Where have the "Watchers" displays gone??

I noticed today on checking several of my more important listings that the display showing the number of watchers is no longer being shown on either the listing itself or in search results.  My Selling Manager page clearly shows a number of watchers on each of the items I checked, some with more than 10.   BTW, same result whether the items/searches are viewed on .ca or on  .com, in case anyone is wondering. 

I'm hoping this is another stupid glitch/bug/technical difficulty, and not another stupid policy change on eBay's part.  The display of watchers has an important marketing function, and can help to make a sale. 

Has anyone seen any reports about this, and any indication it will be fixed (assuming it is a bug)?  If not, I'll be bringing it up on the Wednesday chat. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Bring it up at the Weekly Chat. I’m interested to see the answer you’re given.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I'll try to remember to do that, yes. 

It's probably a minor technical issue to them, but it makes a difference to me as a Canadian seller when the red "watchers" text pops up on my listing or listings amongst a screen full of U.S. listings that don't happen to have watchers.  From a marketing perspective, it says "desirable item".    

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@momcqueenwrote:
Bring it up at the Weekly Chat. I’m interested to see the answer you’re given.

Update:  Well, it seems the reply was effectively the same as tyler gave in the earlier thread on this subject a few weeks ago, which was: 

"I looked into this and discovered that the Watcher-count from the Item Details page has been removed as a feature as of last week.

I'm still looking for more details as to 'why', but I do know that this isn't something that is considered a glitch or error.

Watcher-count will continue to display in search results and there is no plan that I can find to remove it."

And yesterday's response from 'tyler'

"This is an intentional change from mid-January. I talked about it briefly here. Watcher totals should still be displaying in search results if items are popular in search."

The "why" still hasn't been explained, nor do I think it's likely to be, at least not in any honest way.  My guess is that eBay doesn't want to continue giving away free marketing/promotional boosts if they can get sellers to pay for it (Promoted Listings).   No, they'll probably tell us that displaying "watcher" counts weren't effective.   I beg to differ.   It is a known marketing technique that gets results (otherwise why would eBay have kept it going for so long?), and, well, it was free!  Uh-oh, just like "Guides" -- can't have that when eBay is scraping for every penny it can get out of sellers. 

Despite what 'tyler' said, when I looked at a number of my listings yesterday that I knew from Selling Manager had many watchers, those watcher numbers weren't in fact displayed in a search (done from my alternate ID).  Someone listing on eBay.de still had it displayed though.  I haven't checked again today, I'm exhausted trying to keep up with eBay, done for now.  

Message 5 of 5
latest reply