eBay Managed Payment & US exchange rates

I am not a big fan of the Managed Payment system in eBay, mostly because I sell on both sites & my Paypal account was in US funds tied to a US bank. It was always pretty hand to have some US funds in my Paypal account to shop with on eBay.  Now we must tie it to a Canadian dollar account. So in looking at the exchange rate eBay gives us compared to my financial institution over a number of transactions I find that they are always lower. It is not a big amount usually no more than a couple of pennies. Has anyone else noticed this? I was doing a survey for eBay today & I did mention this & that I felt we should be able to have the option of having a US dollar account in a Canadian bank for our US sales. But having noticed this difference in rates I fear it will never happen as it is only a few cents but multiply that over a lot of transactions & it adds up.

When I initially signed up for MP the eBay rep actually told me I could have a US dollar account so had a bit of an issue with that for a couple of days. Wondering if this will ever be an option. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Sellers have choice of Cdn$ or US$ payouts (but not both) when setting up Managed Payments.

-;-

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

You must have a Canadian bank.

You must have a chequing account.

The account can be in Canadian or US dollars.

The problem may be that many Canadian banks don't offer chequing accounts in US dollars for private customers, only for commercial accounts.

And the fees on commercial accounts can be a great deal higher-- like a fee for every deposit and no free cheques.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@katlover1952 wrote:

When I initially signed up for MP the eBay rep actually told me I could have a US dollar account so had a bit of an issue with that for a couple of days. 

What do you mean by that, exactly?

As mentioned earlier, the option for having a US dollar account with a Canadian bank (on Canadian soil) has been available for a while now, although it wasn't an option when Managed Payments was first rolled out for Canadian sellers.  It sounds as though there might have been a bit of confusion when you spoke to eBay Customer Service.

As far as your exchange rate concerns go, are you comparing apples to apples?  There are actually two exchange rates that banks and other financial institution uses: a "buy" rate and a "sell" rate and they can be quite different.  This example shows a seven-cent difference between the two:

https://www.tdcommercialbanking.com/rates/index.jsp

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Yes in the rate I used in both case is the rate that they would pay me if buying Us from me. I worked in the FI for over 25 years so learned that one well.

When I initially was required to sign on to Managed Payments in April I was told by the first rep that I could have a US account in my Canadian bank but found out after I opened it from another rep that was not the case so had to close it & reopen a Canadian funds account. Initially with my Paypal I had a US dollar account.

So am I to understand now that I could have a US account & they would transfer the US sales into my account as per the amount of the sale less fees (no exchange)?  Of course as they will only allow one account(or has this changed as well?)  then they would charge exchange on the Canadian sales to transfer to US so may not be any further ahead. Not sure why you could not have a bank account in both currencies. Always seemed to work well with Paypal.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@katlover1952 wrote:

Yes in the rate I used in both case is the rate that they would pay me if buying Us from me. I worked in the FI for over 25 years so learned that one well.

Adyen's Canadian operations are a lot smaller than those of one of the major Canadian chartered banks, so they may not be able to buy and sell currencies at the same rates as the banks are getting, or they just may not be dealing with enough volume to warrant a lower markup.  That may change as they take on more clients outside of eBay and get more muscle.

@katlover1952 wrote:

When I initially was required to sign on to Managed Payments in April I was told by the first rep that I could have a US account in my Canadian bank but found out after I opened it from another rep that was not the case so had to close it & reopen a Canadian funds account. Initially with my Paypal I had a US dollar account.

If by "US dollar account" you mean a PayPal account in US dollars, then US dollars were all that PayPal offered in its early years.  I'm not sure when Canadian dollar accounts were made available, but PayPal Canada was established in 2006, about three years after you registered on eBay.

It sounds as though you made the transition to Managed Payments around the time that the option was initially offered to have your payouts made to a US dollar account with a Canadian financial institution.  My gut instincts say that this development happened faster than originally planned (or took longer to prepare than expected and was hastily introduced) and that eBay customer service reps were scrambling to get up to speed on this.  (The fact that we now have no eBay customer service reps based out of Canada really doesn't help things.)  There was--and probably still is--a lot of confusion about this, which is somewhat understandable given that I believe eBay's Canadian site is the only one that presently permits sellers to have their payouts in a currency other than their own country's.  

@katlover1952 wrote:

So am I to understand now that I could have a US account & they would transfer the US sales into my account as per the amount of the sale less fees (no exchange)?  Of course as they will only allow one account(or has this changed as well?)  then they would charge exchange on the Canadian sales to transfer to US so may not be any further ahead. Not sure why you could not have a bank account in both currencies. Always seemed to work well with Paypal.

You lost me a bit with your point about having a "bank account in both currencies".  Having worked in the financial industry, you'd know that there's no such thing.  One can hold PayPal balances in different currencies with the same PayPal account, but it's sort of like having your chequing and savings account separate but with the same bank branch.

Managed Payments is quite different from the PayPal-based system in many ways.  One difference is that Managed Payments is not a "holding pen" for funds the way that PayPal is; once your payout is ready it's supposed to "flow" right into your bank account with no need for intervention on your part, unlike with PayPal.  This "flow" may be one reason why one can only link a single bank account for payouts to their eBay ID.

My understanding is that Canadians having the ability to link US-based US dollar accounts to their PayPal accounts was a bit of a loophole that was enabled by all the "Snowbird" type services offered by Canadian banks.   The loss of this has caused some grief for some eBay sellers selling in US dollars, but what seems to have caused more grief for some longtime eBay sellers is if they registered on eBay.com back in the day.  The fact that their registration data is associated with the US site made it difficult from an IT-standpoint to link their Canadian bank account of choice to Managed Payments.  There haven't been posts from sellers in this point recently, so it may be all sorted out now.  If you're registered on eBay.com, you may have dodged a bullet.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Yes I know there is no such thing as one account with 2 different currencies & I meant an account in each currency that could be credited depending on the currency you are selling in. But as they currently only allow one account I do not suppose that is too likely to happen.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@katlover1952 wrote:

Yes I know there is no such thing as one account with 2 different currencies & I meant an account in each currency that could be credited depending on the currency you are selling in. But as they currently only allow one account I do not suppose that is too likely to happen.

The PayPal of twenty years ago wasn't anything like the PayPal of today, and I expect Managed Payments to be a similar work in progress with more features rolled out over time.  Considering how glitch-ridden it's been to get some sellers set up with just one bank account to link to Managed Payments, having two quite different types of bank accounts linked would probably cause a catastrophic systems failure at this point.  😂

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Am sure you are correct.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply