They refunded my buyer without returning the $400 item! PLEASE HELP!!

Hey guys,

I am very very new here. The issue I am seeking advice from you on is my 2nd sale on eBay ever and I had a horrible experience that left me deeply depressed.

A buyer buys my item, I send the brand new unopened item (computer motherboard) to them, they receive it, and a few days later they seek a return and refund citing that the "Technician said it was a risky operation to replace the laptop's motherboard".. I wonder why the tech didn't feel that until he opened my item's seal!

As sketchy as this weird response was, I was getting a long to get my item and double check if they busted it or replaced it or what not. As the item was coming my way, I noticed it was going to a different city.. So I contacted the buyer immediately and inquired.

I realized that I did not update my return address for I never had to use it as a buyer and I was a new and unexperienced seller. I alerted the buyer to the error, requested that they redirect the Item to me and fixed my address on the platform.

The buyer came back to me saying the shipping company refused the redirection and that the item must return back to her then be shipped again to the right address. I offered the buyer to pay any extra shipping costs.

3 weeks later, the item arrived back to the buyer and I was dumfounded to find the buyer already opened a case against me and that eBay, without any alert; warning; or mention despite my 5 separate follow up calls, closed the case against me refunding the buyer and telling them to keep the item! I repeat, I was not aware at all there was a case!

I called, I screamed, I told them I was always on the phone with them seeking their guidance up to 7 hours before the refunds asking them what I should do and they never gave me any advice other than "Wait" and I did what I was told to do!

My very second sale and I lost the item, the money, the commission to ebay, the fees for PayPal, and I was told there was nothing I could do and that their secret decision was final and irreversible! I feel like I want to cry! I know this is just $400 to many of you.. But there could not be any worse time for me to receive this hit!

Can any of the experienced sellers here tell me what to do? I did nothing wrong to receive a punitive action as such! I was very cooperative with the buyer, in constant communication with both the buyer and eBay, and neither of them expressed any grievance or dissatisfaction until my money and item were stolen by the buyer and eBay!

Please help!

A

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

You sold an item.

The buyer wanted a refund.

The buyer returned the item.

You had the wrong address in your Paypal and the buyer (innocently) returned it to that address.

The item could not be redirected, and arrived back with the buyer, which took a further three weeks.

The buyer opened a  Dispute.

At this point, I imagine she's annoyed.

EBay refunded the buyer, and did not insist that she return the item again.

My first concern is that you were not notified of the Dispute.

Dispute notices are sent by email and appear in your Messages.

Have you looked in your Junk mail folder of your email account attached to this account?

Is the buyer (who apparently does not want the item) in Canada or the USA?

In either case you can send her a Return Shipping Label.

Canadian RSLs are easy, just go to  Canada Post and send her a pdf with the CORRECT address.

If she doesn't use it, eventually you will be refunded.

US labels are harder.

Are you signed up for Shippo and Solutions for Small Business?

Shippo will sell you as USPS shipping label but you need the Canada Post SfSB number to set up Shippo (and Paypal for that matter).

Again if the label is not used, you will eventually be refunded.

And be calm with the buyer. "Screaming and crying" , which I hope was an exaggeration, are not useful tactics.  Be calm polite and professional.

For the most annoying moments there's this:

voodoo DOLL.jpg

You may also be able to get the buyer's phone number either from the payment or through eBay.

A quiet calm discussion may be what is needed at this point.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thank you very much for your reassurance @reallynicestamps 

Your first concern is valid. They NEVER informed me there was a case or dispute or anything despite being on the phone with them many times only to follow up on the same issue. Also I double checked my junk box and I got nothing from them. This was actually my biggest grievance with them.

The buyer is in the USA. I will send a shipping label from my account in Shippo per your advice, thank you. 🙂

Crying was an exaggeration, but I did scream with the appeal rep because I was shocked there was a case that I was told nothing about despite being on the phone about this very case almost every day following up and seeking guidance. But I appreciate your sound advice as well.

Love the photo! 😄

Will contact the buyer and hope for the best. Will keep you posted 🙂

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Maybe can help you out.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for the tag @2nd-time-around-jewelry!

Hi @the_geek*s_electronics - I'm sorry to hear about the frustration this has been, especially for your second sale on eBay! When it comes to authorizing a return request, your default return address is used. I don't have a way for you to change that at this point I'm afraid. You can check which addresses you have set for your account here

I'd suggest continuing to work with the buyer with the suggestions that @reallynicestamps provided. It looks like the buyer has been open to working with you and if you're able to use Shippo to provide them a label I'm confident you'll end up getting the item back!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

You have the address of the person you sent the product too, it is in their best interest to send it back to you. Make the buyer aware with a nice post card that they should send it back before you show up at their door.  Ebay is no help and has awful service towards their only customers (sellers) ie. The ones who actually pay them keeping them employed with a revenue stream and not the people who peruse for ways to get free stuff.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply