hey. Can you help me with this confusing thing about my selling limits?

following are two screen shots

here it says I reached my limits for this month

Screenshot from 2018-04-07 16-57-23.png

here it says I have 41 left Active

Screenshot from 2018-04-07 16-59-21.png

Message 1 of 134
latest reply
133 REPLIES 133

@femmefan1946 wrote:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Punch in a few random numbers.

And for postal codes-  K0A 0A6 / V8W 1P6/ 90210

Parcel rates are by weight, dimensions, and destination.

Letter rates are by weight and dimensions.

A bubble envelope is already 1 cm thick. Poly envelopes weigh less than paper envelopes.

If you don't want the carrier to fold it, you need a stiffener which will also weigh something.

I was in Canadian Tire this week and they have StarFrit digital kitchen scales on sale for about $12.

Screenshot from 2018-04-10 16-48-02.pngok I followed your advice and for this info which is from my place to Hamilton Ontario

it gives me 4 options the cheapest of which is the following and it includes all of the following

Screenshot from 2018-04-10 17-00-38.png

but what does it mean when it says 2 business days. The buyer will have it by then or it will ship then?

and these measurements are of the item itself or the box and whatever it includes? Thanks for your patience

and

@momcqueen

what is your own take on this? Ofcourse it will more likely cost much less because I am sure even in a small box it will not be 1 kilo altogether. And would you say I should offer calculated shipping since it might cost much more for gas and all if it is to go to vancouver for instance?

Message 21 of 134
latest reply

@vintagetonow2134 wrote:
I Bought 2 things. One arived. One is on the way. One thing was a yarn paid 4 something tax including and shipping was free. The other think is a flash drive. My yarn was in a bubble envelop that is it. It arrived well

My feedback count was 177 before I dared to attempt selling. That's 177 separate transactions from 177 different sellers in many corners of the world. Despite that, I still made many errors which cost me significant sums of money. Because I hadn't learned the ropes of selling.

If you have a long-term interest in success here, you need to approach this like a professional. 

Study the Canada Post website. Study the ebay-created tutorials. Take the advice given to you. Pack and measure your post-office-ready items before you list them. And you need a KITCHEN scale not a bathroom scale. We're talking grams here, not kilograms. How many kilograms do you think a bare diecast car weighs?

Message 22 of 134
latest reply

@vintagetonow2134 wrote:
 wrote:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Punch in a few random numbers.

And for postal codes-  K0A 0A6 / V8W 1P6/ 90210

Parcel rates are by weight, dimensions, and destination.

Letter rates are by weight and dimensions.

A bubble envelope is already 1 cm thick. Poly envelopes weigh less than paper envelopes.

If you don't want the carrier to fold it, you need a stiffener which will also weigh something.

I was in Canadian Tire this week and they have StarFrit digital kitchen scales on sale for about $12.

Screenshot from 2018-04-10 16-48-02.pngok I followed your advice and for this info which is from my place to Hamilton Ontario

it gives me 4 options the cheapest of which is the following and it includes all of the following

but what does it mean when it says 2 business days. The buyer will have it by then or it will ship then?

and these measurements are of the item itself or the box and whatever it includes? Thanks for your patience

and

momcqueen

what is your own take on this? Ofcourse it will more likely cost much less because I am sure even in a small box it will not be 1 kilo altogether. And would you say I should offer calculated shipping since it might cost much more for gas and all if it is to go to vancouver for instance?

It will NOT cost any less than $2 less than that price you have quoted which is almost $16.

Yes, it is weight and dimension of the box or envelope packed for shipment. Canada Post doesn't care what you mail as long as it's not prohibited for export or dangerous goods.

This is the reason you need to learn the ropes as a buyer here before you start selling.

It is clear to me that you didn't look at the Find a Rate section of the Canada Post website any of the times we advised you to do so. There is an insignificant difference in the price of postage for a tracked item regardless of whether it weighs 100g or 989 g. You pay for the distance and the tracking before you pay for the weight. 

