Zero feedback from brand new account wants to make a large purchase. Advice?

Good morning all. Yesterday, I received 3 offers all in a row from a new ebay'er that just signed up yesterday so hence, no feedback score yet. The 3 offers are all on identical type items (higher end cameras) that I have listed and their offfers on all 3 come to $700. I am a little leary about accepting the offers. I am not sure what could happen but I would really hate to be scammed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Zero feedback from brand new account wants to make a large purchase. Advice?

That's a tough one, I would think with a total amount that high I would not want to take a chance either.

There used to be an option to block buyers with zero feedback but they took that away from us a while back now, no doubt because they are trying to get new buyers on board.

Everyone has to start somewhere of course (we all had zero at one point) and if it was just one item I might think someone is trying to find an item for Christmas and tracked it down to you here. eBay has put a lot of money and time into our items being shown quicker in google search so it would make sense some people find us even if they hadn't bought on eBay before.

However the fact that this person is making offers on three separate items with zero feedback I would be leery. If you do decide to accept and go ahead with the sales make sure you are well covered with proof of delivery and tracking of course. Worse case they could say it was not as described or had missing parts, not what they thought, etc. and you would have to refund them but not until the package was returned to you (you pay for return label). Because it's three high end cameras could be he thinks he can see which one he likes best and return the other two (at your expense). Or worse just wants parts which he takes before returning them.

At least it's being done through offers and he hasn't just made the purchase which allows you to just decline offer. Good luck which ever way you decide.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Re: Zero feedback from brand new account wants to make a large purchase. Advice?

The textbook scam is to send offers then when accepted they ask for your email, text contact for a variety of reasons, none of them valid.

If you do accept, based on what I've seen for cameras in the past, you can probably expect a quick request for your text number or your email address, which is the start of the scam. Don't ever do anything outside ebay processes and messaging (and of course don't give out text/email address!).

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

There used to be an option to block buyers with zero feedback but they took that away from us a while back now,

It disappeared in October 1995.

But seriously, there never has been a Block on new buyers.

It is even possible tohave zero feedback after buying and selling for months, since less than 40% of transactions get any feedback.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

I normally don't worry about zero feedback buyers but I don't sell cameras and the more expensive ones may tend to get targeted by less than honest people so I understand your  concern.  If you click on their profile (you might have to click on 'About') does it show you where they are from?   That in itself may not confirm anything but it might help with the decision.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

These are Offers and not purchases?
Sounds like someone who doesn't know how to use the Watch List to compare the three.

I agree that it is best to be cautious.

Why not make reasonable counter-offers and see if they refuse two of them? That might indicate that they have had time to think about their choice.

It would also lower your exposure.

BTW- any FeedbackLeft for Others? Unlikely, but often a guide to the personality of the customer.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

There has never been a block for 0 feedback buyers on eBay though there used to be one for buyers with feedback of -1 or more.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

I should have added another sign of upcomming trouble is if the offer is at or very close to the asking price, especially if it is at the asking price, the offer is really just a ploy to start the conversation so to speak.

I should also add that zero feedback buyers aren't always to be assumed to be a problem (folks using their credit card and not creating an ebay id automagically get a guest account which has a feedback of zero. I have one GOOD customer that has purchased from me a lot of times over many years always with a ZERO feedback guest account). I've also had one zero feedback buyer that is now over 50, ALL of their feedbacks from me....good thing I sold that first item to them!

If you want to experiment you can accept one of the offers or all of them and see what happens. They can't do you any harm simply by you accepting the offer, they need you to do other stuff to get yourself into trouble, and if you do everything within eBay as in messaging etc you'll quickly know if they're legit or not. If they do pay, the value is high enough that you're going to send tracked but you do run the risk of an SNAD, although SNADing isn't going to be as high a risk as the quick off the blocks typical scam....

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

I've only been selling since 2014 so I must be thinking of the negative number you are mentioning then, though I could have sworn I could picture seeing it somewhere in business policies but I must be thinking of something else that was changed. Too many changes to keep track I guess.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@road_warrior.2008 , @ricarmic  @pjcdn2005  @reallynicestamps  @msau4301 

Maybe I missed something. Am I understanding you all correctly?

There's a system of blocking buyers with a feedback score or <5,4,3,2,1. 

There are other blocking parameters there as well under Managing Who Can Buy From You.

You can find the setting at the following path:

[Top Left of any page go to "YOUR ACCOUNT" and follow this path

/Selling/Account Preferences/Selling Preferences/Buyer Management

I personnally have never had a problem with a zero feedback buyer. In this case;

•  I would  contact eBay chat and explain the situation and that the goods are high end. I would tell them I'm concerned and ask what sort of Seller Protection I have and if they have any advice on shipping. Save the transcript.
  • If there is a problem then you have a chat transcript showing you did everything possible to expedite the sale. 
  • Get additional insurance but only AFTER you know what the coverage is. Is it loss, theft AND breakage in transit ? Shippo has been jpromoting a new insurance from "Ship-cover". You may want to look into that.
  • Take lots of photos of your items during packing showing they are properly packed.

Remember you can never eliminate 100% or the risk but you can go the extra mile of "due dilligence".

Managing who can buy from you.JPG

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

The way I see it, the possibility of a buyer scamming you exists with every eBay sale that you make.  If you're taking the usual precautions such as shipping only to the address in the transaction details and getting signature confirmation for more expensive purchases. you're likely as on top of things as you can be for mitigating (but not eliminating) your risk of buyer fraud.  Remember, there's no "defence" against an Item Not as Described claim, and you could get one of those from anybody for just about any reason.

Keep in mind that this account could just as well have been opened by an established user who wants to hide their purchasing history from someone else or it could have been opened by someone recently booted off eBay for suspicious purchase patterns.  If it's the latter, there's a chance that you may receive a warning from eBay advising you not to ship, but sometimes these messages arrive a bit too late.

Seeing as there's digital cameras out there selling for thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars (Henry's is pre-selling one for just over $48K right now), a buyer trying to get three cameras for $700 doesn't raise bright red flags for me.   Having said that, I wouldn't throw caution to the wind, either.  You've received some good advice on sussing out the buyer and things to look out for during the transaction process.  Is the potential buyer registered in Canada?

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@road_warrior.2008 

One other tip, eBay gives you the customer's phone number. Use it.  Call them and have a chat with them. I have sold some personal expensive musical instruments and phoned the buyer and introduced myself before shipping the item. I knew the buyer and I had something in common. What I didn't expect was that the buyers really appreciated the direct call. I felt a lot better after.

And if you're wondering, it was eBay customer service that said I could use that number if I wanted. So I did. 

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@intimewithmusic 

I've never blocked zero feedback buyers, never intend to, don't even pay attention to how many feedbacks a buyer has actually.

If I were RW I'd simply accept the offers, see if scammish stuff happened, if not and they paid, I'd simply ship with tracking like I normally do for something of that $$$ size (with insurance as always as well, keeping in mind I have and use 3rd party insurance), but my volume, risk tolerance is/may be different from RWs, each of us has to make our own choices in that regard.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

OOPS SORRY, I GOOFED... iT'S NOT "SHIP-COVER" ITS "XCOVER" 

I've only used it once but they even cover Porch Piracy (extra of course, but available)....AND they actually send you an invoice for your purchase. WOW...Holy Moly!

HOW DOES IT WORK?
THIS PROTECTS YOUR PARCELS SO YOU CAN SHIP SAFELY FROM ANYWHERE TO ANYWHERE.

Shippo Total Shipping Protection includes protection for lost, stolen or damaged parcels.

The coverage amount is equal to the amount selected including shipping cost and starts when parcels leave their originating address. The rate to protect this parcel is US$1.50.

The protection can be canceled anytime before the parcel leaves the originating address.

SUMMARY OF YOUR PROTECTION
YOU’RE COVERED IF...
Your parcels are lost, stolen or damaged during transit and delivery.

IF PARCELS ARE LOST, STOLEN OR DAMAGED, WE’LL ALSO PAY COSTS TOWARDS...
“Return shipping”. These are the fees paid to couriers to have damaged parcels returned to you.

“Re-shipping” of replacement parcels. These costs are paid when the new delivery is arranged through Shippo.

These shipping costs are paid in addition to your coverage amount and exclude duties and taxes. There is no “excess” or “deductible” to pay.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@ricarmic 

You're right about it being an individual risk calculation. That being said the seller has reached out to this giant bank of experience.  What has been your highest dollar item sold on eBay and how did it go?

I currently have an 8K$ item up and need to learn from the masters!

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

None of those excludes new "zero feedback" buyers.

We can set an automatic Block on bidders with UID Strikes . These may or may not have feedback.

We can exclude bidders in certain locations. These may or may not have feedback.

We can exclude bidders in certain locations with less than an optional number of feedback. This is location based. These may or may not have feedback.

We can Block bidders who are bidding on auctions if we spot them on time for any reason. These may or may not have feedback.

