With all the changes, Can American Buyers using the shopping cart buy multiple Items from Canadians?

Recently I had an american buyer who only bought One item because all items after that required her to pay for each item including shipping right away, I mentioned to her that if she is using the shopping cart that it won't work for Canadians the same way. So this customer only bought 1 item instead of several. My Listings are set up so that people Do not have to pay right away so that is not the issue.  What Changes have been Made regarding this shopping cart issue?????

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

With all the changes, Can American Buyers using the shopping cart buy multiple Items from Canadians?

Which shopping cart issue are you referring to?  When I add 2 or more of your items on .com or .ca, there is a link on the top right of the cart that allows me to ask you for a total.  The buyer could have done that as well.  It has been like that on both sites for a while now.

If you already had discounts for combined shipping set up, the buyer could skip the ask seller for the  total step and pay for all the items in their cart.

Or......On com ebay often requires Immediate payment but if the buyer had sgned into .ca they could have clicked on buy it now and then commit the buy so that they wouldn't have to pay until they were done shopping.  They could then request a total from you. 

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

When I add 2 or more of your items on .com or .ca, there is a link on the top right of the cart that allows me to ask you for a total.  The buyer could have done that as well.  It has been like that on both sites for a while now.

If you already had discounts for combined shipping set up, the buyer could skip the ask seller for the  total step and pay for all the items in their cart.

Or......On com ebay often requires Immediate payment but if the buyer had sgned into .ca they could have clicked on buy it now and then commit the buy so that they wouldn't have to pay until they were done shopping.  They could then request a total from you. 

I'm not sure that "Request Total" is functioning properly as it used to do.  The button may still be there, but I don't believe it's doing its job anymore.  I've been meaning to post a description of some experiences I ran into a few weeks ago in buying on eBay where the "Request Total" led to a complete dead-end (both on .com and on the U.K. site), but I've been too busy to get back to it.  

For the moment, I'll just say that in all four instances I was unable to actually get past the "Request Total" button -- it led to a screen that said something along the lines of: "This seller does not offer combined shipping discounts" (which in this case was nonsense, since these were all sellers I'd purchased from on a number of occasions and I knew they did offer such discounts).  

This alarmed me on two accounts: first, from my perspective as a seller, because I've wondered whether my own buyers are being thwarted in the same way; and secondly, from a buyer's viewpoint this is a really bad checkout experience.  Either the "Request Total" option should be removed, or eBay should ensure that it works.  

In all my own recent experiences, I had to back out, remove the items from the cart, use the "Buy it Now" to commit to buy the items one by one (without going through to the actual payment), use one of the item's link to send a question to the seller, asking about combined shipping and requesting the seller send me an invoice with adjusted shipping.  Holy cats, what a rigmarole.  

Had I not been a seller, I doubt I could have navigated around all of that.  I think many buyers might just give up in frustration and make no purchase at all.  After all, what ordinary buyer is going to want to pay quadruple shipping costs on 4 items hoping that the seller will refund the excess later?  And what seller wants to pay FVFs on excess shipping refunded (or do battle with CS to get those FVFs back)?  

This really concerned me, especially since I'd been banging on this drum with Raphael for months and recalled that he did say it had been "fixed".  Evidently not, at least not as of a few weeks ago.  

This was not the first time this happened to me as a buyer either.  On the previous occasion, I didn't stop to take screen shots -- this time though I did.  When I have more time, I'll post the complete explanation, with the screen shots.  

If it's true that this longstanding "alternative" for buyers to get an adjusted total is not working, it's very serious indeed, particularly if eBay is telling buyers the seller doesn't provide combined shipping.  Sadly we no longer have anyone like Raphael to bring this up with.  Just be aware that it may still be ongoing, and that as a seller you'll never know about it unless your buyers specifically mention it to you.  The only reason I found out was because I do occasionally buy on eBay, and enough items at a time to make combined shipping well worthwhile. 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Ever since the cart was first introduced, I have never successfully paid for more than one item with it.  I have always got the "seller does not offer combined shipping" message that you describe, and the "contact seller" link would not allow proceeding.  More recently (a year or so?), the "commit to buy" option has been missing from items so I could not work around that way.  I only recall once a few weeks ago that a new looking button had appeared at some point to commit to buy a whole set of cart items instead of a single item and that actually worked.  I've only encountered that once so far.  I've been really gun shy on that stupid cart for a very long time and have given up purchases at times also.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I have not had a multiple sale in years happening buy itself....Ive always had to create invoice on the side, sell off eBay in order to do it..this has been the case since the shopping cart was implemented in .Ca, Ive had one customer from Canada who has never seem to have any problems purchasing multiple items from me in the past..but haven't seen her in over a year now and I wonder if something has changed for her too. Las customer I had bought one Item because they didn't want to bother figuring out how to purchase more items without having to pay shipping for everything.  Plus Ive have had a few who have paid for Shipping for Every Item which EBAY charges me fees for, then I Refund the over charges in shipping to the customer...and have to waste my time calling Ebay to get my shipping charges back.  I have also been told by my last customer that they received a notice that I do not combine shipping...anyway..obviously the issue has never been fixed and Ebay has not gotten back to me on when it will be.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

When I add 2 or more of your items on .com or .ca, there is a link on the top right of the cart that allows me to ask you for a total.  The buyer could have done that as well.  It has been like that on both sites for a while now.

I'm not sure that "Request Total" is functioning properly as it used to do.  The button may still be there, but I don't believe it's doing its job anymore.  I've been meaning to post a description of some experiences I ran into a few weeks ago in buying on eBay where the "Request Total" led to a complete dead-end (both on .com and on the U.K. site), but I've been too busy to get back to it.  

For the moment, I'll just say that in all four instances I was unable to actually get past the "Request Total" button -- it led to a screen that said something along the lines of: "This seller does not offer combined shipping discounts" (which in this case was nonsense, since these were all sellers I'd purchased from on a number of occasions and I knew they did offer such discounts).  

This alarmed me on two accounts: first, from my perspective as a seller, because I've wondered whether my own buyers are being thwarted in the same way; and secondly, from a buyer's viewpoint this is a really bad checkout experience.  Either the "Request Total" option should be removed, or eBay should ensure that it works.  

In all my own recent experiences, I had to back out, remove the items from the cart, use the "Buy it Now" to commit to buy the items one by one (without going through to the actual payment), use one of the item's link to send a question to the seller, asking about combined shipping and requesting the seller send me an invoice with adjusted shipping.  Holy cats, what a rigmarole.  

Had I not been a seller, I doubt I could have navigated around all of that.  I think many buyers might just give up in frustration and make no purchase at all.  After all, what ordinary buyer is going to want to pay quadruple shipping costs on 4 items hoping that the seller will refund the excess later?  And what seller wants to pay FVFs on excess shipping refunded (or do battle with CS to get those FVFs back)?  

This really concerned me, especially since I'd been banging on this drum with Raphael for months and recalled that he did say it had been "fixed".  Evidently not, at least not as of a few weeks ago.  

This was not the first time this happened to me as a buyer either.  On the previous occasion, I didn't stop to take screen shots -- this time though I did.  When I have more time, I'll post the complete explanation, with the screen shots.  

If it's true that this longstanding "alternative" for buyers to get an adjusted total is not working, it's very serious indeed, particularly if eBay is telling buyers the seller doesn't provide combined shipping.  Sadly we no longer have anyone like Raphael to bring this up with.  Just be aware that it may still be ongoing, and that as a seller you'll never know about it unless your buyers specifically mention it to you.  The only reason I found out was because I do occasionally buy on eBay, and enough items at a time to make combined shipping well worthwhile. 

Howdy everyone -

The options described by @pjcdn2005 are the ways we'd walk buyers through purchasing from you if they called in.

While we've had reports historically of the Request Total button not working, we don't have any currently. Looking forward to screenshots from @rose-dee so I can take a closer look and get things reported!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

The options described by @pjcdn2005 are the ways we'd walk buyers through purchasing from you if they called in.

While we've had reports historically of the Request Total button not working, we don't have any currently. Looking forward to screenshots from @rose-dee so I can take a closer look and get things reported!

I'm sorry to disagree Tyler, but I'm afraid the options mentioned by pjcdn don't work, at least not as of a few weeks ago when I tried to use them (as well as a few months ago, when I first encountered it and brought it up with Raphael).  What she describes used to be the easy and obvious alternative.  

Keep in mind that this is something sellers will never see unless (like me) they buy on eBay -- and buy multiple items that would normally be given a combined shipping discount by the seller.  If you buy just one item and pay for it, you'll never know.  Or if you happen to put a number of items in your cart from a seller who has automated discount rules set up, you will get the adjusted shipping/discount total.  

For example, I have a "Buy 4 patterns, get free shipping" automated rule set, and this works every time (at least on the .com cart where I sell).  However, if a customer buys, say, a mix of items, some of which are not patterns, they won't get the automated discount and will have to somehow ask.  If the "Request Total" button leads nowhere, they may be likely to just give up rather than pay the total for multiple full shipping.  

I'm going to post here my experiences recently (Feb. 2017) -- along with the screenshots I took on this occasion -- to try to explain what I encountered.  I ran into exactly the same problem a few months ago (I don't buy every week), but didn't take screen shots at that time.  

Also note that in February, I made multi-item purchases from a U.K. seller and a U.S. seller, and exactly the same thing happened as is described below, with the same screens appearing.  I just didn't take screenshots of all of those instances, but the result was precisely the same. 

I would be very grateful if someone could look into this.  Raphael understood what the problem was, but it clearly didn't get dealt with before he left.  This is a very poor result for the buyer, and even worse for the seller if the buyer gives up.  Experienced buyers may know enough to back out and send a personal message to the seller about combined shipping, but many won't know or won't bother.  Many of us sellers direct our buyers to use the "Request Total" feature -- either it should work, or it should be removed by eBay if they can't make it work. 

Multi-item purchase from a seller in France:  I've bought from this seller before, so I know (and they advertise) combined shipping.  Here is what I encountered when I attempted to check out and get an adjusted total for the order from my seller: 

• Items in Cart (I was shopping from eBay.ca) – Note “Request total from Seller” button at top right.  There were 14 items in my cart, each showing the individual shipping cost.  The total shipping for the order (all small items on their own) would have been about $70.00, so it was worth it to try to get a combined shipping adjustment from the seller. 

Screenshot 1.jpg

• The next screen (on pressing ‘Request total from Seller’) appears to permit the request (note that I've asked in the message box as well).  All seems normal, including the blue "Commit to Buy and Submit Request" button at the bottom of the page:

Screenshot 2.jpg

• When the ‘Commit to Buy & submit request’ button is selected (blue button shown at the bottom of the previous screen), the following screen appears:

Screenshot 3.jpg

• This particular seller most certainly does offer combined shipping discounts, and even directs buyers to use the ‘Request Total’ feature (as many of us do).  What must our buyers think when that "Request Total" button takes them to a dead-end screen?

Screenshot 4.jpg

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Why do buyers have to be walked through on how to purchase something, it should be made easy. Sellers are losing sales because of it. This problem has existed for a long time, and ebay has never tried to fix it. Just one glitch of many in the ebay system.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@melissasminis wrote:

Why do buyers have to be walked through on how to purchase something, it should be made easy. Sellers are losing sales because of it. This problem has existed for a long time, and ebay has never tried to fix it. Just one glitch of many in the ebay system.

Precisely.  Absolutely.  

Meanwhile, our store fees have been hiked by 25%, TRS discounts reduced by half to 10% (and for many soon eliminated).  Couldn't eBay use some of that money to actually fix a few critical issues around here?

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

I'll have to dig back through my notes, but as I recall this was a compatibility issue with the .ca cart and other international site carts. I seem to recall Raphael mentioning it had something to do with multicurrency handling and how .ca was not running the same version of the cart software codebase. When I was listing on .ca I had to get customers to log into .ca, and specifically the non-mobile version of the site, to get add to cart working properly. There is probably more information back in the weekly discussion threads as I recall the issue coming up and being discussed, it might have been around the time of the USD retirement from .ca as I recall something he said about how making things  a single currency would allow for implementation of the newer cart code.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@melissasminis wrote:

Competing marketplaces tweak site performance to reduce load time by milliseconds to prevent cart abandonment. That gives you an idea of the scale of the problem as it relates to losing sales when a customer can't easily complete a transaction. It wouldn't be so bad if you could just create an invoice for a customer (virtual quote that locks inventory as it were). Or they could just refund the FVF from partial refunds given to customers...

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

I'll have to dig back through my notes, but as I recall this was a compatibility issue with the .ca cart and other international site carts. I seem to recall Raphael mentioning it had something to do with multicurrency handling and how .ca was not running the same version of the cart software codebase. When I was listing on .ca I had to get customers to log into .ca, and specifically the non-mobile version of the site, to get add to cart working properly. There is probably more information back in the weekly discussion threads as I recall the issue coming up and being discussed, it might have been around the time of the USD retirement from .ca as I recall something he said about how making things  a single currency would allow for implementation of the newer cart code.

That particular issue was fixed a while ago and was caused by the .com and uk carts not interfacing with other sites.  The .ca cart has always recognized the cart on. other sites.  

The problem rose is referring to is one that I've heard about on .com and ca but it doesn't seem to happen consistently.   If the seller does have calculated shipping rules set up the buyer doesn't have to request an invoice because the bill is already discounted .  It's the invoice request that seems to goof up the system at times.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

That particular issue was fixed a while ago and was caused by the .com and uk carts not interfacing with other sites.  The .ca cart has always recognized the cart on. other sites.  

