buyer asks to send to a different person and address

He won my item and asked to ship to a completely different person and address. Is it possible the buyer has made a side deal with another bidder on my item to keep the price down?

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You could also state that a buyer must specify a Primary Shipping Address on eBay before a purchase is made.... this address becomes the address on Paypal and cannot be changed on Paypal.

A buyer can add a new address when they check out and indicate that is where they want the item sent. They then pay using that address and it will show as the payment address on both PP and eBay.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

I get this situation fairly regularly, in my case it is folks buying presents, normally for their parents (father) and they want them sent to them.

I live in a fairly "safe" world of stamps.... so far I've never had a problem shipping to the other person. It is best if you get them to make sure the payment address matches the shipping address.

Message 2 of 40
latest reply

What the buyer desires to do and for whom is not the relevant concern. If you ship to anyone, anywhere that is not the person on the paypal payment, you lose Seller Protection.

That's not to say, I haven't taken that calculated risk. Is this a valuable item? Most likely, the request stems from a gifting, not a side hustle. 

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

Also, your bidders are not known to each other. That's all confidential. Only you can see who they are, not each other. This changed a long time ago, there were problems with the degree of transparency.

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

Tell him politely that you will be happy to ship to a different address, but you cannot print the shipping label unless the new address is on his Paypal account.

If he is honest, he will change it an pay.

If the account is hijacked, he won't be able to.

It doesn't work as well for buyers as it does for sellers, but if there has been a long gap since his last purchases, hijacking is a possiblity.

An OscarMeyer Weinermobile Bank?

Thank you for continuing the fine but weird traditions of eBay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKtlK7sn0JQ

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

Is the message you received from the same ebay id that purchased the item? If not, then ignore the message as you don't know who it is from.  Has the buyer already paid? If not, tell him that he can add the new name and address through ebay when he is making payment.

If the buyer has already paid and the service you are using doesn't have delivery confirmation anyway, then it doesn't really matter if you send it to a different address as there is no way of proving the item was sent if there is an item not received claim opened. I've sent items to new addresses a few times and never had a problem but it is up to you how you handle it.  Ebay has said that if the buyer specifies in an ebay message that they want it sent to a new address, they will look at the messages and you could win the claim if you have delivery confirmation to the new address. But if a PP claim was opened, PP would rule in the buyer's favour if the item was sent to an address other than what was used with payment.

If payment has been made already and you are uncomfortable sending to a new address, you would have to cancel the sale through ebay (use the reason problem with address) and ask the buyer to make the purchase again.  You could relist it as a fixed price listing at a really high price with a make offer function. Ask the buyer to make an offer for what they originally paid for the item and you will accept the offer. You would want to prevent someone different from buying that same item before the buyer does which is why I suggested using the offer function.

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

A few times I have shipped items to a different person & address. Most times someone in the US bought a gift for a friend who lived in Canada.  I always send the parcel with tracking & a signature & have never had a problem. Not sure if I would take a chance for another country though.

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

I prefer using the customer's eBay ID as the title for these special listings. The high price might panic the customer. But Best Offer is a possibility.

Most of the OP's items would be parcel service, and most, but not all, parcels are tracked.

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

I do the same as femme, for special listings* except I only use part of the ebay id to protect the buyer, for example if I made one for femme its title would be:

"Special lot for femme"

*I make them the same price as the item they're buying (with a generic unidentifiable picture) but the item description for curious folks is:

As per messages

If you're not femme, check out all the 1,000s of other items in my store, there's something for everyone there:

Please click here to see more interesting and unusual items in my eBay store!!

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

Yes, Custom Bundles. I love offering those: I leave the price the same but put a buyer ID or some portion thereof (with advance permission) in the title, Item Specifics as a Custom field, and also in the listing Description with a section of text that says 'this so-and-so is for so-and-so only. If you'd like one for yourself, please contact me etc or check out of store at blah-blah'. I've done dozens, never had another random buyer come along, although I have had lots of extra, sudden views. Nosy Parkers, I guess. 

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

Yep it was the burst of views that I also noticed that prompted my entrepreneurial spirit to come up with the if youre not blah blah go look at my other stuff phrase... who knows if it ever prompted a sale, but its free and doesn't cost any work...so it can't hurt!
Message 11 of 40
latest reply

Everyone loves to know what someone else is getting and what it is that they cannot have because it's going to someone else. I have three small children, this social experiment plays out several times a day here. 

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

If buyer has already paid...

Refund the Payment.... and send an invoice through Paypal with the new address.

Explain this to the buyer...... and then state that you only ship to the address that is associated with the Paypal payment.... Paypal rules

Once had this situation...  buyer was very perplexed.....  but followed through with the payment with the new Paypal invoice......  Suspected buyer was playing me for a free item.....  and suspected buyer knew exactly why I did what I did.

You could also state that a buyer must specify a Primary Shipping Address on eBay before a purchase is made....  this address becomes the address on Paypal   and cannot be changed on Paypal.

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

You could also state that a buyer must specify a Primary Shipping Address on eBay before a purchase is made.... this address becomes the address on Paypal and cannot be changed on Paypal.

A buyer can add a new address when they check out and indicate that is where they want the item sent. They then pay using that address and it will show as the payment address on both PP and eBay.

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense!
Message 15 of 40
latest reply

It's not that valuable but it sold for a lot less than expected. But you are right. they have no buyer protection and I will notify them of that the next time. Thanks.
Message 16 of 40
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. And yes I have a lot of crazy stuff!!
Message 17 of 40
latest reply

Thanks. There are a lot of things I need to learn.
Message 18 of 40
latest reply

Thanks for the reply!
Message 19 of 40
latest reply

I didn't know that! That is very helpful! Thank you and all who replied!
Message 20 of 40
latest reply