eBay message: "You’ve received a return request: please respond"

I just received a message directly from eBay in my inbox:

------------

We’re writing to let you know that one of your buyers has requested a return on an item you sold. Please visit your Returns Dashboard as soon as possible to resolve this issue.

It’s important to reach a solution with your buyer in the next 2 business days. To ensure the quickest resolution and the best experience for your buyer, we recommend accepting the return.

-------------

There is no mention of what transaction this return is for and when I click on "Return Dashboard", there's absolutely nothing.

Is this a mistake? If not, how can I easily spot which transaction it's for?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Mine all show in the Resolution Centre - an option under Account on your eBay page

http://res.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ResolutionCenter&ssPageName=PageResolutionCenter

If the buyer is in a non-English country do not be surprised if eBay tosses non-English text at you (I find babelfish useful for translation)

-..-

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Thanks but sadly (or luckily?), there are no return cases in there as well:

No open request or cases - No return requests are open.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@vip-marketplace wrote:

Thanks but sadly (or luckily?), there are no return cases in there as well:

No open request or cases - No return requests are open.

The bar/line under that should have View (which will give you a menu of display options) and Period (menu of  the time period to be viewed). It might have been opened then closed.

Did you also get the message via the eBay mail system?

It seems really odd that the item in question is not mentioned in the email (it does for INR cases, but I've had no return requests to deal with).

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@vip-marketplace wrote:

I just received a message directly from eBay in my inbox:

------------

We’re writing to let you know that one of your buyers has requested a return on an item you sold. Please visit your Returns Dashboard as soon as possible to resolve this issue.

It’s important to reach a solution with your buyer in the next 2 business days. To ensure the quickest resolution and the best experience for your buyer, we recommend accepting the return.

-------------

There is no mention of what transaction this return is for and when I click on "Return Dashboard", there's absolutely nothing.

Is this a mistake? If not, how can I easily spot which transaction it's for?

Thanks!

I think you are being Phished.....the language isn't right, there isn't a 2 day deadline, eBay doesn't recommend accepting, details of the buyer and item should be included, message should be addressed to you by name, message should be in My Messages.

If you clicked any links within the message that required a log-in then you should change your passwords immediately.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I'd check the new Returns section as well as a link to the old Resolution Centre to see if any cases are open. 

Some of the Global ebay sites don't link immediately to the new Returns area and instead go to the old Resolution Centre. 

But DO NOT click on any links in that email. It sounds very much like Phishing: short on actual details and heavy on the urgency. If you have open Return request cases within ebay, you will see that reflected somewhere.

Also double-check with your paypal account. Just to be safe. 

Remember, don't click on any embedded links. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I've had situations when eBay messages were staggered in the sense that they appear in my regular mail but take a while to show on my eBay (and vice versa of course).

Maybe it's still coming.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Scammers are getting more and more clever.

My sister just sent me a fake eBay Guest Order for an iPhone costing $350 usd designed to lure the receiver into clicking Cancel Order... and get hacked.
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I received a return request from a really wacko a few days ago.  She wanted to returned the item because she bought it somewhere else that is 50 cents cheaper and she is paying the return shipping!!  She could have keep it!!  What a wacko!!

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I agree with other posters that this could be a fake email used to steal your password and ID. Be careful and change all your associated password and account.
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

OP here

You got me worried for a second but the message came in my eBay message box (not an e-mail) and was definitely sent by eBay since it was in the "From eBay" section of the mailbox.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Very strange. Well, at least you can be relatively assured you were not phished.

And are there any open cases in your Returns section or Resolution Centre now?

If there is still nothing to be found, I think if it were me in your shoes, I'd call ebay to find out what is going on.

The reason being that if there is in fact some kind of 'invisible' Returns request, you are limited in time as a seller for how long you can take to decide whether to accept it or not and then if ebay 'steps in' to manage that because you have failed to respond, you could get dinged on your account for being 'uncooperative'. 

Know what I mean?

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Did this turn out to be the return request generated by the bad customer in the other thread you just opened?
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Nah it was a few days before. I hadn't heard from this customer yet at that time­.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply