ebay.ca promotions use USD, but we can't sell in USD, double standards continue.

Hi all, been away a long time. Anyway just received this offer from ebay, the dot ca site, and below is the dot ca link.

The promotion mentions USD money. We can't sell in USD (yes i know go to dot com etc)

Why does ebay keep forcing all these useless rules but then turn around and ignore their own?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://reward.ebay.ca/rwdwebui/activateOffer?Param2=022c4f9b-59bd-421b-855f-662d5bd28669&Param3=Buc...

CONGRATULATIONS!

You've activated the eBay Bucks bonus offer.

Earn 10% in eBay Bucks on all qualifying items of USD $25 or more!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

ebay.ca promotions use USD, but we can't sell in USD, double standards continue.

@dgour98 wrote:

Hi all, been away a long time. Anyway just received this offer from ebay, the dot ca site, and below is the dot ca link.

The promotion mentions USD money. We can't sell in USD (yes i know go to dot com etc)

US$ or CANADIAN$ equivalent

from the eBucks terms and conditions:
"If the Qualifying Spend was for items listed on www.ebay.com, www.ebay.ca, or www.cafr.ebay.ca in Canadian dollars, the Reward amount will be calculated based on the exchange rate available to eBay at the time of payment"

-..-

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@dgour98 wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://reward.ebay.ca/rwdwebui/activateOffer?Param2=022c4f9b-59bd-421b-855f-662d5bd28669&Param3=Buc...

CONGRATULATIONS!

You've activated the eBay Bucks bonus offer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

???

This is a promo for buyers... why do you mention selling?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Because as a seller USD is now taboo, nono, can't use anymore.
Yet they turn around and use USD as bar to use.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Nope.

You can sell in USD. I do.

So do many if not most Canadian sellers.

On any given site, you have to list in the currency of that site's country.

On dotCA, you list in loonies.

On dotCOM, you must list in USD.

On dotDE, you list in euros.

If you do not list on dotCA, you must use Flat Rate Shipping.

So if your products are over 2cm thick and 500 grams, you are safer to use Calculated Shipping and stick with dotCA.

In any case, if your customer is Searching your product shows on any site you will ship to.

If you list in loonies, but ship to the USA , the customer on dotCOM sees your price in Search in USD.

If you list in loonies and ship to Germany , the customer on dotDE sees your price in Search in euros.

And if you list in USD on dotCOM,your Canadian customer sees your price in Search in loonies.

Further, you get paid in the currency you sell in.

If you sold an item listed on dotCA,you get paid in loonies.

If you sold an item listed on dotCOM you get paid in USD-- but Paypal charges you to move your money from USD to loonies when you transfer it to your bank-- whether you have a USD bank account or a Canadian dollar bank account.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@dgour98 wrote:
Because as a seller USD is now taboo, nono, can't use anymore.
Yet they turn around and use USD as bar to use.

Utter nonsense.

eBucks is for US$  or  Canadian$  purchases.

Canadian sellers can still sell in US$ -- nothing taboo about that.

-..-

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I also thought it was dumb to see an ebay Canada promo discuss a minimum purchase in USD. We do have our own currency in Canada, after all, and this promo went to Canadian users.

If I'm shopping on ebay.ca as a Canadian buyer, I am in fact looking for listings in CAD. If I want to spend USD and think about currency conversions and its associated fees, I go to ebay.com and shop in USD there. 

It's not like it should have strained anyone's brain to rewrite the terms to indicate a Canadian needed to spend a minimum of $33 CAD to use the promo. They could even have said $33 CAD (or $25 USD) if they wanted but, if memory serves correctly, there was no mention of the equivalent CAD amount in the terms. At least not those in the banner.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

There, I fixed it. 

You're welcome, ebay Canada!

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 9.51.44 PM.png

Message 8 of 8
latest reply