The problem rose is referring to is one that I've heard about on .com and ca but it doesn't seem to happen consistently.   If the seller does have calculated shipping rules set up the buyer doesn't have to request an invoice because the bill is already discounted .  It's the invoice request that seems to goof up the system at times.

Ah gotcha. I haven't kept up with it as since I've moved over to .com my cart related headaches have been mostly banished.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Yes, 'pj'  is correct, the cart incompatibility issues were fixed some time ago.  This has nothing to do with the cart per se, but rather with what happens when a buyer attempts to request a total for a multi-item order using the "Request Total" button that is available during the last steps of the checkout flow.  

In each instance I mentioned above (which included separate multi-item purchase orders on eBay.uk, eBay.fr and eBay.com), exactly the same thing happened, and the currency was consistent within each order (i.e. no mixed currency).  With my purchase on .com, I even switched to signing in on the .com site to see if that would make a difference.  It didn't.  

This problem has been around for a long time, at least several months.  We sellers may be completely unaware that our multi-item orders are vanishing because buyers can't get through the system to get a break on shipping and they just give up.  The fact is, were I not an occasional buyer of multi-item orders, I would never have known about this.  

In other words, this is one of those unresolved, hidden sales killers that is so typical of eBay. 

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

It wouldn't be so bad if you could just create an invoice for a customer (virtual quote that locks inventory as it were). 

This has been the crux of this particular problem for months.  If, as a seller, I don't know that a buyer would like an adjusted total, because he/she can't get the "Request Total" to work, it's a lost sale.  Experienced buyers may figure out that they can send a personal message to the seller, listing the items they want, and ask for an adjusted total or invoice.  But not all buyers are that well-informed about eBay "workarounds".

This is more or less what I did as a buyer in the instances I mentioned.  I used the "Commit to Buy" for each individual item I wanted, but didn't follow through with payment.  I then emailed the seller and asked them to send me an invoice for the whole lot, with combined shipping.  I'd hazard a guess that most buyers wouldn't either know or bother to do this.  

Or they could just refund the FVF from partial refunds given to customers...

I think what you meant to say was "deduct the FVFs from partial refunds given"?  Well, that's true, and that's what a lot of us have been doing when buyers are persistent (or trusting) enough to pay for all their items, including the full shipping cost, hoping that their seller will refund them.  Not every buyer is willing to pay the full shipping in advance, knowing the total will likely be far less for items shipped together. 

But this isn't the core of the issue.  The real problem for sellers are the buyers who get stuck during the checkout system because "Request Total" doesn't work, and either don't know, or can't figure out, what to do from there, and just leave.  They may leave eBay entirely in disgust, and go to another site where checkout is seamless.  These multi-item orders are precisely the sales we want to keep here! 

In this respect, 'melissa' is completely right -- eBay's top priority, Job #1, should be to ensure that buyers can check out smoothly, easily, and seamlessly, every single time.  I can't believe I'm still banging on this drum after so many months.  

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

This problem has been around for a long time, at least several months.  We sellers may be completely unaware that our multi-item orders are vanishing because buyers can't get through the system to get a break on shipping and they just give up.  The fact is, were I not an occasional buyer of multi-item orders, I would never have known about this.  

In other words, this is one of those unresolved, hidden sales killers that is so typical of eBay. 

Having fought through the previous .ca cart incompatibility issues I would say the majority of buyers are giving up. I would get customers contacting about the problem but it was always difficult walking them through the steps, especially with customers who weren't native English speakers. Despite detailed instructions in listings on how to overcome the issue, I saw few who would read the instructions and would instead check out one by one, by one. What was never known is how many simply gave up as you mention. I certainly wouldn't blame them.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

I think what you meant to say was "deduct the FVFs from partial refunds given"?  Well, that's true, and that's what a lot of us have been doing when buyers are persistent (or trusting) enough to pay for all their items, including the full shipping cost, hoping that their seller will refund them.  Not every buyer is willing to pay the full shipping in advance, knowing the total will likely be far less for items shipped together. 

I don't mind refunding the customer the full amount when in reality the buggy ebay checkout flow are causing the issue. I just object to fvf's not being refunded where the seller gives partial refunds.

But this isn't the core of the issue.  The real problem for sellers are the buyers who get stuck during the checkout system because "Request Total" doesn't work, and either don't know, or can't figure out, what to do from there, and just leave.  They may leave eBay entirely in disgust, and go to another site where checkout is seamless.  These multi-item orders are precisely the sales we want to keep here! 

