Why is ebay asking for my passport for ID

I received an email from ebay asking to provide identification. Ebay is asking for either a drivers license or passport, neither of which i have. 

Ebay went thru this id with the managed payment setup so they have my information. 

Why are you asking for this information. 

Even if i had this, it is government sensitive information, Trusting this information with a 3rd party i don't think this is even legal. I don't trust ebay with this information, so why are you demanding this?

Ebay Provide legal details why you are asking for this.

To comply with eBay policy on cross-border selling, we need a government-issued ID so you can sell internationally.

Provide a government ID
This can be a current driver's licence or passport. The ID can't have expired.
Name
XXXX XXXXXX

Provide a government ID
Type of IDPassportDriver licence
ID number
Country of issueCanada 
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

@keithsa41 wrote:

I received an email from ebay asking to provide identification. Ebay is asking for either a drivers license or passport, neither of which i have. 

Ebay went thru this id with the managed payment setup so they have my information. 

Why are you asking for this information. 

Even if i had this, it is government sensitive information, Trusting this information with a 3rd party i don't think this is even legal. I don't trust ebay with this information, so why are you demanding this?

Ebay Provide legal details why you are asking for this.

To comply with eBay policy on cross-border selling, we need a government-issued ID so you can sell internationally.

Provide a government ID
Name
XXXX XXXXXX

Provide a government ID
Type of IDPassportDriver licence
ID number
Country of issueCanada 

tyler@ebay 

This issue doesn't seem to end.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

What's going on then? I contacted help and spoke to some american support staff who know nothing of acceptable government ID's. By canadian Law the following ID's are valid in Canada yet they say that the tool is not sent to accept any other forms of id. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/new-adult-pass...

As per canadian law, acceptable forms if IDENTIFCATION is as follows:

You can use any of the following types of ID alone or in combination to meet the above requirements:

• Canadian passport
  • driver’s licence issued by a province or territory, or the equivalent abroad
  • health card issued by a province or territory, or the equivalent abroad
  • Certificate of Indian Status
  • military ID
  • foreign passport
  • non-driver’s licence issued by a province or territory, or the equivalent abroad
  • ID card issued by the federal government, or a provincial or territorial government, or the equivalent abroad
  • employee identification issued by the federal government, or a provincial or territorial government, or the equivalent abroad

EBAY Support tells me that they will hold any funds on sale until i get a drivers license or passport. This has created a vacuum here with a poor thought out process.

EBAY, IF I ALREADY HAVE BEEN SETUP FOR MANAGED PAYMENT SYSTEM AND ID PROVIDED, WHY ARE YOU ASKING AGAIN FOR THIS?

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - we ask for documentation to help with our need to verify identity, comply with anti-money laundering and sanctions screening obligations (TOS here). 

You do not need to provide an SIN, but we do regularly request other documents to meet the AML and identity requirements. If that's not something an individual feels comfortable with, I completely understand. However, to continue selling on eBay it will be necessary to provide the requested documentation.

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

What you say to those people who do not drive or do not have a passport. Ebay insists on one or the other. If you don't have it, this is ebay's problem. I should not be penalized for this problem. Canadian Law for identification allows the following government IDs. IT is the law. 

You can use any of the following types of ID alone or in combination to meet the above requirements:

• Canadian passport
  • military ID
  • foreign passport
  • non-driver’s licence issued by a province or territory, or the equivalent abroad
  • ID card issued by the federal government, or a provincial or territorial government, or the equivalent abroad
  • employee identification issued by the federal government, or a provincial or territorial government, or the equivalent abroad

THIS IS EBAY PROBLEM. I NEED ANSWER TO THIS, NOT Rhetoric.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Are you an ebay employee? I need someone from Canada to address this issue, not untrained Americains who know nothing about required laws of Canada for ID. 

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

somehow this tag got mixed up with another user. Are you Tyler an employee of Ebay? I need someone to address my concern legitimately. The Chat support group failed to address my concerns. They are americain and do not know about Canadian Law and Acceptable Government ID's 

• Canadian passport
  • military ID
  • foreign passport

if EBay is requesting this for law purposes, then it must state so and provide the above ID's as sufficient proof. Ebay tool only allows for drivers id or passport. Many people do not drive or currently have a valid passport. Coupled with COVID 19, Travel restrictions and process of Passports is months behind. I NEED SOMEONE LEGITMATE TO ADDRESS MY CONCERNS

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

tyler@ebay  is an eBay employee. There is a post today announcing two other employees who will be answering when called.

The rest of us are just busybodies interested members who are willing to share our experience. I've been around eBay since 1998 and selling mail order for over 35 years, mostly as a side hustle.

The documents you list may be legal, but frankly a business can make its own decisions about what documents it is willing to accept. Since the acceptance is quite likely in the hands of minimum wage clerks, the fewer the better, since an unknown (but legal) form of ID could be counterfeit. I worked for nearly a decade in the office of the Minister of Indian Affairs and I would not recognize a Status Card even if my Cree great-nephew showed me his.

EBay seems to have chosen a policy of KISS, and opted for two widely available and easily recognized documents.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@keithsa41 wrote:

Are you an ebay employee? I need someone from Canada to address this issue, not untrained Americains who know nothing about required laws of Canada for ID. 

Like @femmefan1946 I'm just another eBay seller trying to help where I can. That's why I passed your message on to Tyler who is with eBay. Unfortunately the  MP application and variations there of  shall we say were mangled when it was applied to dot ca sellers and  our unique situations. This has caused confusion and uproar from the beginning. Fields that are or aren't required are not well explained and eBay CS can be "inconsistent" unless you happen upon the right agent for your question. Tyler is the go to when us regular busybodies  are in doubt.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

They’ll require your sin soon it’s the slow creep of control
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I created a new account last week to start selling more personal stuff and separate my things, they suspended it instantly on my first listing. The usual thing i linked my bank account, contacted support and provided a proof of identity they asked (health card). Then they sent an email and started asking me weird questions about my selling pratices, like my estimated delivery time, or how i would pay fees on sales (!?)

After answering to those questions, they answered me all of sudden that my proof of identity sent wasnt valid and i quote:  after reviewing your documents we are not able to verify your account details. Now they wanted another one: passport, driver license, military ID (!?!?), and they throwed me another set of questions. I answered those questions again and told them that my proof of indentity provided was a canadian valid proof of identity, that my bank account was also linked at the same name, and that i was about to just go sell somewhere else because they were abusive

That's funny they removed my restrictions instantly in a few minutes... Long story but how my proof of identity was not valid and they wanted more personal informations, and then all of sudden it was valid? It's just to share a bit of a weird experience i had recently. It was also very suspecful... They wanted and tried to obtain more than needed. I even doubted myself at some point if i was answering to a fake email trying to scam me... But no it was really eBay, this was weird

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Military ID? I've not seen that one before now. Honestly though, your experience sounds like a typical interaction with the MP group ... weird.
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Health Card is not one of the accepted documents I have seen.  The only ones I've seen are passport and drivers license. 

Both of which are fairly easy to obtain, but do not have any personal/intimate information attached.

Personally I'd show my passport (name, picture, place of birth,date of birth , nationality) to anyone but my health card is connected to my medical records.

EBay does still ask for our SIN, but this is still voluntary as always. My SIN card has only a version of my name (and not the one I use), a number, and my signature. It actually would be useless as ID for Managed Payments because of the incorrect name.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Health Card is not one of the accepted documents I have seen. The only ones I've seen are passport and drivers license.

Health card is supposed to be accepted, this is what i used on my first account and they ended accepting it too on my new one. I'm pretty sure it was listed as an accepable method in their first email. It is also considered and stated by the gouvernement that it's a valid proof of identity. There's our name, date of birth and a photo. Especially with our bank account linked, they have a verified bank account with a valid canadian proof of identity that match the name, identity is proven

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I'm not questioning you on that.

I'm surprised that anyone would give it!

Our SIN has name and number (my card is pretty old - new ones may have more) and frankly isn't much use in identity theft. And we are very protective of that.

But a Health Card? That links to my medical records  in my doctor's office, the lab tests we've run, vaccines from covid to shingles to smallpox, operations... BC is pretty well computerized unlike Ontario, or at least my doctor there.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

vlado1
Community Member

Becouse they want to know all about you, who you are (and what you think).

After all these years, with a pervect feedback record-I'm canceling my account and look for alternatives.

eBay = KGB

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2021

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue discussing this topic.

Thanks for your understanding!

Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 18 of 18
latest reply