And, yes, two business days is the delivery estimate. Canada Post doesn't give a hoot how long you take to mail your parcel, that's ebay's job to oversee that you meet your handling time if you want to sell here.

I welcome you to ebay and wish you the best in your challenges to come. But I don't think I can keep giving you the same advice over and over again. 

And find someplace NOT against a marbled countertop to take your pictures. It looks dirty. You want to be able to concentrate on your work, not make a spectacle of yourself at a coffeeshop while working. 

Message 23 of 134
latest reply

Walmart and other places have very cheap (like $7) flat black 20" x 30" foamboard (cardboard on both outsides and sort of foam in the middle) that works great for taking pictures.....95% of my lot pictures are taken on this.....
Message 24 of 134
latest reply

And paying for Signature on Delivery for a $10 item is an ill-advised, unnecessary expense. You need it at $750 CAD for item plus postage to be covered by ebay. 

Message 25 of 134
latest reply

I concentrate quite well. The place is almost dead. Which is why I chose it.
Message 26 of 134
latest reply

NO, NO - your scale is no good.

You need a digital scale like the one suggested to you or a small Nextech.

Message 27 of 134
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

And paying for Signature on Delivery for a $10 item is an ill-advised, unnecessary expense. You need it at $750 CAD for item plus postage to be covered by ebay. 

but it says 1.50 look at the pic

Message 28 of 134
latest reply

@vintagetonow2134 wrote:

@momcqueen wrote:

but it says 1.50 look at the pic

You pay an extra $1.50 for Signature Confirmation on top of the cost of shipping a parcel with tracking. It serves no purpose on an item valued at $10, tracking alone is more than sufficient. Ebay only requires its sellers to get Signatures on Delivery for transactions where $750 CAD and upwards have changed hands. It will make a buyer irritated to have to go to the postal counter to pick up a $10-doodad that should have been left in their mailbox. That might take me an hour to do as your customer, and it means I've wasted an hour of my day when I could have been working or feeding my kids or sleeping. 

What makes you think Signature Confirmaiton is required on any of the items that you're selling at present? 

Message 29 of 134
latest reply

You need one that weighs in grams. My Starfrit one goes up to about 5 kilos.
Message 30 of 134
latest reply

• Spend $15 for a StarFrit digital scale at Canadian Tire.
  • Bathroom scales are for weighing naked people before breakfast and after that morning poop. Most are wrong by at least 5 kg (too high).
  • Signature Confirmation is a $1.50 option on top of the cost of the shipping service. I shipped a $200 item today for $9.50 (it weighed 440 gm) and did not use Signature Confirmation.
  • 28290965358 - you can buy a ruler for less than $2.00. You can buy a fabric tape measure for under $5 and a metal one for $15 while you are at Canadian Tire buying a digital scale.  If you want to use a 'thing' as a comparitive measure -- like a coke can-- put the'thing' in the picture.

The sheet of foamboard is a brilliant idea. Stamps like ricarmic's are traditionally shown on black backgrounds, but you could use a different colour and make it a brand.

These questions are common among new sellers. Although you don't seem to be learning much, I think other newbies will find these a 'webinar' in themselves.

Message 32 of 134
latest reply

You can use lettermail within Canada if the item in the package is 2cm or less. If it is any thicker than that it must be sent as a parcel.  Within Canada small parcels are mainly priced based on distance and size  for up to 750 grams.  This means that a 100 gr parcel that is 15x15x15cm sent from Edmonton to Calgary will cost exactly the same as a package that is 15x15x15cm that weighs 750 grams.  So even a small package can end up costing quite a bit.  And because the pricing is also based on dimensions a 750 gr package that is 30x30x30cm is going to cost more than a 750gr package in a smaller box.

It is all a bit confusing to begin with which is why you need to do your research before you list.  You need to know the size and weight of the package so that you can set up the calculated shipping in the listing   If you are using lettermail then you would use a flat rate. 