Completely agree. As a long term seller on ebay, my number one gripe is that it still fails at the most basic of things, which is ensuring a smooth checkout experience. I'm tired of hearing the just add free shipping to everything line. You should never have to train a customer on how to use your website.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

I don't think any of us know how often the request invoice option does not work but I agree that eBay should set it up so that it is a seamless process each time.

However, sellers have to take some responsibility too. The checkout process is generally seamless if the seller has set up their combined shipping rulles so that shipping is automatically discounted. I realize that is easier said than done because many of us have such a variety of item sizes and weights but it can be done. I admit that I haven't done that but I am well aware that if I put in the work to set it up, my buyers would not need to request an invoice.

For those who list on .ca and don't  use lettermail, calculated shipping would probably be their best option. For those on.com who use Canada Post, we don't have that option but can still set up some type of combined shipping for various categories.  It's not ideal in the sense that at times the buyer may pay slightly more and at times slightly less but is that not better than the buyer passing up the sale?

I've never had to ask for an invoice anywhere else so I suspect at least some retail sites set it up in a similar way. Or they set up one shipping flat rate knowing that they will make some of the losses up on the item price.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I've never had to ask for an invoice anywhere else so I suspect at least some retail sites set it up in a similar way. Or they set up one shipping flat rate knowing that they will make some of the losses up on the item price.

With your own web platform you have a lot more options for how you handle the cart weight, packaging dimensions, etc. Ebay is really only geared towards single item shipping via calculated methods, or flat rate methods, hence why ebay directs sellers to setup free shipping. For example on a separate website implementation I have, categories that are similar dimensionally use calculated shipping by specifying an average box dimension and weight to use as the "shipping box", then for each item purchased, the item weights are added. For categories with products that have more of a range in size, an algorithm is used to derive a dimensional weight based on the theoretical carton size for combing the items. Flat rate shipping generally works great in higher margin categories or when you are selling lightweight, smaller goods.  

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I don't think any of us know how often the request invoice option does not work but I agree that eBay should set it up so that it is a seamless process each time.

However, sellers have to take some responsibility too. The checkout process is generally seamless if the seller has set up their combined shipping rulles so that shipping is automatically discounted. I realize that is easier said than done because many of us have such a variety of item sizes and weights but it can be done. I admit that I haven't done that but I am well aware that if I put in the work to set it up, my buyers would not need to request an invoice. 

I'm afraid I completely disagree that sellers should have to assume any of the responsibility for this state of affairs.  We are their subscribers (or users), paying good money to list and sell.  The single most important aspect of running an online commercial site should be to permit buyers to easily checkout and pay.  This is eBay's site.  They bear total responsibility for making it work for the purpose for which it was intended.  

In fact, the "Request Total" feature did work quite nicely for many years.  EBay has somehow broken it, at some point in the last year.  I'm so tired of being told by eBay reps and others that it's up to us to go work around the problem, when we are paying them to provide (at a minimum) the ability for our buyers to choose what they want and pay easily.  This is basic, essential, online selling 101, and eBay seems to have a really difficult time grasping that.  

I'll tell you what I'm really sick of.  Over the years, when presented with an issue, eBay's first knee-jerk response is usually that the problem doesn't exist.  Until they see one of us present actual screen shots (or until there are enough sellers complaining).  Their next answer is usually to tell us to use some complicated "workaround".  Finally, after months or years of whatever issue it is that affects our sales, it gets fixed.  Then we discover that something else has been broken in the process.  And on and on.  As I've said on many occasions, if they didn't spend so much time re-arranging the décor, and focused instead on making the critical core functions work reliably, I suspect we'd all be doing a lot better.  

If it sounds as if I'm angry about this issue, well I am.  An arbitrary 25% increase in store fees doesn't incline one to be terribly forgiving of eBay's management of this site.  And don't even get me started on eBay's self-serving ploy of mollifying us over store rate hikes through coupons for overpriced shipping supplies.  Fix the issues first! 

Other retail sites (take for example HBC) can offer free shipping on orders over a certain level because they have direct control over their product costs and sourcing, as well as over their online site.  They can tailor their checkout to best suit the products they carry.  They aren't dealing with millions of individual sellers in thousands of different locations who have different needs, different situations and different postal services available.  

All eBay needs to do is to reinstate the "Request Total" feature as it was, and voilà! -- problem solved.  I really don't understand why eBay has not given this top priority, let alone alerting sellers to the problem, since it must be having an impact on sales.  This issue was brought to their attention months ago.  There is no excuse for allowing such a lapse, and it should not be up to sellers to work out less than wholly satisfactory alternatives to make up for eBay's messes.  

Message 20 of 22
latest reply