But a flat refusal of zero feedbackbuyers? Never happened.  Never will.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Hello

My highest price item so far has been a $495 CAD painting to a customer in California, with $105 in shipping costs.  No issues. Also sold a $360 CAD Paragon cup to a buyer that tried to change address after purchase from Canada to the US.  This was before I knew better, and I allowed it and shipped anyway, and it went fine.  I would never do that now.  My suggestion for the seller in this case is allow 1 offer on the lowest item, and see how the transaction goes.  Make sure it is insured and tracked.  I have never had issues with zero feedback buyers, and have had quite a few of them.  Never had one go after 3 items at the same time. ( that is sort of a warning bell for me)

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

@reallynicestamps 

Please correct me if I'm mistaken. I just went into my settings and seem to be able to block zero feedback buyers as you can see in this screenshot. I must be missing something. What's up?

(and I'm not suggesting they do this, just that the option is available)

Untitled.jpg

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@intimewithmusic 

Yes it is very much about balancing the relative loss risk. 

I've seen sellers only selling what I'd consider high risk items that are averaging 1,500 to 10,000 apiece! Now of course they're used to selling that sized stuff and losing a 4K item while somewhat catastrophic to many of us here, isn't necessarily a show stopper to them.

I'm nervous about anything anymore selling for over $1,500., as you may have noted, I don't have much being offered anymore of that size, both because it is usually long haul stuff and I'm happier carving into smaller safer blocks. I've sold individual items here over $2,000 $C or so, don't remember biggest individual for certain. I do remember an auction item of a China stamp that went for $1,600 US, (started at $500) the original buyer bailed, the second chance guy asked a lot of questions/had "concerns" about it to the point I was certain they were going to bail, but they did buy and the item went to China proper, ALL signs of possible problems at that time. At one time China stamps were like gold, extreme prices but LOTs of problems especially going overseas. I worried the whole trip, broke all my "don't watch the tracking" etc, and the worry in the end was wasted as it arrived and buyer was happy. 

I did have a US buyer puchase 50 or 60 big items, ending up filling something like 10 bankers boxes and the grand total was in the $4000 range. Again I was sweating about that, I couldn't understand the thinking behind the combination of stuff that was being purchased, so I did call the buyer as a premptive measure to make sure I wasn't going to have to pay for 10 bankers boxes to come back from the US. The buyer was surprised and maybe even shocked to hear from me and my concern about whether they were getting what they really wanted. It was an auckward call, but things seemed fine so off they went and all was well. (I probably watched them in transit too)

I've said this before but all the "bad stuff" we see here tends to coax us to believe all customers are criminals and/or the delivery systems lose stuff all the time, which isn't the case in reality, but when one is looking at a relatively high $$$ sale against average monthy income, one can't help but have that creep into one's mind.

Now if I could only have a model where $1500 to $10000 sized items are NORMAL for me I'd be driving a different car thats for sure!

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

I think this is what "senior experience" is ggod for. I have an $8K item up and yesterday I got a request from someone across the bridge about an $18 item. He wanted to know how to "pick it up" if he bought it. I msg'd him back politely that it's not something I do. ( I know "lotz" of you are OK with that but having owned a brick and mortar high end shop for a couple of decades I had my fill of roberies.)  so my shipping threshgold may be $8K but my Hold for "Hickup" is zero.  Bin there. Dun that. 

ricarmic...."I worried the whole trip, broke all my "don't watch the tracking" etc, and the worry in the end was wasted as it arrived and buyer was happy."  Yep, dun that too...

ricarmic..."so I did call the buyer as a premptive measure to make sure I wasn't going to have to pay for 10 bankers boxes to come back from the US. The buyer was surprised and maybe even shocked to hear from me and my concern about whether they were getting what they really wanted. It was an auckward call, but things seemed fine so off they went and all was well."   This is part of my advice to @road_warrior.2008 

It takes a bit of "go-nads" to sell online.  It's easy for the bad guys/girls/persons to hide behind the internet. It takes "go-nads" to call your customer (buyer is what they are to eBay not you. To you they are your 'customer". Anyone in retail is comfortable calling a customer.

They may never pickup.  The number could be OOS.  No problem. If they do pickup it makes everything REAL for both parties. Regardless of what happens you gain perspective and are at liberty to contact eBay to express concerns. We are paying for protection.

@ricarmic  You have great "go-nads".

To @road_warrior.2008 , If concerns are warranted, call your customer (and your mom as often as possible). 

Message 20 of 26
latest reply