Unlike  Mo, I had only purchased one or two items on eBay before I started selling but I did tons of research before I listed and in those days, eBay was less complicated than it is now.   I also owned my own business for years and that background helped here as well.  But even though I had that experience I was constantly reading and doing research here on the best things to sell here and the best way to list them.

It is fine to ask questions here but it is better to do your research first so that you are not blindly asking things. Also, read other posts on the boards so that you can read about problems and solutions from other sellers.  But keep in mind that people tend to post about problems they have here, not the good experiences  so don’t be overwhelmed by the problems.

i see that you are selling with local pickup only. Is that just temporary?  If not, you might want to sell those things on a site like kijiji.

Message 33 of 134
latest reply

I didn't realize it has a tracking by default. I thought we choose whether or not it will have a tracking and since I didn't see any mention of tracking. Or didn't realize there was one. I saw that and I clicked that. But don't worry it was just a mockup to get a basic idea. I didn't click enter. So no harm done
Message 34 of 134
latest reply

ok I know that one. It's like the one used to weigh jewellery
Message 35 of 134
latest reply

i revised them until I figure this thing out. Cause apparently I was charging shipping too little.
Message 36 of 134
latest reply

@vintagetonow2134 wrote:
I didn't realize it has a tracking by default. I thought we choose whether or not it will have a tracking and since I didn't see any mention of tracking. Or didn't realize there was one. I saw that and I clicked that. But don't worry it was just a mockup to get a basic idea. I didn't click enter. So no harm done

You thought that you had to check off tracking in order to have tracking....have you gone to the Canada Post site at all to see which services are available and what they include?   As I said in my other post, it's great to ask questions but it really is up to you to do some research first so that you have a basic idea of what you are doing.  People here don't mind helping out but it does take time to answer all of your questions so you really need to put some effort in first so that you are not consistently asking questions that you should already know the answer to.

Message 37 of 134
latest reply

“But don't worry it was just a mockup to get a basic idea. I didn't click enter. So no harm done.”

I’ve visited the Canada Post website thousands of times, I’m aware you can’t buy postage from the Find a Rate section. The harm done is not the harm that you’re anticipating. One of the first things 145+ posts of yours ago that you were advised to do was visit the Canada Post website and learn to use it. You cannot sell online unless you know how to assign and purchase postage. It’s as basic as crawling. It’s not easy, but it’s basic.

Many of us have invested dozens of hours of our lives telling you the same thing. The regular board posters that you see here today? We’ve spent time telling you what to do and how to do it. Repeating ourselves and each other. We are generous with our time and expertise or we wouldn’t be here but there comes a time where even the most kind and patient of us is going to run out of time and patience.

You should know that domestic parcels are tracked. This is like knowing there are 26 letters in the alphabet. If you had experience as a buyer, you would have gleaned the difference between items that arrive in envelopes with just your name on it, and ones that arrive with a bar code. And what you as a buyer had to pay for each. To go from no experience as an online shopper to an online seller? It’s like walking into City Hall on your 17th birthday and expecting you’ll be immediately elected mayor.

Message 38 of 134
latest reply

ok I looked into it some more. And as I was searching I found out I can buy from canada post a flat rate box it's 14.99 and if it fits it ships upto maximum of 5 kg (small size)
but I need your opinion. Is it a reasonable package for a little car toy like the ones you saw I listed? Or should I look for other options? Thanks
Message 39 of 134
latest reply

Maybe ask yourself this: would *YOU* pay $3+$14.99 for that worn out toy car? Would you find anyone on Kijiji willing to pay that much for an used toy car? A new toy car in a new box would cost less.

Not to be rude, but I honestly don't see any collectible value in that toy car since it's in such a bad shape, it even got what looks like tape residual and what not. If I'm looking for something with sentimental value, I'd look for something in good shape, with original box and such.

It has been weeks since you have been asking questions here and you still can't figure out the shipping part (most essential) of online selling. I'm gonna go back to one of my first advice to you: stick to Kijiji and Facebook.
Message 40 of 134
latest reply