help returns unmanageable

Hi

i have started loosing considerable amount of money on eBay returns. I find that despite of clear photos showing the item and my best abilities to describe the item, after purchase sellers that retail wold return back under different claims. 

- For example a MOP (mother o pearl) attribute selected erroneously in the mandatory attributes triggered a refund despite of my description having stated it was porcelain.

- a "New old stock" description of the item quality is triggering a refund just because the item was monogramed although clear photos show the monogram.. 

- an expensive statue well packed, is arriving packed differently and broken. Likely opened by postal office for inspection. 

- a "Missing Key" wind although never having mentioned of its existence nor that I will ship one forces me to buy a whole set just to send one. 

It seems that each word or details i add,  works against me when the seller insight me is knowing that adding more details should help. 

What should I do? No longer ad description but only photos? Not add attributes at all? State clearly something like "AS IS"  and that i do not take returns?  Are you taking items back regularly?  I am from Canada. Every time I take back a return it would cost me at least 40 dollars not an easy loss to swallow 😞 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Let's start with "No Returns does not mean No Refunds".

It just means you are telling the buyer and eBay that you don't want it back.

If the buyer Disputes, you will be refunding.

mother o pearl) attribute selected erroneously in the mandatory attributes

Who selected it? If it was you, it is your responsibility.

because the item was monogramed

A monogram is often a post-sale option, which is then "used" not New Old Stock. Some items are manufactured with a monogram, though.

That the item is monogrammed should probably be in the Title when you relist.

arriving packed differently and broken.

That's a nasty one. It comes down to, since you packed it, and since you chose the shipper, you are responsible for safe arrival.

Why would the PO /customs open a parcel? Was the customs form not completely filled out?

Bookmark this -- https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/wtz/business/findHsCode?execution=e1s1

Not only does it look very "official" (because it is), but it may solve language problems, another reason that customs opens packages.

The PO doesn't perhaps for something that may contain volatile liquids, and do include a notice of why they did, in my experience.

a "Missing Key" wind

If something could be expected to be included and isn't, we really have to say so.
I notice this in used books. Some booksellers note that CDs may not be included -- even though CDs are normally only in textbooks and what is being offered is a pre-1970 paperback.

And sometimes it is worth telling the buyer that you will be sending a Return Shipping Label.

We can send USPS shipping labels through Shippo.  Most Americans don't realize that.

In a formal Dispute, if a label is sent but not used, the seller wins the Dispute and keeps the payment, and further, the buyer cannot leave Feedback.

If you are having more than one percent of your sales being Disputed, you are above the retail average, and well above the eBay average.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Tonight I just got a negative from a buyer who bought a watch mechanism just because he thought it look cool. Of course after receiving it withouth bothering to contact, thinking it broke during shipping they've just rushed in leaving negative, claiming to not be working.
Automatic movements must first be brought to motion a couple of minutes to run for God's sake. Buyers should not be allowed to leave neg withouth sending a contact to sellers.
These are little things ebay should consider implementing in order to protect sellers.
Monday I will be doing exactly what all other sellers did. I would be renting a cabinet in an antique Mall with 40 dollars a month + 10% from sales, continuying to sell at ST. Lawrence Sunday market in Toronto.
Today I understand why all other sellers I talked to have stopped selling on ebay. Cancelling all of my listing now, done with paypal and done with this. As a seller I need more protection, unfortunatedly I cannot afford to operate like a Walmart. If ebay only wants businesses who can afford losing money so be it!
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Probably one last thing to ad typing from my phone's midget keyboard since I am always on the run is that someone should really consider adopting different policies per category rather than general. Someone purchasing a book will ever return or be unhappy about it while someone buying clothing should return with forcible agreement, but the electronics sector , antiques, art should be regulated better. Buying a mechanical watch or delicate antiques by clumsy ppl must not be refundable. This is a policy applicable in billion of antique stores across the mapamond.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply