What happens when a buyer sends back something you didn't send them?

Remorse return.

Arrived today, opened box. It's not what I sent them. It's beat-up and there's hair stuck to the tape and they kept their 'gift with purchase' which is the least of my concerns. 

I guess I have to call Customer Service.

Groooooooan. 

After so many many months of problem-free transactions, now I'm looking at two in short order and both a result of buyers from Quebec which I find odd.

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: What happens when a buyer sends back something you didn't send them?

@zee-chan wrote:
Glad to know that it worked out! At least it saved you a trip to the police tomorrow. Sets you up for a nice weekend!

So I guess eBay probably still refunded the buyer out of their own dime then?

I’m also glad that it worked out for Mo. 🙂

I’m sure that eBay refunded the buyer so unfortunately, the buyer will likely continue to do things like this.  I’m not saying that Mo should have had to absorb the loss but I do think something in the system needs to be adjusted.

Message 41 of 50
latest reply

Yes, definitely. Because the buyer in question returned something, I was obligated to refund them for it. Because it was not what I sent to them -- incomplete, open and damaged badly enough that I didn't recognize it as the item which they were sent as the one being sent back to me -- ebay was supposed to protect me. Which they eventually did. After I kicked up a fuss, readied my police report, and asked for assistance from ebay sources outside the Returns department. 

With the buyer being refunded on ebay's dime, however, I should hope they will watch this person more closely now. It's their skin in the game now too. And, who knows, maybe this will have scared that person just enough that I fought back and that they won't try it again. 

This is a problem with Returns in general. As a Cars collector, there was a well-known scandal within the community where a fellow 'collector' was buying four-packs of a certain release and then carefully swapping out the one 'exclusive' character of four that had the value to people, replacing it with another, and successfully returning them to the store from which they were bought. Then they sold those ill-gotten characters on ebay at a premium. Everyone knew who it was. Police had been contacted, and apparently the stores affected in the circle around where this person lived eventually clued in. But the person working at the Returns desk at that retailer just didn't notice or care any of the times the boxes came back with the wrong characters in it. It's fraud, plain and simple but unless YOU are the one being defrauded, it's not going to much matter until then.

The same thing happened with LEGO; certain people have also learned how to un-seal the factory-seals on boxes to take stuff out and then return them to the store missing the most important or valuable parts. LEGO is switching to unstoppable glue. Like, it takes a crowbar to open the flaps that have been glued now.

Back in the day, one of my friends worked at a Returns desk at Sears and she had horror stories about the stuff people would try to return. (Like evening dresses stained with deodorant, lipstick and gravy while claiming they were unworn.) When I worked the Customer Service desk at a grocery store in my youth, most of those returns were akin to, 'This cheese tastes funny' and the return would amount to a few dollars but the store was locally owned in a small town and the owner would give everyone the stinkeye, and people knew they would be shown the door if they tried that too often. 

The River has set an unrealistic bar for Returns, I think. I bet you can buy a box of kleenex there and send it back a big stack of used Kleenex and still get your money refunded, no questions asked.  

Message 42 of 50
latest reply

Glad it worked out, this is kind of a classic scam and happens often in retail. You own something that is broken or in less than ideal condition. Buy a new one and return your old one with receipt pretending you just bought it, now you have a mint condition one for free and its hard for the seller to prove otherwise.

Message 43 of 50
latest reply

Exactly, thank you. Yet in my 6.5 years of selling, it's the first time this trick was attempted with me. The item in question is no longer sold in stores; if it was, I suspect it would simply have gone back to a retail desk. Even when it was available, it was exclusive to a chain located only in the USA. A lot easier to send it back to me and pretend they 'found a better price'. Indirectly, yes: free replacement.

Message 44 of 50
latest reply

In the end, this case proves that won't be allowed.

Providing the seller knows their rights within the Returns policy and is willing to fight about it. 

Message 45 of 50
latest reply

Although here is another peculiarity. 

The Return in question has shown itself as an Unpaid Item. I'm assuming this is a bug in the system  (akin to the one where buyers see an item is sitting back in Unpaid if they have been refunded on it) but I haven't attempted to see what would happen if I tried to 'open' a case. I don't want to stir the pot.

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 8.53.29 AM.png

Message 46 of 50
latest reply

As I said earlier many sellers don’t win a case like that however, did you a actually file an appeal or were you just getting ready to do so?   It could be that it is an almost guaranteed lose for the seller UNLESS they file an appeal.

Also, was the case opened on eBay.fr or on the French .ca site? Just curious.

Message 47 of 50
latest reply

Yes, the Return case was opened via the French side of ebay Canada (buyer is located in Quebec) which is the reason CSRs would only communicate in French with me on it and, yes, I most certainly did launch an appeal, formally. I was in the process of collecting my evidence to take to the local detachment in order to generate the police report Customer Service requested to support my case as part of the appeal when it was unexpectedly closed in my favour. 

Message 48 of 50
latest reply

(Or at least I followed what the ebay French Canada Customer Service reps told me to do in order to file an appeal.)

Message 49 of 50
latest reply

Having worked at Future SHOP, I am familiar with such scams, not only for warranty items (staff who commit insurance fraud) but also people trying to pull the wool over eyes.

One case was unique, I wasn't there for it, but customer bought brand new MacBook Air. Returned it a week later. When the store went to format and get it ready for sale, they discovered it was and old Core 2 Duo Air, not the new i5. How? Simple. Back then, the case wasn't updated (design wise). So the customer swapped the bottom plate with the SN. The store checked the rear plate and it matched the box.

Message 50 of 50
latest reply