

For 100% protection, you need to purchase insurance at time of shipping.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@cutepaperstory wrote:

I have a buyer from Italy who has purchased 4 items from me.  I ship from South Korea, and I have shipped to Italy once before without any problem, but this buyer only has a score of 3, and bought several items from me at once, which does worry me a bit.  Upgrading to registered mail is cheap enough here that I am happy to absorb the cost of registration.  I'm just wondering what would happen if I sent a registered package, and the customer claimed that it didn't arrive.  I read through the terms, but honestly I wasn't sure that I would be 100% protected.  Just to be clear I wouldn't be using Fed EX or similar, but would use Korean Post ( VERY RELIABLE) with an upgrade to registered mail, that would be trackable.

To sum up, my question is: If I send a package via registered mail and have the documents to prove it, am I 100% protected if a customer claims that they didn't receive it?

Thanks for your time!

Korea Post does not deliver in Italy, the Italian PO does. That has nothing to do with anything. Registered is not tracking and eBay does not recognize it. Waste of effort.

My lost rate is one in a thousand.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Registered Mail usually does give you a delivery scan.

The delivery scan is good for an INR claim.

What isn't any use with Registered is the signature part, while the recipient will have to sign (usually) the signatures in most cases are not "view able online" which is what you need for an INR claim on an order exceeding US$750.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for clearing that up recped.

It did seem strange that a method of delivery which has been used for important and valuable shipments for centuries would not be recognized by Paypal in Disputes.

For Canada Post the cost of $9.00 on top of the basic cost for the service makes all the other 'tracked' services more appealing.

Might we all want to step a few paces back before he opens that?-- Shepherd Derrial Book

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the feedback. 

Registered mail here has a bar code and is tracked.  It only costs 2.50$ to add it to normal airmail, so it is a good option for me when shipping from here.   

In 3 years, with about 25 sales a month, I've only had 3 buyers claim that they didn't receive my package, 1 in Brazil (who closed her eBay account and asked me to refund her the money personally, when I refused she never wrote me back), 1 in Russia, and 1 in the USA who claimed non-receipt after only 2 weeks and then when I wrote her later asking if she ever got the package didn't reply.  I'm just worried as I have heard that a lot of items "go missing" in Italy.    I'm going to go ahead and send out the package with tracked registration and hope everything goes well. 

Thanks for the helpful feedback! 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I ship to Italy, the problems you have heard about mostly happened between 2006 and 2010, service there is back to "normal" (normal being about on par with Germany and slower than the rest of Europe).

For $2.50, registered mail is a cheap option for you but keep in mind, it's usually slower than regular Air Mail and of course if it gets delayed or lost it's still delayed or lost, tracking doesn't really change things.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply