Sending an invoice

More help please.

Sold an item to a US bidder who did not contact me about shipping outside Canada prior to bidding. I want to issue invoice with revised shipping cost. Checked eBay help. It said to check ‘sold’ under ‘My eBay’. First of all, there is no such heading under My eBay, and secondly when I click on the item that sold, it offers no ‘send an invoice’ option.

So, am I heading towards another resolution centre claim to have this resolved? And, why is it such a hassle to sell stuff on eBay ...

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Sending an invoice

On your summary page. Scroll down to sold items.  On the right of the sold listing, find "more action" drop down menu.  There will be send invoice.  You can edit, then send the invoice.. 

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

Sending an invoice

Tried that, thanks. There is nothing about invoicing under this or any other ‘take more actions’ heading on my ePay page.

I already know what action I’d like to take 🙂

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

Sending an invoice

Are you using a real computer or your phone? Because if you use the latter, you should use the former to send the invoice.

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

Sending an invoice

I am using an Ipad which has been flawless on eBay - I have issued invoices before. Buyer is now claiming he has paid.

Probably to the wrong PayPal account as discussed in a previous thread. Yet, ALL of my listings are identical wrt payment methods.

Is there any way to sell on eBay without using PayPal? My frustration with the inner PayPal demons is growing.

Thanks for trying ...

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

Sending an invoice

Click on the item sold & then click on Contact Buyer on the top left side & at the top of the next page it will say Send An Invoice. Click on that & you can resend.
Message 6 of 37
latest reply

Sending an invoice

Once the buyer has paid, I don't believe the seller can send an invoice. If the $ sign next to the item in your sold section is filled in then according to ebay the buyer has paid. You can also check your PayPal account to see if there is a payment there from the buyer.

You can take cash on local pickup, or debit and credit cards through your internet merchant account if you are set up for it.

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

Sending an invoice

There is a stalled hourglass symbol where the $ sign should be - same as the other one that paid to the wrong account.

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

Sending an invoice

An hourglass could also mean that the buyer paid with an echeque. Did you receive an email about the payment from PayPal?  The email would tell you if an echeque was sent and approximately how long it will take to clear. Don’t mail the item until it has cleared.

If there is no email at all about the payment then you really do need to doublecheck the PayPal payment email address in that listing.  I know that you said all listings have the same email address but it is the only explanation that I can think of to explain a problem with payments on 2 different listings. 

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

Sending an invoice

Did he pay ANYTHING for shipping? Or is it just short of what you think it should be?

Is there a cleared payment in your Paypal account?

Remember that you get a discount when you buy most SnapShip and Shippo labels.

Does that cover the actual cost of shipping?

Sometimes it is cheaper to ship to the USA than to Canada.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Are you willing to take what he has paid, said 'oh phooey', and ship anyway.

Keep in mind, the minimum wage* is 18 cents a minute.

How much are you going to lose if you put more time into this?

Not every transaction will go perfectly. Sometimes you will be lucky to break even.

If you don't want to ship outside of Canada, you should set your Preferences to Block all other countries.

Then if someone still manages to purchase, you can cancel as "problem with address".

If you are willing to ship outside Canada, put a Calculated Shipping price for that country into your Terms of Sale.

*here in BC, YMMV

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

Sending an invoice

The buyer has not paid anything yet, and nothing from PayPal. wrt shipping, I will mail stuff anywhere in the world, but I prefer to stay in Canada. How else can I tell potential buyers that I am willing to do this than the way I put it in my descriptions.

As for batting average, I guess having three ‘issues’ out of 15 isn’t bad... not.

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

Sending an invoice

It looks like all three of the items in ‘limbo’ were listed on the US site.

How does eBay decide which site to put an item on?

How did eBay come up with a way that payments from US buyers don’t show up in my PayPal account?

If my PayPal account is different for US buyers, why don’t  they tell me what it is?

Do I just write these sales off (cannot relist or anything), and go back to eBay’s other venue?

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

Sending an invoice

@grannio204 wrote:

How does eBay decide which site to put an item on?

You did. EBay does not decide anything regarding that matter. US $ listings can only be listed on .com

@grannio204 wrote:
How did eBay come up with a way that payments from US buyers don’t show up in my PayPal account?

If my PayPal account is different for US buyers, why don’t  they tell me what it is?

Did you check your PayPal account if you had the funds? Or if they were "pending"? As for your PP account, try to relist one of the items. You will see the PP account that was used on that page.

@grannio204 wrote:
Do I just write these sales off (cannot relist or anything), and go back to eBay’s other venue?

Which other venue are you talking about?

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

Sending an invoice

Kijii, of course. Not a great audience for your items, but at least you get to meet the buyer, and get paid right away. Plus, no middle-man grabs like eBay and PayPal.

And, no shipping costs which kill many potential sales on eBay.

I cannot see any difference wrt payment instructions and PayPal account info on the items listed on the US site and the .ca site.

No funds at PayPal. When I click on payment info, for these items, it takes me to a blank PayPal page. When I  click on payment info for other items I have sold, I get the balance and other account info.

And, of course eBay ‘thinks’ I have been paid and will not let me relist these items. I will probably try to sell them somewhere else. None of the ‘buyers’ have responded to my request for payment info, so who knows if they have sent any money to some PayPal pit. It’s a darn mystery, and now I have to jump through some hoopsto get and selling fees back from eBay.

This is a very difficult place to sell stuff, and just not worth the hassle.

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

Sending an invoice

I just got a bid on another item from a US buyer who did not READ the description before bidding.

Since I have lost a lot on shipping with my poor guesstimates already to rural areas in Canada (again, from ignorant buyers who apparently can’t read) and anticipate the same payment problems with the current item, can I simply cancel the auction?

Message 15 of 37
latest reply

Sending an invoice

"...from ignorant buyers who apparently can’t read"/

You have been on eBay for over nine years and should have learned by now NOT TO BLAME BUYERS because your listings do not offer specific shipping charges or buyers do not read the 'fine print". 

"please ask prior to bidding means nothing  as buyers trust the information you provide with a specific shipping charge.

Good Luck in 2018.

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

Sending an invoice

I'm no good at screenshots, but it's right there on your Sell Your Item form.

Look under Shipping Details.

The first is Domestic Shipping.

If you are on dotCA, that's for Canada ONLY.

It connects to Canada Post for Calculated Rates.

I like to use dotCA for items that must ship Parcel Rates, which vary not only by dimensions and weight, but also by destination.

Calculated takes the weight you got when you weighed the item on your Starfrit digital kitchen scale you got on sale at Canadian Tire and tells the customers the exact price for delivery to his doorstep.

It's not too late for Santa.

Little Christmas is January 7th this year.

The second is International Shipping.

Use Custom Location.

First time out choose USA only.

Calculated Shipping will tell the customers the exact price for delivery tohis doorstep. 

Then Choose Another Service.

Pick the countries you DO want to ship too.

Don't choose North and South America-- it makes the US shipping rate go wonky.

You can do this several times,for example if you wanted to ship Small Packet Air to the UK but Tracked Packet International to Russia.

There is also another box which allows you to Ship Worldwide, but the buyer has to contact you for the shipping cost.

There is also a box for a Handling Charge, although most sellers ignore it using the PP discount on shipping to cover those costs instead.

Then you put in the METRIC weights and measures.

And eBay calculates the shipping for you and for the customer, based on the information you put in.

If you sell a lot of similar items, these will tend to self-populate but are easily changed while you fill in the SYI form.

Three 'issues ' out of fifteen is terrible.

I sell books and sewing patterns mostly. I think I've had one problem this year out of a few hundred sales. And that was resolved as a language problem when I wrote the buyer in my fairly bad French.

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

Sending an invoice

It sounds as if the problems that you are having are from items that you listed on  ebay.com but is seems like you didn't realize you were on that site when you listed them. eBay doesn't know where you want an item listed so whichever site you are on when you list an item is the site that it comes up on. It isn't that difficult to somehow end up on a different site but when you list on .com the item is in $US dollars and the domestic shipping..so the first shipping that comes up is in the US and the options are different than what shows on the .ca site. That means that on those auctions you do have a cost for shipping to the US. In fact that is the only shipping cost set up on those listings and Canadians don't even see the listing on .ca.

On the Game of Thrones listing it shows US$15 dollars shipping to the US using Economy Shipping from outside of the US. Since there is a shipping cost to the US the buyer was able to pay, that's why you couldn't send an invoice..the buyer had already paid the amount that you entered when the listing was made.  The only way for them to pay is to pay through the listing and it automatically goes to the Paypal account listed in the payment details in the listing. 

But you don't see any payment in your PP...correct?  Please go to your sold listings, click on the Thrones listing so that it opens up, on the top left click on sell similar. I don't want you to list it again but this is a way to look at the information on there. Under payment information what is the Paypal email address on that particular listing?  Is it correct? I realize that I keep asking you that and I apologize if you have specifically check it on that listing but please humour me and tell me if it is or is not the correct PP email address on that listing. I promise I'll stop asking after that. 🙂

If you use business policies to set up your shipping, scroll down to the shipping section in that listing and click on view to the right of the payment details. That will show you the email address.  Since you don't want to list this again right now, you can either backspace to get out of the listing or just close that page once you know what the information shows.

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

Sending an invoice

Then why have a description at all if buyers don’t read them? Why have the eBay touted feedback system when it is meaningless?

I may have been on eBay for over nine years,  but for eight and a half of those years I was a buyer only. I only started selling a couple of months ago, and it has become a major hasslle.

My listings DO offer specific charges for Canadian buyers, and they state, NOT in the fine print, what buyers outside Canada are supposed to do before placing a bid.

Why does eBay get to enforce their rules, but I can’t enforce mine? Geez, fair eh ...

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

Sending an invoice

@grannio204 wrote:

I just got a bid on another item from a US buyer who did not READ the description before bidding.

Since I have lost a lot on shipping with my poor guesstimates already to rural areas in Canada (again, from ignorant buyers who apparently can’t read) and anticipate the same payment problems with the current item, can I simply cancel the auction?

If you have a shipping cost set up to a location, the buyer can pay and you are committed to that cost even if it is going to cost you more. Regardless of what you put in your listings, when you list an item with a shipping cost, you can't charge the buyer more. 

Right now, only US buyers can see the listings that you did on .com and only Canadian buyers can see the listings that you did on .ca so it's very unlikely that you will get a US buyer on the .ca listings. eBay has changed over the years...there are millions of listings on the site and people want to know the shipping cost when they look at a listing. That's why it is important to figure out ahead of time what you are going to charge by either using flat rate or calculated shipping.

Message 20 of 37
latest reply