Why is a buyer allowed to open a case so early?

I sold an item on April 23.  It was set as Economy Shipping from outside the US, 11 to 23 business days.  This was on .com.  Why was the buyer allowed to open an item not received case already?😕

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Why is a buyer allowed to open a case so early?

From April 23 to April 31 is seven days. Today is May 8. That's 15 calendar days.

It does seem early.

None the less, RESPOND TO THE DISPUTE immediately with the tracking number, if you got one. Include the date of shipment and the service you used.

Make sure you say it is a Canada Post (or UPS Canada , etc.) service.

Only the tracking number is important , but better to sound too forthcoming than to go silent.

You want the buyer to realize that you are in Canada and there is a border in between you and him.

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Good Question.  I had one opened on May 5 for a shipment sent on April 19, which is within the 11 to 23 business days delivery window.  I have been given to May 11th to "resolve" i.e. refund, and that is also within the deliver window.  Nice threatening follow-up email to "Resolve this request to remain in good standing" by the 11th.   

Ironically it is a $7 shipping included paper item, about the cheapest thing I have listed.  

Message 3 of 47
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@annabelle5060 wrote:

I sold an item on April 23.  It was set as Economy Shipping from outside the US, 11 to 23 business days.  This was on .com.  Why was the buyer allowed to open an item not received case already?😕

Was it sold within Canada or to a buyer in the United States?  Your shipping time to the United States is 4 to 10 business days.

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

Although I don't think it was intentional, the estimated delivery time for economy shipping outside of the US  was changed so your listings on .com are showing 4-10 business days including your handling time. I didn't count the days but I'm guessing that the 10 business days are up.

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

Is that was for the cross stitch, that is also showing the shortened 5-11days est. delivery time including your 2 days handling.   For some reason both Economy and standard shipping from outside of the US are showing the same time.

Message 6 of 47
latest reply

There is   no tracking, too expensive.

23 days.jpg

 The listing clearly shows 11 to 23 days.

This needs to be fixed.

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

PS annabelle5060 is my eBay account. Widgetc velongs to another family member but the screen shot is from the actual listing.

Message 8 of 47
latest reply

Yes, that is the one.  Thanks for spotting that, it is weird and concerning.   That is definately an eBay glitch.  I took the same listing and brought it up on both relist and sell similar and economy shipping shows me the 11 to 23 business days on the listing page.

5 to 10 days is not realistic for mail, it usually takes 10 to 14 business days.  I am going to call eBay tomorrow to see what they have to say about the discrepancy.   I ship items with a decent value by lettermail so this can be an issue.   It looks like it is .com issue.

Message 9 of 47
latest reply

Those of us who go commando on tracking are gambling that the occasional refund costs us less than the cost of tracked services and probable lost sales to high shipping prices.

However, if there is no tracking, you will be refunding the buyer in full.

You can add a Message : "I regret that your item is delayed by pandemic slowdowns at the Canada/USA border. When the delayed item shows up you can use Paypal's Send Money service to return the refund."

It will work about half the time in my experience. And it might make the impatient buyer a little embarrassed about her behaviour.

And you do use Cookie Jar Insurance, I hope?

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

You might be able to call eBay and have them add an extension to the case, which will give you some additional time to see if the item arrives. 

I would explain the issue with the delivery window, and be clear that you aren't trying to avoid covering the buyer with a refund if the item doesn't arrive. Only that you're very familiar with Canadian to US shipping times, and are sure this is a case where the item is taking the regular time, and the mistake with the delivery window is what prompted the buyer to think it might be lost.

Also, if you bring up the obvious pandemic and how it effects mail time, it might also help. In general, you just want them to know you aren't trying to avoid refunding the buyer, but you want to save the buyer the trouble of closing the case and having to deal with the item coming shortly after. 

You have to really explain the realities of Canada Post shipping to the customer service rep so they understand the context, since they won't be from Canada. 

Generally, I have better luck with CSRs if I call in the morning or early afternoon. I find those CSRs tend to be a bit better. 

Obviously, communicate with the customer as well during this process. Let them know the item was sent, that it should arrive soon. Politely ask them to let you know when the item arrives by closing the case when it does arrive. 

If it doesn't arrive by the time you have to close the case, you are better off refunding. The buyer is going to get a refund whether or not you initiate it. If you do not initiate it, you will get a defect. Also, by being prompt with the buyer, you increase your chances that they follow up with you to pay you back for the item when it arrives. While some INR cases are scams, a lot of them aren't. So unless there are major red flags on the buyer feedback, or other reasons to believe the buyer is acting in bad faith, it is always better to respond promptly and professionally to INR cases. Both because it creates a more positive outcome for the buyer, and also because it opens a dialogue that will increase the chance that the buyer reaches out to you to re-pay if the item arrives after you refund them. 

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

from an April 21 order

I just received a note from buyer saying item was supposed to be there by May 6 (tomorrow) but it is not. This too has 11 to 23 days for economy shipping from outside the USA.

eBay is messing up and I suspect in addition to not received isssues this will lead to late delivery dings.

This needs fixing. How do we bring it to Tyler's attention?

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

"Was it sold within Canada or to a buyer in the United States?  Your shipping time to the United States is 4 to 10 business days."

No...the shipping time economy from outside the usa shows clearly as 11 to 23 business days when I check my listing

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
I still don’t have an answer to my question, though. Are these buyers filing INR cases located in Canada or the USA?
Message 14 of 47
latest reply

"from outside the usa " only applies to a sale on .com to a US buyer

so these are cases shipped from Canada to USA buyer 

If you examine inside the shipping options it clearly shows as 11 to 23  business days but the US buyer is aparantally seeing a much shorther time period. There is clearly a glitch.

Message 15 of 47
latest reply

I had this happen to me recently too. My item showed 11 to 23 days shipping time from Canada to the US. My buyer however expected it to arrive much sooner. Must have been same glitch. Left me a nice red circle too and without even contacting me.

Message 16 of 47
latest reply

These are US buyers buying from Canadian sellers that are listing on dotCOM.

What is happening is we are selecting economy shipping that provides an 11 to 23  business day delivery timeframe but the listing is showing 5 to 11 days instead.   Buyers are filing INRs based on the 5 to 11 day timeframe and that is being accepted by the ebay autobot.

From Ottawa it is very consistent that untracked small packet and lettermail takes 10 to 14 business days.  This glitch is provides a completely unrealistic timeframe for delivery. 

I have checked some of my other listings and it is also showing that way for the others listed on dotCOM.   e.g. I have a listing that has the option for economy shippping and standard shipping.   The time frames should be 11 to 23  business days for economy and 5 to 10 business days and instead it is showing 5 to 10 and 5 to 11 business days. 

Below are screen shots that show what my listing options are and what shows up in the listings on dotCOM.

shipping 3.jpg

We need some assistance here.  This is critical and important.

Message 17 of 47
latest reply

Whoops, I replied to  foliums posts instead of yours, please see below for more information.

Message 18 of 47
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

These are US buyers buying from Canadian sellers that are listing on dotCOM.

What is happening is we are selecting economy shipping that provides an 11 to 23  business day delivery timeframe but the listing is showing 5 to 11 days instead.   Buyers are filing INRs based on the 5 to 11 day timeframe and that is being accepted by the ebay autobot.

From Ottawa it is very consistent that untracked small packet and lettermail takes 10 to 14 business days.  This glitch is provides a completely unrealistic timeframe for delivery. 

I have checked some of my other listings and it is also showing that way for the others listed on dotCOM.   e.g. I have a listing that has the option for economy shippping and standard shipping.   The time frames should be 11 to 23  business days for economy and 5 to 10 business days and instead it is showing 5 to 10 and 5 to 11 business days. 

Below are screen shots that show what my listing options are and what shows up in the listings on dotCOM.

shipping 3.jpg

We need some assistance here.  This is critical and important.

In checking my listings I am showing between 4/5 to 10 days by anything expedited to the USA including AK/HA/PR. It routinely takes my shipments 4/5 days for anything to arrive at LAX for processing.  Anything to AK/HA/PR always takes longer than continental USA. Is eBay factoring in just business days or all days? Does anything get adjusted for holidays?

For another example your get similar results when you ship from Cornwall, ON to anywhere in the USA includeing AK/HI/PR.

Also, of note in going throught a quantity of listings I was finding listings missing services options I routinely  include.  Doing spot checks by opening those listing the options were showing in my listing but missing when you test. My choices are based on weight/size & value to give a buyer choice.

This is definitely concerning because of something eBay may have recently modified suddenly corrupting our listings. Very labor intensive to proof 100's of listings.

-Lotz

PS. As mentioned it the past posted shipping times to Scandanavia  from Canada are less than Shipping to the UK and in the eBay notes it does not specifically say that shipments may be delayed by customs.

Some US sellers(but not all) it does note the following: International shipment of items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges  which bypasses that delays may be involved. Important information for buyers to understand.

Message 19 of 47
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Thanks for the clarification.  I looked up @annabelle5060's listings yesterday and for some reason I thought that the "Economy Shipping from outside US" descriptor had been applied to both the shipping info for Canada as well as the US.

To me, it's pretty obvious what's happening.  Because the .com site is pretty US-centric, anything that's now listed on the site is treated as shipping from the United States.  US domestic delivery standards are being applied to the shipping information for items shipped to the United States (as though the items are shipped "within" the United States), and international delivery standards are being applied to for shipments "to" (actually "within") Canada.  In other words, because we're in Canada listing on the .com site, the estimated delivery times are reversed.

Hope I'm making some sense here.

Message 20 of 47
latest reply